RDS placement

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Since there was some solid discussion on the matter:

Where do you place your RDS sight on your Carbine? What model of RDS and why.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
I took the advice of a few mods and put my T1 directly in front of the rear sight on this SBR upper (middle), and felt it was faster acquisition wise.

Former placement was at front of the upper receiver (top and bottom).

After doing dry practice in my house the last two hours, the Freedom Mask cheek weld prefers the rear mounted optic so far. I plan to shoot it a few times at the range tomorrow but do expect a move to the rear gun wide.

8e372438617b9b9f0a241fe904a5a7fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a CompML3 on my work guns, because they were both issued optics. I run them as far back as possible, but still allowing the rear sight to flip up. I'm planning on toying with the configuration of mounting the rear BUIS in front of the optic (heresy!!!) to get the optic closer to my eye without having to compress the buttstock.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
So to update on where my RDS are now placed:
All of them are directly in front of the RDS.

DBAL was faster when light was dim enough outside for the Green laser on high to be visible. I still am having issues getting them on the work rifle, so I have no choice but to use the T1 for gas mask wearing engagements.

Putting the RDS to the rear, I found to be more repeatable and reliable to get the optic on target, than when I had it at the front of the upper receiver.

ASH556

Erik Lund wrote an article on this several years ago: http://www.usshootingacademy.com/CM_Files/FIGHTING THROUGH THE RING by Erik Lund.pdf

I subscribed to the theory then and ran my T-1's all the way back against my rear sight for a long time:
IMG_6600.jpg

CBBDDB45-F8ED-4E43-AABE-74BF202FAA66.jpg

Recently I pushed the T-1 on my SBR back toward the front of the receiver and found that I prefer it there. I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the size of the optic itself. The T-1 is small enough that you can see around it more easily than, say, an M2, M4, or Eotech. Regardless, I find myself paying far less attention to the optic itself with it pushed forward and therefore feel greater situational/target awareness and corresponding speed on transitions.
780E4A43-692F-450F-BFB5-602F83CE411A.jpg