RCS Eidolon

The Eidolon is the only AIWB holster solution that has allowed me to carry a full-size gun appendix - which I prefer for a number of reasons that probably don't need explaining to P&S members. I am 5'8" 168# athletic build and am able to carry a G17 (chopped to G19 grip dimensions) and a spare 21 round Pmag under almost any shirt I own. Every other option I tried was totally incompatible with my build. Incidentally, the best IWB mag carrier I've found is a Ready Tactical OWB carrier that I flip around and use IWB. I'm a right handed shooter, so purchasing a left-handed carrier works perfectly once it's flipped. Hopefully that description makes some sense. It rides immediately left (my left) of the Eidolon and it's like the two were made to be used together.

I've been searching for a holster that can conceal a Glock 19 w/RMR AIWB. That was impossible for me with my Incog and KMJF holsters, as the grip always printed, and the back of the slide tended to lean forward. I let holster technology get way ahead of me, and didn't know what I was missing.

(Glock 19 in KMFJ, Glock 43 in INCOG)
ekHAMWj.jpg

I doing some cursory research, I found that a good AIWB holster incorporated the following:

Adjustable clip height
A "claw" of some sort
Some kind of "wedge"

Clearly, based off my two holsters, the wedge and claw theories seemed way out there. But then I started thinking about...

The wedge pushes the slide into your body, preventing it from hanging out past your waistband. The claw pulls the grip into your body, preventing it from printing. It started to make sense to me. So I began researching, like I do before I make any purchase, and found exactly what I was looking for in a few different models:

Dark Star Orion
https://darkstargear.com/product/g19orion/

RCS Eidolon
http://rcsgear.com/eidolon-appendix-or-strongside-iwb/

V Devgru Seraph (RMR Cut)
https://vdevgru.com/products/seraph-...wb-iwb-holster

Tenicor Velo
https://tenicor.com/products/velo-aiwb-holster

JM Custom Kydex
https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWBWC2G17.html

Now, save for some minor differences here and there, these all do the same thing: adjustable ride height, wedge, and claw. All came highly recommended, all reviewed favorably, and all priced out within $20 of each other.

But, something drew me into what I found to be the ugliest model: The RCS Eidolon. It was the most customizable of the bunch, had a few years of end-user feedback going, and had the only wedge that looked like it belonged on a holster and not under the sink, ready to scrub dishes.

KjjxeaV.jpg

So, I ordered it from Raven Concealment. It arrived two days later with two wedges, two claws, two mounting plates, two clips, and an ungodly amount of hardware. The instruction booklet offered many different types of mounting combinations. I instead chose to go to the internet and see how people were carrying. I finally settled on the most vanilla combination: everything.

TfAnKK9.jpg

GTeoYD7.jpg

The retention was easy to adjust, via one screw near the trigger guard. With everything bolted on and the retention set, I placed the holster in my pants.

I was blown away, not literally-thank God. It was surprisingly comfortable, but most of all, it hid a Glock 19 with RMR under a T Shirt. I thought the day would never come, and I had given up on carrying a 19 because of it.

1OAcfLi.jpg

Q83ir9X.jpg

I spent the remainder of the night sitting on the couch and wearing the holster. I literally forgot it was there. The next day, I wore it in shorts and a T Shirt to a Thomas The Train Convention with my 2 year old. It was the kind of setting that is very important to remain concealed. I spent the day rustling, wrestling, and carrying an exhausted little person. No one but me had any idea that I had a pistol on. It got to the point that I even stopped checking to see if I was printing, because I knew I wasn't. When I got home, I had some sweat on the pistol as I chose the "no sweat guard" option, but that was the only damage done from a day spent on 90* heat.

I've been wearing it since, and I couldn't be happier. I do find that the clips are flimsy, so much so that I worry I might break them. I'll remedy that here soon when my Discrete Carry #4 clips arrive in the mail (https://www.discreetcarryconcepts.com/Mod-4-HLR-Discreet-Gear-Clip™-1-5-belt-SHS-p109288259). Until then, the stock clips will work just fine.

Overall, I'm overjoyed by my newfound freedom to conceal a bigger pistol. I've only had the holster for a few days, so time will tell on quality, but my initial assessment is that it is well made/engineered/designed. RCS, back in the Tom days, had legendary customer service, so I can only assume that legacy has continued should a need ever arise. I'd highly recommend one to anybody looking for an AIWB option.

3VvJGUW.jpg

Please, after reading my review, feel free to post your own experiences with the Eidolon (including how you set it up), so we can make a centralized thread on it.

Ryan St.Jean

I had an Eidelon and ended up giving it away. Its a fine holster with lots of adjustability but (and this isn't a cricism of the holster) I have found I prefer a single point of attachment for appendix carry.

Kain

I had an Eidelon and ended up giving it away. Its a fine holster with lots of adjustability but (and this isn't a cricism of the holster) I have found I prefer a single point of attachment for appendix carry.
Are you unable to remove one clip on the Eidelon and still run it? I'm looking at a new AIWB and also found I prefer a single attachment point.

Ryan St.Jean

Are you unable to remove one clip on the Eidelon and still run it? I'm looking at a new AIWB and also found I prefer a single attachment point.
For me it needed both clips to stay in place because they are pretty far towards the sides not central. Also how they are fairly flexible could be part of it. One clip wasn't going to work. YMMV.

