RDS on a G35 is a waste

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
The benefit from a G35 (or any of the longer slide models) is the increased sight radius. Placing an RDS on it removes the benefit of the longer sight radius.

Source: Not me, but he is here.

I think the importance of sight radius in pistols is overrated. The quality of sights is a more critical factor. A slightly thinner sight on a 17 gets you the same visual effect as the pushing a normal width sight out another inch. Aligned sights are aligned sights.

hogarth

When I took Steve Fisher's class last year and shot better with my G26 on day two compared with my 19 on day one, he mentioned that this is not uncommon and he knows someone (?) who carries one daily with an RMR and is lights-out with it.

In short, I would tend to agree with the OP that the full value of the RMR might be on the smaller guns. I wouldn't discount it completely for the bigger ones like a 34/35, but I would say that maybe it's not quite as valuable as on a smaller gun. A diminishing returns kind of thing.

Presscheck Consulting

Gunslinger
Staff member
WARLORD
I don't have any long slide pistols with RDS. Sight radius and all that jive. The long slides don't get much use though.... I pretty much only break them out when some fucking dinosaur mandates that we shoot irons only. "No open class", yeah dick head because fucking muslims ask me if my gun is limited or open when it's fired at them. Mother fucker won't allow Red dots because he doesn't want average shooters beating him. So I break out the long slide, crush his fucking soul, take the prize, and leave......"high shooter don't police no brass, dueces"

jr1572

Amateur
The whole RDS on a pistol movement means nothing to me, and I'll explain why.

I'm of the belief that I either have to have them on all of my pistols, or none of my pistols. Since my employer says no RDS on our duty or off duty guns, they have made the decision for me. I'm ok with that. I'm sure it would be expensive putting them on all of my handguns and it would make my Glock 42 and 442 j frame look kinda funny.

JR1572

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
I can certainly understand that position. Out of curiosity, do you have an RDS on any of your rifles? Do you have one on all of your rifles? I'd argue that different tools get different optics, and while a G42 and a G17 look similar, they are as different as a Mk18 and a Mk12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jr1572

Amateur
I can certainly understand that position. Out of curiosity, do you have an RDS on any of your rifles? Do you have one on all of your rifles? I'd argue that different tools get different optics, and while a G42 and a G17 look similar, they are as different as a Mk18 and a Mk12.

My issued rifle has an Eotech and my personal rifle has a T1. Both have flashlights mounted in the same positions.

I try to keep everything almost exactly the same.

JR1572

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
My point is that if you had a DMR rifle and an SBR, they'd be unlikely to have the same optic. It's ok to have a primary duty gun (G17, for example) with different sights than your "GETTHEFUCKOFFME" gun (G42).

For multiple guns serving the same purpose (like your issued rifle and personal rifle), your position makes total sense. I'm just saying don't think everything that goes BANG must look/work/act the same.

The benefit from a G35 (or any of the longer slide models) is the increased sight radius. Placing an RDS on it removes the benefit of the longer sight radius.

Source: Not me, but he is here.
I would think this person may not have ever shot a pistol with a RDS!

I have seen average iron sight shooters in USPSA who move to open and make the jump to Master in no time at all. A few minutes on YouTube watching steel challenge matches or USPSA matches with prove this all day long.

He has done more than shoot paper and steel with an RDS on a pistol I suspect.

I could be wrong here but I don't think it matters what the target is. What maters is how fast can you get on target and get the most accurate shot off as fast as you can for the win. This could be in combat or any of the shooting games out there.

I have no polls or real data to display only my years of shooting and visiting with other shooters and I can say I have ran across very few that say they get better and faster sight pictures with iron sights.

At the same time I just cannot see how the longer sight radius can compare to that of a RDS. But that's just my opinion and we know how those are!

jr1572

Amateur
My point is that if you had a DMR rifle and an SBR, they'd be unlikely to have the same optic. It's ok to have a primary duty gun (G17, for example) with different sights than your "GETTHEFUCKOFFME" gun (G42).

For multiple guns serving the same purpose (like your issued rifle and personal rifle), your position makes total sense. I'm just saying don't think everything that goes BANG must look/work/act the same.

I see your point.

Thanks.

JR1572

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
I've been very tempted to break out my Gen 4 G34... finally unfuck my Warren sights and drift the rear, and run that for production. The slower slide cycling helps for some to track the FSP better as well. It would be hard for me to justify my CZ Shadow then....

Presscheck Consulting

Gunslinger
Staff member
WARLORD
Shooters101.
You are not gaining significant mechanical accuracy with your increased barrel length. I've shot a 100 7X with my G17 so how much more accurate does a pistol need to be? so is it decreased recoil then? My comp'd 19 shoots softer than my 34.

The only thing that my long slides do better is run irons. As soon as RDS are incorporated into the mix the smaller pistols start making more sense. I love my 34/35 and my last pistol kill was with one, but the Era of the RDS has rendered them obsolete.

Presscheck Consulting

Gunslinger
Staff member
WARLORD
And Shooter, you focused on the wrong part of what he was saying. Nobody says RDS are dumb, we are saying with your whole fleet of pistols, don't waste money putting RDS on your old "go to" long slide because it was your best shooter with irons. Leave your long slide as an irons gun and slap that RDS on something smaller that you will still be able to run the shit out of.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
I use a G34 with RDS and shoot it better, accurate and speed, than a G19. Perhaps it's the small bit of weight forward, maybe as Matt said its a slightly slower slide cycle, maybe it's all just mental. But I do know that I am better with the G34. I daily carry that big bastard but I'm not doing any UC shit either.

Presscheck Consulting

Gunslinger
Staff member
WARLORD
be83b24f7a10bc1f829e3db518e027af.jpg

743204e8787393831402be7786471208.jpg

my 19. Same length as your 34, shoots softer and flatter, more concealable grip..... it's like a day walking vampire!

Matt

Staff member
That heater is dead sexy, Roland. Got any video of it? I have the lotion and tissue out already...

And Shooter, you focused on the wrong part of what he was saying. Nobody says RDS are dumb, we are saying with your whole fleet of pistols, don't waste money putting RDS on your old "go to" long slide because it was your best shooter with irons. Leave your long slide as an irons gun and slap that RDS on something smaller that you will still be able to run the shit out of.
Roland,

You are right I did miss understand that then as I am in agreement with you with the modern comps and technology today you can can do great things with small guns!

The next few years are going to be very interesting in the evolution of the micro RDS and the guns that we are going to be able to mount then on. Their use in both the practical and tactical fields will explode.