QLS Fork and the Draw

kwilliams

I recently attached QLS forks to all of my various Safariland holsters and adapters to allow flexibility when wearing different set ups. One drawback I have found however that feels like it may result in an injury is the ribbing on the female half of the system. During the draw, when aquiring your master grip and beginning to pull up, the tip of the middle finger and fingernail gets caught on the ribs of the clip. A few times during quals yesterday I felt like I was going to rip my fingernail off. I'm considering grinding the ribs down flush on that side though I know it will compromise strength of the clip. My only other thought was to wrap that portion in something like moleskin though given the shape and surface contact areas, I doubt it would stay in place for very long.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
How is your middle finger touching the female end of the QLS which is on the other side of the holster from you finger?

WAVandal

@kwilliams can you post some photos of what you're talking about? I'm having trouble picturing this in my head and I use the QLS on a couple different platforms.

user12358

I have seen someone have this problems with massive bear paws and a heavy forward cant on the holster. Basically the female end of the QLS wraps around the male portion and at the rear of the QLS as worn on your body there are 6 or so ribs that most people are near but never contact. His solution was to fill inside the first 6 ribs with an epoxy of some sort and sand it smooth so that it was basically all raised to a single level as to not lose any structural integrity. You can also try adjusting to a more neutral cant if you are tilted heavily forward.

Hari

I noticed the serrated edges long ago as a potential sharp edge but it’s not caused me any issues

I know exactly what your talking about.
It was happening to me and my middle finger was rubbing raw.
The solution: I took a dremel tool and ground down the first 3 to 4 ribs of the QLS receiver. It woks great now!

If you really don’t want to run the QLS system, you can switch to the Gcode RTI system like I did.
The only issue I had was I needed a universal RTI plate to adapt my Safariland holster to RTI wheel.

kwilliams

Trying to get a decent angle without wearing the holster was tough but yes, you’d need long fingers to likely ever have interference. The idea of using epoxy to fill and smooth the ribs vs grinding them off might be the better alternative.

Attachments

• C4C5E8C8-1DAB-40EF-BA78-6F33B9CB2AFE.jpeg
    C4C5E8C8-1DAB-40EF-BA78-6F33B9CB2AFE.jpeg
    587.8 KB · Views: 60

shoobe01

Established
Wait, how are you activating the lever? My thumb is on the release lever, so it doesn't have a chance to go down there.

It’s my middle finger that drags on the ribs, not my thumb.
I have the same problem and simply dremeled the ribs flat on that side and corner. I’m not sure if it compromised the integrity of the system, but it still feels secure. I like the idea of filling the area between the ribs with an expoxy as mentioned above, just in case.