PWS Ratcheting Castle Nut/End Plate

jBravo3

I've been using the PWS Ratcheting Castle Nut on the last few lowers I've put together, just out of convenience and aesthetics (yeah, I said that) if nothing else (but I think it's a relatively good value too). I've also been recommending it in passing, just based off just my own opinion and experience.

I got to thinking that I've never heard much about it anywhere else and figured I'd ask. I know there's some gurus and lots of experience here. Is there a reason to/not to use this vs. traditional torquing+staking?

Reactions: MOT

Rockey

Honestly I put these on two builds and had them subsequently loosen up on me after a few hundred rounds. I have also been told by Chad Albrecht that if you take them off and reinstall they will not hold.

I can't recommend them. Just torque the castle nut to 40 ft lbs and stake it.

jBravo3

That's the kind of info I was looking for, but hoped I wouldn't hear. I've got a few thousand on one with no problems yet, another has several hundred, and another has zero thus far. Thanks for the input - much appreciated.

marcusa

I've used them on several builds over the years. The instructions do warn against over-tightenting, which can cause the castle nut to come loose/not seat if removed/reinstalled. PWS has great customer service so if you have one that's not working I'm sure they'll hook you up with a replacement.

Rockey

I'm not interested in a replacement. I've tried two different ones and they both failed. That's the same logic people use to justify Palmetto State Armory products. Hey yeah it didn't work, but they have great customer service and a lifetime warranty.

For a few dollars and about 10 minutes of work you can have a properly staked castle nut torqued to the correct specs and never have to worry about it breaking loose.

user12358

I have around 5500 rounds on a gun that has the ratcheting endplate with no issues including taking it off to switch to an A5 tube and re-securing with the same end plate and castle nut. That being said I don't really see any value in the setup and if the PWS setup magically disappeared off my gun today I would just replace pieces with standard parts and stake it.

Stjjames

I've used them on several builds over the years. The instructions do warn against over-tightenting, which can cause the castle nut to come loose/not seat if removed/reinstalled. PWS has great customer service so if you have one that's not working I'm sure they'll hook you up with a replacement.

Maybe I monkey’d mine- but mine stopped working, right away. I yarded it off, put a legacy unit on it- staked it & it’s been gtg.

Mine came loose during a 4 day class at front sight within a few hundred rounds. I had properly installed it one time, via the instructions, and all ready had several hundred through it at that point. After it came loose I cranked it with an armorers wrench as far as it could go with a reasonable amount of ugga duggas and it was fine for the rest of class. Haven't really touched the rifle since though. I definitely don't trust them.

KCGD

It’s a so-so solution to a problem that already has an answer. You can not replace a properly torqued and staked castle nuts and plate with a solution that has potential failure points.