Recommend Mlok FF handguards for laser use

Default.mp3

Established
I would also be curious as to the performance of the V7 Enlightened Handguard, as it has a fairly long barrel nut, but unlike the Noveske NSR it's based on, is made of 2055, so the lighter construction may be balanced out by the material's physical characteristics.

The ALG handguards may be a good budget choice, compared to the older Geisseles.

chasnojm

As far as how much this effects the real world. You can see deflection down range when loading a bipod or a sling hard. This is why you want to have the RAPTAR mounted up by the scope and not on the rail and why people will move their sling back by the receiver when using an IR laser. You can also move the IR laser further back towards the receiver to minimize the effects of deflection.

First off, thanks for your prospective on this. It definitely sheds light on areas where only a few have seen, leaving a lot to speculation.

I find it interesting that a technique to decrease the effect of deflection is to move the laser to the rear of the rail (closer to the receiver), but this is directly opposite of how one would optimally place the laser for employment (as far forward (towards the muzzle) as you can). This being to prevent blooming off the rail, lights etc and possibly blocking the laser completely. Quoting Chuck P "If you have your PEQ laser mounted behind your hand, you don't fight at night".

user12358

Quoting Chuck P "If you have your PEQ laser mounted behind your hand, you don't fight at night".

This is definitely 100% correct and I wouldn't recommend running a laser behind your hand on a night fighting rig but I also do advocate for not using anything longer than a 12.5", with a 11.5" being optimal for me, to keep rail length down low so you can still run the laser off at the very end of the rail and still have a 0-500m gun. I also run a PEQ hanging as far off the RIS II as I can while still getting the full mount on just to minimize splash from the can if it is a full time suppressed gun and you don't have to worry about the muzzle blast.

There was a decent article written by, I believe, Jeff G. explaining why he runs his laser behind but the core of his argument was he was fighting almost exclusively during the day and the PEQ was mostly an after thought.