R.M.R.'ed / Compensated Pistol Observations & Maintenance

JHaddock07

Amateur
**PREFACE**​

Eventually, all things need some sort of service or maintenance performed. However, proactive maintenance trumps reactive maintenance; especially if your life may rely upon its proper function. While I am not trying to shrink the pool of potential respondents, my personal experience is built around the framework of the "Roland Special" concept. While some considerations have been addressed between Facebook, this forum, and other social media outlets, I figured it would be good to consolidate observations, as well as offer potential insight for those with setups similar to the "Roland Special" concept.

**QUESTION**
I'm curious to know what my fellow pistol shooters have found to be necessary items to check, and at what intervals these checks are performed in regards to owning, shooting, carrying, and maintaining an RMR'ed / Compensated pistol; or any combination thereof?

**Relative Background Info.**​

Pistol Mechanical Specs:
  • Glock 19 Gen 4 (9mm)
  • Agency Arms Drop in trigger
  • NDZ Stainless Steel Guide Rod
  • ISMI 15* Recoil Spring
  • Trijicon RMR06
  • KKM Barrel & Compensator
  • Surefire X-300U (A)
  • Magpul GL17 magazines (training only)
  • Factory G19 magazine(s) w/ TTI +3 (carry only)
Training / Usage Info:
  • Dry Fire (daily) : including slide manipulation, malfunctions drills, draw stroke from IWB / OWB holsters, and reloads.
  • Live Fire (min. 1 trip per week) : Round counts range from 50-300 rds per trip depending on training focus.
  • Training Ammo: Speer Lawman 147 Gr.
**Observations**
  1. Rapid carbon buildup in pistol and magazine internals, due to blowback created by the compensator.
  2. RMR mounting screws loosen. There doesn't seem to be any consistent pattern of which side loosens or how many shots before the screw(s) will start to back out. Initially, I thought my RMR was crapping out or failing to hold zero because of the drastic shift in POA / POI.
  3. Compensator Set Screws loosen. Expansion due to rate / volume of fire will cause the set screws to back out.
  4. Failure to Eject / Stovepipes with 115 gr. ball ammo.
**Protocol**​
  • Use more lubricant than would be considered "acceptable" in a non-compensated setup, and or switch to a higher quality lubricant I.E. SLIP 2000 / MPRO-7.
  • Field strip, wipe down, reapply lubricant to pistol after each live fire session.
  • Detail clean pistol and magazines every ~1K rds.
  • Check tightness of RMR set screws before and after every live fire session.
  • Apply blue loctite to the threads of the compensator setscrews, let sit for 24 hours or as long as possible.
  • The initial approach was to detail clean the pistol.
  • The second attempted fix was to apply liberal amounts of lube.
  • Swap the factory R.S.A. from a "Captured" (dual) R.S.A. @ 17 lbs. spring weight, to a single spring R.S.A. @ 15 lbs. spring weight.

Yondering

I've been using an RMR'd G21 for about 5 years, and an RMR'd G19 for about 3 years. Sometimes the 19 has a brake/comp on it, and I used to use them more in the past on other pistols including a G23.

First thought - your screw loosening issue on the RMR doesn't sound right. I tighten the screws when I change the battery once per year, that's it. Each screw gets a dab of Loctite 243 (not 242), and is tightened fairly tight but not gorilla tight. Never had one come loose, or trouble removing one that I've installed.

On the comp set screws - I loctite the barrel threads as you mention, and the set screws. If they're cleaned of oil first, you shouldn't have any issues with it loosening.

I shoot ~ 1,000 rounds per month through a pair of G19s, one stock and one RMRd and sometimes comp or suppressor. My most frequent maintenance item is just the RMR glass; it collects lint/etc from daily carry, and fingerprints, gun oil, and powder residue. I rarely clean the rest of the gun, every few months at most, and haven't needed to do it more often. You may be using pretty dirty ammo, or may just be pickier about cleaning?

The only malfunctions I have, comp or not, are related to underpowered ammo.

MisterHelix

My RMR screws have not loosened, but it is important to note that the mounting screws are L/R specific, with the Left screw longer than the right. If these are reversed, the mounting screw can bind the extractor depressor plunger, potentially causing malfunctions. Ask me how I know.

