Recommend an EDC folder?

marcwells

Hello all. I am new here. Does anyone make (or know someone who makes) nice, wood handles, or pocket knives? I am looking for a welcome to the family present for my son-in-law who has a collection of them and would like to find something unique. I looked on Etsy and the choices are overwhelming plus I'd like to support someone locally if I can.

marcwells

Hello all. I am new here. Does anyone make edc knives(or know someone who makes) nice, wood handles, or pocket knives? I am looking for a welcome to the family present for my son-in-law who has a collection of them and would like to find something unique. I looked on Etsy and the choices are overwhelming plus I'd like to support someone locally if I can.
no response

Smith

Sorry, just getting into knives myself and I have zero qualifying skills :)

While I'm here: I got a folder for the first time ever a while ago, a cheapo ($25?) Kershaw. Pretty disappointing, maybe not surprising for the money. Out of the box it was quite dull and wouldn't cut paper bags. I sharpened it up a bit, but am not great at that. It ended up cutting bags and a few other things, but wasn't nearly as sharp as a cheapo box cutter. It also was unergonomic in that I couldn't open it consistently even with practice, especially with wet hands. Ended up getting rid of it.

I think I'll try a Spyderco next, that big hole should help me open it consistently. Plus for their prices I expect higher quality than the cheap stuff I had.

Brookser

Sorry, just getting into knives myself and I have zero qualifying skills :)

While I'm here: I got a folder for the first time ever a while ago, a cheapo ($25?) Kershaw. Pretty disappointing, maybe not surprising for the money. Out of the box it was quite dull and wouldn't cut paper bags. I sharpened it up a bit, but am not great at that. It ended up cutting bags and a few other things, but wasn't nearly as sharp as a cheapo box cutter. It also was unergonomic in that I couldn't open it consistently even with practice, especially with wet hands. Ended up getting rid of it.

I think I'll try a Spyderco next, that big hole should help me open it consistently. Plus for their prices I expect higher quality than the cheap stuff I had.
Give Spyderco a fair shot, I've got their Dragonfly2 model from https://gritroutdoors.com/outdoor-survival for my survival kit and it's been my go-to knife ever since! Currently thinking about getting one of their newer models for EDC ;)

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
Hello all. I am new here. Does anyone make (or know someone who makes) nice, wood handles, or pocket knives? I am looking for a welcome to the family present for my son-in-law who has a collection of them and would like to find something unique. I looked on Etsy and the choices are overwhelming plus I'd like to support someone locally if I can.

no response
PM out. Best to make a new thread for your request.

Smith

Just got my hands on a Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight. Action is very smooth, and I can open it much more reliably using the spydey hole. It's also super sharp. Very happy so far. The blade is very.. broad (?) compared to its length, so it feels pretty hefty like I could cut a small tree down lol. Length wise it's smaller than I'd expected, and it's light as the name implies, so should be nice for EDC.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
Spyderco has some great choices. I had a Native among others overseas. Carried a Dragonfly at work (size restrictions), and now carry a slightly nicer, and costlier, Lil Native. I have the bigger brother, the Shaman, too. That one is a big beefy knife that's a bit overkill, but carries smaller than it is thanks to its ergos.

Smith

Been EDC'ing the Para 3 Lightweight for about a week now. It really disappears into my pocket, I don't feel it and forget about it until I need it. I wish the pocket clip wasn't a bright natural metal color, as that contrasts quite a bit against dark pants. But no biggie.

I've noticed a screw missing, not sure if it was never there or if it came lose. They're sending me a new one.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
Been EDC'ing the Para 3 Lightweight for about a week now. It really disappears into my pocket, I don't feel it and forget about it until I need it. I wish the pocket clip wasn't a bright natural metal color, as that contrasts quite a bit against dark pants. But no biggie.

I've noticed a screw missing, not sure if it was never there or if it came lose. They're sending me a new one.
Lynch makes deep carry pocket clips for many Spydercos in many different finishes. They may have something that suits you better.

5150Magnet

Amateur
I know everyone's EDC is different depending on how often they use it or what they use it for, but I really like the Spyderco Delica. It's certainly not the end all be all, but it's a great choice if you want something slim and lightweight. It literally being something you can clip on while wearing basketball shorts and forget it's there.

In the past I would carry a CRKT M16 variety, mainly because of the quality for the price and it's utility (spearpoint blade). The cost was definitely the main driving force of why I chose it. Its weight was what you would expect, but the build quality wasn't. When I bought my first one I was surprised of how well made it was for the price.

Smith

Lynch makes deep carry pocket clips for many Spydercos in many different finishes. They may have something that suits you better.

I got the "Blacksmith" finished one, which is the darkest they have that isn't cerakoted (I think). Very fast delivery and it looks awesome on the knife. So stealthy!