RDS transition question (re-post from FB)

MidGuardian

I initially asked this Q on FB. Per Landfair, re-posting here.

Original Post-https://www.facebook.com/groups/PSP...group_post_approved&notif_id=1486082592600522

Mods...not sure where this is best. Please advise if I need to move it. Also, I searched P&S and training and did not see a similar question.

My organization is entertaining allowing an RDS on duty pistols. Due to policy restrictions, I will only be able to use the issued RDS (I'll only get 1). I currently carry a Glock 19 EDC (AIWB covert/concealed plainclothes) and a G17 for duty (ie-warrant service, etc). I'm contemplating keeping irons on the G19 and putting the RDS on the G17.

So questions...
Assuming frequent switching between the the setups, what are the pitfalls in having two completely different optics setups on pistols? Can the pitfalls be overcome? I imagine a scenario where I go to the range one morning and shoot my G19 with iron sights and then have to deploy a few hours later with the G17 with RDS.

If one exists, what is an effective training protocol that will allow effective operational deployment and training with both setups without training time to transition between the two? I've heard on some of the mod casts that shooting an RDS makes shooting irons easier, but not sure about the practical application in constantly switching between the two.

Or should I consider ditching the G17 altogether, putting the RDS on my G19, and carry only the G19 for EDC and duty use?

The responses to the thread focused on 2 main points:
1-The RDS/RMR on a G19 negates the sight-radius benefit of the G17
2-One negative of the RDS/RMR is foul weather and/or caked-on mud/dirt rendering the RMR useless. Several people suggested Rain-X may help with the wet weather.

Any other thoughts?

Jake170K9

I'm wondering the same thing. Wanting to put an RDS on an off duty gun for EDC , but I know there is very little to no chance my Department will allow one on a duty gun. Not sure if there will be an issue with switching between the two systems.

Fatboy

Established
I've been using a red dot off duty for a few years now mixed with a regular pistol on duty, and I haven't noticed any conflict with sighting systems. If anything, I think my iron sight accuracy has improved some.