RCS Eidolon

Seth Thompson

I've been using an Eidolon with the clips, wedge and claw to carry a G-17 MOS for a bit over two years, now. It's worked really, really well for me, but....

...I wanted something that was light-capable. I decided to give PHLSTER a try, but the Spotlight model was back-ordered. What the heck, I ordered a Floodlight, instead. I guess I do have a light-mount 1911 I could try in that, too. I just got the Floodlight a couple of days ago, but haven't been in public off-duty for a number of days. Hopefully, I can give it a try in a day or two. I like the concept and the construction of the Floodlight, and I'm interested in how it performs, versus the Eidolon.

Stay tuned.

I just bought a Eidolon and it arrived today. The retention was non-existent. It would fall out when I had it upside down. I incrementally adjusted the tension screw but it had no effect on retention. The third time I tightened it the screw snapped off completely. I'm hoping it was just a bad screw or something and I'm currently awaiting a reply from customer support.

Your retention is mostly your belt cinched.

Hmm well when it gets fixed and if it still feels loose to me, I'll make sure to throw it on to check retention. I will say this is easily the loosest holster retention I've had on a holster if it wasn't a defect. I cannot speak for the retention inside the belt line because the screw broke before I could get it set up.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
My HolsterCos, Bawidamanns, Phlsters, and Henrys all fall out if held upside down - holding upside down isnt a metric for testing iwb retention.

Your retention is mostly your belt cinched.

Despite the retention screw being broke, i actually got the holster out and have been messing with it. Inside the waistband is is pretty tight, even with no tensioner. I'll wait and hopefully get a screw and nut mailed before i actually wear it, but my worry is gone.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
I just bought a Eidolon and it arrived today. The retention was non-existent. It would fall out when I had it upside down. I incrementally adjusted the tension screw but it had no effect on retention. The third time I tightened it the screw snapped off completely. I'm hoping it was just a bad screw or something and I'm currently awaiting a reply from customer support.
So this was my first experience as well. Took it back and the shop’s Glock snapped in with a click. Get back home and start running various Glocks through it. There is a wide variance in Glock frame demensions over the years. It has to do with how long the molds used for your particular gun were used before being replaced I think. I’ve got 5 G19 frames and only one snaps in. Each has a different layer of retention. Some zero no matter how tight. Only one 17 snaps in. Your assessment of the options and original choice of the Spotlight was correct. It’s 95% of the Eidolons comfort but with a light. Be sure you get the 34 length. It rides better. Matt convinced me to try it and he was right. Other than the 5% comfort difference the only other thing you will notice is the shift. The Eidolon with hooks doesn’t rock or pivot at all. The Spotlight will shift more but it’s not an issue.

I was initially looking at the spotlight first, but I have a TLR-1HL and it has been out of stock for that a while now, and unless I'm mistaken the guy who makes them mentioned he isn't currently making for that light anymore.

Wake27

I've been using an Eidolon with the clips, wedge and claw to carry a G-17 MOS for a bit over two years, now. It's worked really, really well for me, but....

...I wanted something that was light-capable. I decided to give PHLSTER a try, but the Spotlight model was back-ordered. What the heck, I ordered a Floodlight, instead. I guess I do have a light-mount 1911 I could try in that, too. I just got the Floodlight a couple of days ago, but haven't been in public off-duty for a number of days. Hopefully, I can give it a try in a day or two. I like the concept and the construction of the Floodlight, and I'm interested in how it performs, versus the Eidolon.

Stay tuned.

Same deal, love the Eidolon but it’s 2019. I have a red dot on my gun but no light? Kind of ridiculous. I got my Floodlight in on Friday and used it all weekend. Originally, I was concerned about the “one size fits all approach” as that usually isn’t very successful IME, but I like this a lot. Carries my RS very comfortably and worked well with my RO Elite Op without any adjustment. Forgot to try the M&P though. I set it up for a solo clip, I like that they include both mounting options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth Thompson

Same deal, love the Eidolon but it’s 2019. I have a red dot on my gun but no light? Kind of ridiculous. I got my Floodlight in on Friday and used it all weekend. Originally, I was concerned about the “one size fits all approach” as that usually isn’t very successful IME, but I like this a lot. Carries my RS very comfortably and worked well with my RO Elite Op without any adjustment. Forgot to try the M&P though. I set it up for a solo clip, I like that they include both mounting options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My initial results with the Floodlight have been very positive. My initial thought when it came out of the box was that it was "EUUUGE". Loading it up with my G-17 MOS/RDS/X300U (my actual duty gun), only confirmed that impression of large size. How would this thing fit in my pants?

