Range side berm construction ideas | Primary & Secondary

Range side berm construction ideas

Discussion in 'Competition General' started by shooters101, Mar 8, 2017.

1. shooters101

shooters101 OPFOR Network Supporter

Posted this on P&S Off Topic FB Group. I want to post it here as a better place to store the info.

Our range is wanting to expand. Unfortunately most of the people have no vision or the ability to think outside the box. Since we have such a huge crowd here what I am looking for is ideals for side berms and such besides dirt.
    Ideally pics of your local ranges that you go to would be nice. off the top of my head I'm thinking Hesco barriers (if we can get them), large concrete eco blocks 2x2x6 or I think they make some 3x3x6 ones etc.

2. 275RLTW

275RLTW Regular Member

Hescos are dirt and leave a gap in between unless you go multiple layer thick. Bricks degrade over time and do not guarantee ballistic protection.

Not the answer you wanted to hear but dirt is preferred medium.

shooters101 likes this.
  3. Fatboy

Fatboy Established

Rail road tie retaining walls, then back filled with dirt?

4. shooters101

This works great at a managed range. Unfortunately we have people that think that RR ties are good to staple targets onto and shoot.

5. Fatboy

Fatboy Established

Yeah, that's no bueno. Back to the drawing board.

6. shooters101

These right here are pretty cool. I sent them an email asking for specs and pricing. But I think shipping will be a deal breaker. I'll have to investigate if any of the local guys make anything like this.

[​IMG]

http://www.hansonsilo.com/precast-shooting-walls.php

7. 275RLTW

275RLTW Regular Member

Double up on ear pro if you use those. They will reflect every gunshot and shooting that lane will be very loud.

IEDmagnet and shooters101 like this.
  8. Fatboy

Fatboy Established

Those look very similar to what we used to call Texas or Alaska barriers (the larger cousin of jersey barriers).

Hope that helps find something similar if that is the direction you go.

shooters101 likes this.
  9. PatMcG

PatMcG Amateur

I don't know if they use special materials in those cement walls but the look just like bunker silo walls that livestock farmers have been using forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. MOLON_LABE

MOLON_LABE Member

This was the cheap 95% solution my old range used. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

shooters101 likes this.
  11. TacMed

TacMed Newbie

We have used wood chips. We have dozens of acres of trees, and we chip our own when we're clearing. They degrade and shrink over time, but we have a lot of trees that come down.

shooters101 and MOLON_LABE like this.