Kain

For me it needed both clips to stay in place because they are pretty far towards the sides not central. Also how they are fairly flexible could be part of it. One clip wasn't going to work. YMMV.

Will have to look into that. Thought the holster came with option for soft loops, which I kind of prefer on my current rig, lord knows they stay. I'm going to have to do some more digging then. See what I want. Phlster may still end up with my damn money. We shall see.

Ryan St.Jean

Will have to look into that. Thought the holster came with option for soft loops, which I kind of prefer on my current rig, lord knows they stay. I'm going to have to do some more digging then. See what I want. Phlster may still end up with my damn money. We shall see.

If I still had it I would take pictures for you but I gave it to a relative to replace the sausage sack holster his Glock was living in.

Soft loops would still be in the same spots. A single point attachment typically needs to be closer to the middle of the holster and also more rigid.

I am looking to upgrade my G17 holster. Philster and DSG are the short list.

Kain

If I still had it I would take pictures for you but I gave it to a relative to replace the sausage sack holster his Glock was living in.

Soft loops would still be in the same spots. A single point attachment typically needs to be closer to the middle of the holster and also more rigid.

I am looking to upgrade my G17 holster. Philster and DSG are the short list.

I'm running a Bladetech nano that I've ghettoed the hell out of, but it comfy and secure, with a single soft loop it seems fine. Stays put, though I did crank the fuck down on that screw. But, then again, may be more inline than the RCS too. And I kind of prefering soft loops at this time.

I mentioned on discord the other week, I'am at the point of saying screw it and just budgetting for 3 holsters for my 19 over the next as many months and seeing what works for me, instead of trying to figure it out online. Mostly because so far online not always worked for me the best. So with that said, I thinking an order to Phlster will come about this week, but damnit it means I need to buy another X300U if I go with the spotlight. Damn P&S!!!

JLL2013

I tried the Incog (worst), Eidolon (good, but not perfect), and settled on the spotlight (best).
The Incog never really rode securely and just didn't conceal well.
The Eidolon doesn't have the claw high enough to really grab the belt for me.

I'm running a Bladetech nano that I've ghettoed the hell out of, but it comfy and secure, with a single soft loop it seems fine. Stays put, though I did crank the fuck down on that screw. But, then again, may be more inline than the RCS too. And I kind of prefering soft loops at this time.

I mentioned on discord the other week, I'am at the point of saying screw it and just budgetting for 3 holsters for my 19 over the next as many months and seeing what works for me, instead of trying to figure it out online. Mostly because so far online not always worked for me the best. So with that said, I thinking an order to Phlster will come about this week, but damnit it means I need to buy another X300U if I go with the spotlight. Damn P&S!!!

Kain

Kind of a quick a dirty update. I ended up buying an Eidolon and have been running it for about a month and a half. So not long, but longer than some.

First off, going from my ghetto rigged Bladetech nano is was a literal 358& improvement. Now for me, the holster does ride low, or high enough, depend on how you want to look at it, that the claw does work for me. 6 foot tall, a bit over 200 pounds. I did find that the belt belts it ships with worked great. For me. Like I love these things. I can actually put it on and take it off without looking like I am doing a striptease. In otherwords I don't have to undo my belt. For reference I am, and have been for better than 2 years now, a Magpul Tejas, if your belt is shorter height wise I can see definite issues arising on holster retention, even if I may have strapped it on in sweat pants on one rush trip to go grab someone.

The Eidolon does conceal very well though. I mean I can conceal with this in shirts that SCREAMED GUN!!!!! with my old bladetech, in both AIWB as well as strong side. To say I am impressed is an understatement. What is also of note, is the holster does also let me bend over to tie my shoes, and I don't look like I have a fussed disks in my back when I go to bend over most of the time.

Now, I did get the 19 length holster since I carry a 19. My next holster is likely going to be longer mostly because I do think it will kick the holster out more for comfort. Which while the Eidolon is more comfy than the Bladetech 93% of the time. I am thinking there are better options out there and I may be looking hard at a Tenicor and either a spotlight, or a floodlight, mostly because I am thinking maybe trying to CC either a CZ P07, or chasing Italian tail with a Beretta. Suppose it gonna depend if I decide RDS is in my near future or not.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
For a lightless Glock there is still no better than the Eidolon. If you put a light on it though, and it’s glock, it’s Spotlight all the way. It changed my carry totally. I carry the 34 with light or Roland Special daily with the just fractions less comfort than the Eidolon. I’ve not tried the Floodlight mainly because I don’t need to carry other manufacturers pistols anymore. Don’t hesitate to try one.

Ryan St.Jean

At the risk of being a dissenting voice I didn’t like the Eidelon. It is well made and very adjustable. However I favor a single point of attachment for AIWB.

David Mayeur

I will have to get some photos together of my Glock 17 Eidolon. I ordered mine when the first batch was released online back in late 2014ish, if I recall. I prefer the older polymer more than the new polymer, but RCS has stated that the older holsters were prone to cracking. I believe the newer material is the same used in the Perun line.

Payback

Eidolon in single point mode was just what I was looking for in the realm of low-vis AIWB. It wasn't my first AIWB holster, but I think it is the best one I have utilized thus far. I can wear it without feeling uncomfortable driving from Kentucky to Detroit, so I think that's a fair metric of success.

IMG_8171.jpg

Kain

On single point note I have been running single clip like Payback. Partly comfort, partly due to tge second clip ending up being in a place that it interfers with a firing grip on draw.