Recoil in a non 9mm p320

JPitts0117

Let me start by saying while my preferred caliber is 9mm and my dept lets me carry what ever I qualify with, my dept does issue a g22 and ammo for it. I have been debating on picking up a .40 p320 but wonder about the longevity of the system with the take down lever being the main source of retention for the fcu. Given how 40 beats the piss out of Glock frames with their 3 pin system how will it fare in a p320. Or other calibers for that fact, 357 sig. 45 acp or even the possible eventual 10mm over a long time

Yondering

I had a 320 Compact in 357 Sig, which is sort of the analog to a Glock 32 but really more in between the size of a 31 and 32 (or 22 and 23, etc).

I didn't shoot it enough to wear out or damage anything, but put a fair number of hot loads through it and do have a couple thoughts:

- Compared to both a Glock 31 and a 32 (full size and compact 357 Sig) my 320 was definitely snappier with the same full power ammo. I've put a lot of rounds through big bore magnum revolvers so I'm not talking about the 320 just "kicking too much" one shot at a time, but looking at it from the perspective of multiple shots in a string my 320 definitely gave up some time and control to the Glocks. I don't think this is the same with 9mm versions of each where recoil is mild enough to not matter much. My caveat here is that I've put a lot more rounds through Glocks than the 320, so it's what I'm more used to.

- The .40 and .357 are undersprung in these guns; Sig uses the same recoil springs for 9, 40, and 357. I had to make my own heavier spring, brass ejection was 20-30 feet and slide impact with the frame was a noticeable hit during recoil. Still, I never noticed any physical damage to the slide or frame components.

- This part may not matter to you, and may have been just my sample, but ballistics from my 320 were a full 100 fps slower with most of my loads than the Glock 32, even though it felt snappier. While that may not matter much on target, it seemed like a lose/lose situation in that area.

- A personal quibble: like most Sigs, this one shot low for me. I really don't like the way Sig sets their sights for a "combat hold" where the aim point is the center of the dot rather than the top of the sight like everybody else. That's not specific to the 320 though, and varies between users and different guns so YMMV.

Other than those things, I really liked the feel of the gun, and it was pretty accurate. Mine had a GreyGuns trigger in it which felt pretty good, and takedown was pretty straightforward and easy. The 320 grip modules (both full size and compact) feel great in my hand so I understand why some guys really like them.

Just one guys experience and opinions, but hope that helps.

Yondering

Almost forgot a gratuitous pic. I never did get around to installing suppressor sights to go with the RMR, but should have to complete the package.

4EOIs94l.jpg

JPitts0117

Only reason I pose the question is my dept issues a g22 and ammo... if I can shoot their ammo instead of mine might as well right. I’m not 100% sure why I let the idea bother me of the takedown lever being a single point of retention on a p320 when a lot of handguns use this system but for some reason it does

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Unfortunately I don’t have any direct experience with non-9mm P320s, but I’ve shot nothing but +P and NATO ammo through mine and neither show any signs of the FCU loosening up in the grip module. Anecdotally the several 40S&W/357SIG/45ACP P320 owners that I do know have not reported any issues with the FCU/takedown lever being a point of failure or concern.

If your department would let you swap out the grip module, there are a few companies with metal grip modules in the works that should completely eliminate this concern as a potential issue. One is just a few months away from being on the market

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Also if it helps, the takedown lever isn’t technically the sole point of retention for the FCU in the grip module. It slots into the grip in the rear fairly tightly, and that combined with the retention at the takedown lever hole makes for a fairly secure structure. But again, if it’s really that much of a concern for you, metal grip modules are in the near future

JPitts0117

Yeah I can switch out whatever I want as they are my personal weapons as long as I don’t make any mods that would make the weapon unsafe for duty use. I know the slots in the back hold the fcu securely but I also know 40 beats the living piss out of Glocks and most polymer guns that are chambered in it. I have only owned one metal frame gun in a 40(p226 DAK) and I didn’t keep it long enough to make any observations of damage to it

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Yeah I can switch out whatever I want as they are my personal weapons as long as I don’t make any mods that would make the weapon unsafe for duty use. I know the slots in the back hold the fcu securely but I also know 40 beats the living piss out of Glocks and most polymer guns that are chambered in it. I have only owned one metal frame gun in a 40(p226 DAK) and I didn’t keep it long enough to make any observations of damage to it

My recommendation then would be to go ahead and get the 40S&W P320. Use it with the standard polymer grip module for a while (or whichever polymer grip module you prefer, they’ll all work with the 40S&W slide assembly and magazines), and keep an eye on the fit of the FCU in the grip module. If you notice anything concerning after a few months, by that time there will be a metal grip module available on the market to switch over to that will be much more resilient to the snappier recoil

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
The great thing with the 320 platform is when/if they do, you’ll just have to swap out your slide assembly and magazines and you’ll be able to run the same gun with 9mm - Without having to buy a completely new pistol

JPitts0117

The chief has talked about it but hasn’t made any decisions yet. We’re currently issued gen 3 22s that are forever old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk