Questions on lights for home defense

tylerw02

I have decided to simplify my home defense carbine and get back to basics. However,
There are some limitations.

For one, I'm going from a 13" SMR to a factory 6920 with Magpul SL furniture. Therefore, my light-mounting solutions are limited. No longer will I have the Fury and all the lumens...which leads to my questions.

With the wider, less hot center, is it advantageous to consider a 12 o'clock mounted U-boat for a gun strictly for indoor home defense use? LAV seems to highly recommend this setup. On a Colt 6920 with plastic hand guards it would be mounted in front of the FSB and be able to be activated ambidextrously. Will I be at a disadvantage in my home vs the Fury?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
First, no. I don't think you'll be at too much of a disadvantage in a residence in changing lights.

Keep in mind though that the FSB is going to get hot. Where your hand/arm going to be when you're actuating your light that is forward of the FSB ? Vickers does advocate an X300 at 1200 but it's mounted to a rail with no FSB so it's not really the same.

You could for instance get the MLOK mounting kit and mount that Fury to the hand guard and keep your lumens.

tylerw02

Actually, back years ago he advocated the DD FSP rails.

I hope I won't get into a round-count in my home that the rifle is going to be too hot.

My initial idea was to get an mlok kit but with the short 7" hand guard, I'm concerned that it will be crunching my support hand grip, though I'm open to the concept.

Austin Black

Amateur
If your concerned about space why are you going back to a 7" handguard. Why not keep the 13". Seems counter productive especially when your giving up so much to gain nothing in return?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tylerw02

The other rifle is becoming something else...getting a 1-6x and will be used quite differently.

tylerw02

No sir, I probably wasn't being clear enough. I figure a factory 6920 should be quite good for this role.

Austin Black

Amateur
It will serve you well. I used to use a 6920 with the magpul forend with a VFG with a scout light on the right side and tape switch on the left. It worked perfect for what I wanted to do with it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Longeye

Established
I have decided to simplify my home defense carbine and get back to basics.

On a Colt 6920 with plastic hand guards it would be mounted in front of the FSB and be able to be activated ambidextrously. Will I be at a disadvantage in my home vs the Fury?

Shoot me a PM. I have a Mossie Tactics mount you need for this project. The project I bought it for never materialized.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MrMurphy

Our duty rifles are stock 6920s. An IWC front sight light mount will mount a Fury easily and not overheat.

I would go with an IWC SMCXL mount. It extends the light a bit farther forward than the original SMC mount. For me, this makes for a more comfortable and natural feeling position of the rear tail cap in relation to my thumb.

If you like your fury, might as well stay with it.

tylerw02

It's going to stay on where it is. The rifle got a 1-6x, which is why I don't want to use it for home defense.

I'm not a big fan of the IWC products and don't know if I'm willing to mount it to plastic and limit my hand placement.