Range side berm construction ideas

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Tire walls can be tricky. The state had a shoot house made of tires that had to be closed to live fire. It got to a point where bullets were bouncing right back out. Im not sure if it was UV changing the property of the rubber or the things were just full of bullets (which is what I suspect) but they would very often come right back out at high velocity. YMMV. I like the Hesco option. They were much more reasonable than I thought they might be.

H-Minus

Tire walls can be tricky. The state had a shoot house made of tires that had to be closed to live fire. It got to a point where bullets were bouncing right back out. Im not sure if it was UV changing the property of the rubber or the things were just full of bullets (which is what I suspect) but they would very often come right back out at high velocity. YMMV. I like the Hesco option. They were much more reasonable than I thought they might be.
Great points. Depending upon the ammunition being used, shooting rifle rounds at a target in a shoothouse can definitely go further than you would think with old walls.

Anyone considering putting in a backstop for a range to be used for a business should include replacement of the walls after a few years in their business plan. This is even more true if it is for a shoot house.

The dynamic nature of training for clearing rooms means that target will not be in the same place every time, which can spread out the damage so to speak.
However, there is only so much you can do in some cases to move targets based off hot walls. That means certain sections are definitely going to wear out sooner.

Hesco basket walls are good for when you need to put a berm wall up quickly. You still have to be aware of the possibility of ricochet with them. But that is more manageable than rounds burning through them.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
The dense foam block over steel plate mobile bullet traps are the way to go in a shoot house if your shoothouse is not like a .mil one where the walls themselves have the replaceable dense foam blocks. Mobile traps cut damage way down.