Radio Connector Question..

Camb453

I was not sure if this is the right spot for this but I will ask anyway. I have a Baofeng uv-5r radio set that I use for various applications. I want to run a PTT in my kit and I have a 6-Pin Connector for a Peltor PTT attachment. Does anyone know of a correct pin out configuration that I could pick up in order to connect the radio I have to a 6 Pin to put the PTT to use? Thanks my doods.

shoobe01

Established
If you insist on Baofeng they use Kenwood-compatible plugs. You have to buy the whole PTT/cable/plug thing for Kenwood, for the Peltors.

There are U229 to Kenwood adapters but now you have even more adapters which can fail, leak, etc. and they all seem to be the same no-name ones, so I wouldn't do that.

Camb453

If you insist on Baofeng they use Kenwood-compatible plugs. You have to buy the whole PTT/cable/plug thing for Kenwood, for the Peltors.

There are U229 to Kenwood adapters but now you have even more adapters which can fail, leak, etc. and they all seem to be the same no-name ones, so I wouldn't do that.
I will look into it. I just figure since I have it I should try to make it work.

Whiskey

Amateur
The other issue here is that from what I've gathered (and bought) you need a amplified PTT to make a BF work with Peltors. Myself and a buddy have both bought from Disco32, and have both had to send what we bought back once a piece, but when we got our respective PTT's back they function fine.

Camb453

The other issue here is that from what I've gathered (and bought) you need a amplified PTT to make a BF work with Peltors. Myself and a buddy have both bought from Disco32, and have both had to send what we bought back once a piece, but when we got our respective PTT's back they function fine.
and that has been my worry. It would seem too simple, yet should be the working case, that I should be able to get a 6-pin to 2-pin bf adapter and then a large aux to small aux adapter on the other side to run to my Impact Sport ear pro. But I have the thought that there is no way that they all made them that easily compatible if compatible at all

Whiskey

Amateur
You are definitely trying to add more complexity to the system if you're trying to get a pair of Howard Leights to hook to a peltor PTT to hook to a baofeng. Please let me know if I misread.

In your specific situation, I would get a parrot mic (trucker mic, whatever you call it, the cop style lapel mic) that has a jack for an audio cord. Hook that into your HL earpro. Now you have a setup that works, and didnt add unneeded links and adapters. Its not the coolest LARP look in the world but its much more in line with the radio you are using.

Camb453

You are definitely trying to add more complexity to the system if you're trying to get a pair of Howard Leights to hook to a peltor PTT to hook to a baofeng. Please let me know if I misread.

In your specific situation, I would get a parrot mic (trucker mic, whatever you call it, the cop style lapel mic) that has a jack for an audio cord. Hook that into your HL earpro. Now you have a setup that works, and didnt add unneeded links and adapters. Its not the coolest LARP look in the world but its much more in line with the radio you are using.
Thats probably what I will do. The hope to use the Peltor was just that I have one laying around in my gear that isnt being used. It is a nice one so I just hoped there was an easy way to put it to use. But it appears there isnt. I am not super concerened about appearance or anything like that. I want good utility over anything else. If the Peltor is not an easy "go" with my basic setup then thats all good. Maybe it will come in handy down the line somewhere.

It sounds like you're navigating through a bit of complexity, but your approach with the parrot mic and HL earpro seems like a practical solution. Who needs unnecessary links and adapters, right?

And hey, utility over appearance any day! If the Peltor isn't seamlessly fitting into your setup, no worries. Your gear should work for you. Also, connector injection molding might be the missing link, so exploring that avenue could be interesting.