Regarding fouling from the compensator, after shooting mostly suppressed for a few years it seems pretty clean to me.

I do keep some q-tips (along with a boresnake and a tiny tube of lube) in my EDC bag, as the RMR can indeed get dirty. Not just from carbon blowback, but from rain, dirt, dust, lint, etc.

JHaddock07

Amateur
To be fair @Yondering I have not put loctite on the set screws for the RMR, although I may give that a go. Since applying loctite to the comp. threads though, I haven't had an issue there again.

In regards to the "cleaning intervals", the live fire that I do is solely done through this specific pistol, and in that specific configuration. As of this moment, I do not have the opportunity to rotate between pistols (broke college student problems). Meaning that this is not just a training or plinking firearm, it is also my everyday carry gun, so the cleanliness is moreso proactive / preventative should I find myself in the worst case scenario of a defensive shooting. The neat-freak in me also plays a roll I'm sure.

I agree that the source of the malfunctions were related to underpowered ammo, but my option was to either accept that I'm going to be a malfunction clearing demi-god by the time I worked through my last 1k of 115 gr. ammo, before switching to 147 gr. for training; or spend a few bucks and get a lighter R.S.A. that will allow all grain weights of ammo to feed appropriately. Hah! :D

@MisterHelix You're not the first person to have reported that particular that learning experience. Thankfully I avoided that little hang up.

I suppose that my suppressor analogy was not a fair comparison, the main point was to highlight the rather sharp increase in carbon build up between a compensated / not compensated pistols.

Good catch on the lens debris issue. I can't believe I forgot that one, seeing as I have to wipe it down almost daily.

Yondering

In regards to the "cleaning intervals", the live fire that I do is solely done through this specific pistol, and in that specific configuration. As of this moment, I do not have the opportunity to rotate between pistols (broke college student problems). Meaning that this is not just a training or plinking firearm, it is also my everyday carry gun, so the cleanliness is moreso proactive / preventative should I find myself in the worst case scenario of a defensive shooting. The neat-freak in me also plays a roll I'm sure.

The RMR G19 I mentioned above is my EDC pistol as well. They don't have to be clean to run reliably. Nothing wrong with cleaning it often, but it may not be as necessary as you think.

MrMurphy

Not specific to this, but Walmart has 1 use lens cleaning wipes from Zeiss. About 50 for 3 bucks. I keep half a dozen in my rifle case and go bag for my Aimpoint, binos and glasses on duty. Handy and cheap.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
My RMR screws have not loosened, but it is important to note that the mounting screws are L/R specific, with the Left screw longer than the right. If these are reversed, the mounting screw can bind the extractor depressor plunger, potentially causing malfunctions. Ask me how I know.

Regarding fouling from the compensator, after shooting mostly suppressed for a few years it seems pretty clean to me.

I do keep some q-tips (along with a boresnake and a tiny tube of lube) in my EDC bag, as the RMR can indeed get dirty. Not just from carbon blowback, but from rain, dirt, dust, lint, etc.

New to compensators. When you boresnake your barrel do you take the comp off or leave it on?

Just dropping this here for you guys EDC'ing with RMRs, and eventually getting to that "grimey" point.

91% isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip applied bi-monthly to my glass for about a year now has given no ill effects and leaves it squeaky clean. Trying to use Zeiss wipes, and other optics-specific cleaners did not do as good a job.

YMMV.

Have you all seen the rolandito yet? Just got mine built and taking it to the range. can't wait. I considered the g26 vs 43. I carry the 43 b/c of thickness when in biz dress. I have my g19 Roland special for all the other times. I also run a g19 cut down frame to g26 size with surefire xc-1 that I will run from time to time.

3bc851a563b3ec25ab404ab1e2126580.jpg

Did well at the range. Had a ghost pro connector that had some hiccups but good time to practice malfunction drills. I left with it running reliably. The comp locked in with the red locktite left over night. Good summer carry option. The red dot still comes into view with me draw as I look directly at what I will shoot and bring the dot to my line of sight. My 2 cents but I am a nurse practitioner by trade so not a gunfighter by profession. Just a wannabe! :) stay safe and have fun.