RDS on a G35 is a waste

TANGO451

No RDS on duty pistol or patrol rifle. I like to keep it simple but I'm old. I can see where they would have an advantage in some areas but irons has always worked for me. I can see its advantage On a patrol rifle more than on a handgun though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomF

I prefer RMR's on short slides. I feel that the snappier recoil of the little guns puts the slide and dot back into view quicker. G19 with RMR is my jam.

So here is a question in the opposite direction then. It seems like there are a lot of people saying the shorter the better when it comes to an RDS on a pistol. If that's the case then shouldn't a G26 w/ RMR be ideal? I own a G26 and 27 without optics. All my optics are on my 19s. With this discussion I was just curious about the other side of the coin. I have no experience with at RMR on a baby Glock and in all honestly I rarely see them out there. I've tossed around the idea of throwing an RMR on one of my baby Glocks but I don't see it being worth the juice in the long run, maybe I'm wrong.

hogarth

So here is a question in the opposite direction then. It seems like there are a lot of people saying the shorter the better when it comes to an RDS on a pistol. If that's the case then shouldn't a G26 w/ RMR be ideal? I own a G26 and 27 without optics. All my optics are on my 19s. With this discussion I was just curious about the other side of the coin. I have no experience with at RMR on a baby Glock and in all honestly I rarely see them out there. I've tossed around the idea of throwing an RMR on one of my baby Glocks but I don't see it being worth the juice in the long run, maybe I'm wrong.

I think the RMR may have more upside on a smaller gun (i think there is upside across the board....just proportionally more on the subcompact). However, most people also look for more bang for the buck, no? Thinking of it that way, how many 26s and 27s do you see even in concealed carry classes? I took Pannone's Covert Carry class and recall only one subcompact. 19s and 17s dominated, even though I bet a lot of those people carry a smaller gun every day.

My point is that if a 19 is the gun you tend to train with (and they offer a nice compromise of full grip on the draw with accuracy, sight radius, etc), and you only have the $ for ONE RMR, then you'll probably put it on the 19 so then you'll get the most use out of it.

It may also be that some people still think of the RMR as more of a competition rather than a combat thing, so never considered putting it on a subcompact.

Finally, the 19 is wildly more popular than the 26 (a lot of people don't like the dangling pinky), so it just makes sense mathematics-wise that you would see more RMRs on 19s.
Indeed, many people say that they can conceal a 19 as easily as a 26 (not me), so they may as well have more rounds and a longer barrel.

I hope some of that makes sense.

I agree with you totally Hogarth, since my 19s are the ones with RMRs. Mostly I asked the question to be Devils Advocate and to see if many people will run an RMR on a Baby Glock and what their experiences are with it. Your right, majority of the time I will carry or train with my 19 but there are some times where the 26 conceals just a little bit better depending on the situation and my mode of dress. I love the RMR on my 19 and for me its kind of a downer as I will train with my off duty carry gun which is the RMR 19 but I carry an issued G22 with HD sights on duty. I'm getting better with the RMR then I am with the irons it seems but I still got to reserve some time for iron sight training as there is no way my department would ever approve an RMR on a duty gun in the near future. With that being said, I do love my RMR and I think that if it makes the 19 a killing machine then I would love to put one on my other off duty carry gun, the 26.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
No RDS on duty pistol or patrol rifle. I like to keep it simple but I'm old. I can see where they would have an advantage in some areas but irons has always worked for me. I can see its advantage On a patrol rifle more than on a handgun though.

And you don't have issues in low light with your carbine?

Presscheck Consulting

Gunslinger
Staff member
WARLORD
Reference "losing the dot during recoil". If you are a hard shooter, you just gotta continue that trigger squeeze all the way through the recoil. The dot will come back into view as the gun settles. It's science. It is really no different than tracking your front sight.

People are slower because they lose the dot and pause or release their trigger squeeze until the gun tracks back on the target. The gun is traveling the same arc with the RDS on it as it does with irons. The difference between the two is that the RDS gives the shooter a better visual depiction of what the gun is actually doing.

Last edited:

B_gerk

The benefit from a G35 (or any of the longer slide models) is the increased sight radius. Placing an RDS on it removes the benefit of the longer sight radius.

Source: Not me, but he is here.
No it dosent like thats on a rifle why would it on a handgun?

Ski85

I think he's trying to make the argument that it's common to place an RDS on a rifle, which has a long sight radius, so why not a G35.

That's my best guess anyways....

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
What are the advantages of a G19 versus a G34 in regard to barrel/slide length?

Negligible differences?

What a G34 has is a better sight radius, not so much improved ballistics.