Qualifier vs match?

Nikguy

Amateur
Hello all,

I've looked this up enough that I think it's finally time to just ask.
So a few friends and I are wanting to get into shooting USPSA but are confused about how qualifiers work.

Are qualifiers separate events from matches? Or are they hosted at the same time/place?

The reason I ask is, looking at several shooting ranges schedules, matches are listed frequently, but I have NEVER seen a qualifier listed on the calendars of any range. Also, none of these ranges have ever responded to any of my inquiries.

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Nick

tylerw02

Classifiers. They are a set of standard drills that are done across the country that ranks you as a percentage of the best scores in the country. Your score is what determines your classification.

This will be stages within a match. Some matches are nothing but classifiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tylerw02

Also, some guys will tease you for calling classifiers “qualifiers”. Some make some pretty good jokes. Don’t ask how I know.

Nikguy

Amateur
Also, some guys will tease you for calling classifiers “qualifiers”. Some make some pretty good jokes. Don’t ask how I know.

Ha good to know.
So it sounds like a should just start a membership then and sign up for some matches?

tylerw02

Yep. And don’t worry about classifiers or even being classified. It’s only good for bragging rights and for placing you in divisions of higher level matches. If you’re in this to get better, always work on getting better overall rather than trying to game the classifiers.

Also don’t focus on winning matches. You’re going to have a hard time competition against PCCs or Open shooters. Just focus on shooting at the speed you can see your sights. Call every shot and move on.

shoobe01

Established
Classifiers are set up like a complete course of fire. Only big clubs, with plenty of staff and room run them as a side many/most of their monthly matches. Most are like ours, and do them once a year or so, in place of the regular club match.

IDPA noticed that this was a PITA so no one did it and did two things a couple years ago:
  1. Every member (I think 100%) has to shoot a classifier on some schedule (annually?). Clubs are on the hook for this or they get yelled at, theoretically get decertified by the national. So: don't worry about it. The club will have classifiers and make sure you shoot them enough.
  2. They codified an easier-to-stage classifier so it's less awful to run them generally.

Only thing they may not brief you on is that classifiers do not need to be shot from concealment. Tuck in your shirt. Otherwise, follow the COF. Next year, if disappointed or very competitive, you can study up or practice.

Nikguy

Amateur
Thanks, again, good to know!

Only thing they may not brief you on is that classifiers do not need to be shot from concealment. Tuck in your shirt. Otherwise, follow the COF. Next year, if disappointed or very competitive, you can study up or practice.

Do normal matches need to be shot from concealment though? I guess I missed that part in the rules.

dcsp3x

Thanks, again, good to know!

Do normal matches need to be shot from concealment though? I guess I missed that part in the rules.

for USPSA that is dependent on the rules for your division, and are the same whether its a match or classifier, which can be found starting on page 95 found here: https://uspsa.org/documents/rules/2019_USPSA_Competition_Rules.pdf

If you are shooting carry optics, for example, currently it uses the production rules. The holster must be 'Suitable for everyday use. Race Gun type holsters prohibited.' which are basically: OWB holster on your hip not forward of your hip bone with a diagram on page 116

while for limited: 'Restriction on position of holster and other equipment: No'