Turns out, surprisingly well. It does take up more inside-the-waistband space than the Eidolon. Go figure, I'm loading more gear in there, too. Construction and retention are excellent. The Floodlight also seems to have less sharp spots and pressure points than the Eidolon. I may add a pad, like my Eidolon has, to help with positioning and butt printing.

All in all, it seems to be performing as advertised. I'll have to try a couple of other full-size service pistols in it.

So I learned over on discord that Henry’s Holsters is closely tied with Phlster. The Spotlight appears to be still available there if you are still interested. I highly highly recommend it for the Glock platform.
https://www.henryholsters.com/product/aiwb-iwb-light-bearing-holster/

Too late for me, Already went with the RC Eidolon. I put the TLR on my wife's Cx4, giving me an excuse to try and get a deal on an x300 down the road, seems easier to find a holster for that light than the TLR.

I will say customer service with RC is outstanding, very fast turnaround.

Got my replacement shell yesterday, and it had much better retention. Even though I've been told it's not a fair measurement of retention for IWB my glock did not fall free when shaken lightly upside down like the last one. I do think there was an issue with the first one, but now I'm enjoying the best holster I've ever used to date.

I wear strongside and on my old holster the 17's grip would stick out a little bit and I could feel it hanging up on stuff id brush against and chairs when I sit. Now on occasion I forget it's there. Amazing holster.

SamR

I purchased an Eidolon and have been trying to get it adjusted for the last week or so. This is my first AIWB holster so it’s all new. I am able to use it semi comfortably while standing, but no matter how I set it, it is dang near un-bearable while sitting/driving. Is there something I’m missing? I do have and Ageis belt on the way to hopefully help, but, with how uncomfortable it is currently, I’m not sure it will... I’m 5’9 180lbs. Any help would be appreciated.

krax

I purchased an Eidolon and have been trying to get it adjusted for the last week or so. This is my first AIWB holster so it’s all new. I am able to use it semi comfortably while standing, but no matter how I set it, it is dang near un-bearable while sitting/driving. Is there something I’m missing? I do have and Ageis belt on the way to hopefully help, but, with how uncomfortable it is currently, I’m not sure it will... I’m 5’9 180lbs. Any help would be appreciated.
AIWB is all about subtle adjustments to maximize comfort and concealment. Even then the whole comforting vs comfortable thing applies after a while.

The right belt helps, and there's a trend towards more flexible belts for AIWB at the moment. If you have a very stiff gun belt, the only negative effects you'll see are concealment, not comfort.

I'd recommend stripping the Eidolon down to nothing but a single soft loop or overhook at the highest ride height hole and spend some time adjusting the position of the holster along your belt between 12 and 2 o'clock. You should be able to find a spot that sits just right, or is at least tolerable while seated. Once you've got that sorted, slowly add accessories to the holster to enhance concealment. You may not need both a wing and a pad. You may or may not need two loops or overhooks.

It's also possible that the Eidolon just isn't going to work for you. You may have to try a few out, and I'd recommend leaning towards simpler, more minimal holsters first.

SamR

AIWB is all about subtle adjustments to maximize comfort and concealment. Even then the whole comforting vs comfortable thing applies after a while.

The right belt helps, and there's a trend towards more flexible belts for AIWB at the moment. If you have a very stiff gun belt, the only negative effects you'll see are concealment, not comfort.

I'd recommend stripping the Eidolon down to nothing but a single soft loop or overhook at the highest ride height hole and spend some time adjusting the position of the holster along your belt between 12 and 2 o'clock. You should be able to find a spot that sits just right, or is at least tolerable while seated. Once you've got that sorted, slowly add accessories to the holster to enhance concealment. You may not need both a wing and a pad. You may or may not need two loops or overhooks.

It's also possible that the Eidolon just isn't going to work for you. You may have to try a few out, and I'd recommend leaning towards simpler, more minimal holsters first.

Thank you for the info! I have been actively trying different configurations, carrying them for a day, and then re-working. I have found that deeper is more comfortable both standing and sitting, but either way sitting has been brutal. I have been running the claw, but have not fully decided if I like the pad. Ive been considering making a similar neoprene pad to what JM Kydex offers. Will keep after it. If anyone has helpful feedback on different options to try I would appreciate it.

Seth Thompson

Not knowing what I didn't know, I bought the Eidolon "Basic Kit". It didn't carry well for me, so I did some research and ordered a claw and wedge pad from holsterbuilder.com. Those items and some positioning experimentation made the Eidolon carry well for me. To echo the previous posters, positioning, in depth, cant, and "clock position" in your waistband, are all specific to the individual, and take some trial-and-error to discover.