Protech X-CAL™ LP Special Threat Rifle Plate

JRW

Staff member
I have that too good to be true feeling. What am I missing (what's the hitch?) with these plates?

Spec: The XCAL LP is a 10x12 ceramic composite plate weighs in at 5.1lbs(2.3kg) and is 0.4 inches (1.0cm) thick. This multi-curve shooters cut provides additional protection against a multitude of rifle and handgun threats. Threats tested:
  • 5.56x45mm 62 gr. FMJ
  • 7.62x39mm 123 gr. MSC
  • 7.62x39mm 119 gr. API BZ
  • 7.62x54Rmm 150 gr. LPS FMJ
  • 7.62x51mm 148 gr.
http://www.safariland.com/body-armor/x-cal-lp-special-threat-rifle-plate-1166518.html

These are $160 through my local dealer. I wasn't looking to be cheap. I was actually looking at much more expensive plates, but I thought I should at least as around about these. I am looking for something I can wear all shift long over IIIa soft armor and still fight drunks and assholes in.

Thanks,

JRW

Kamp

They are an In Conjunction with plate. To get those ratings as trsted you mist have the soft armor they tested it with.

They are fragile as I believe they are essentially all ceramic if I remember correctly.

Look at stats. Typically the cases in which you know you will face a rifle you can armor up.

Unfortunately these anomalies like Dallas pop up. As Paul Howe calls them "chicken plates" tend to sometimes give a false sense of security.

Have a set of rifle plates in a carrier on front seat and put on calls where need them as enroute. Not sure the extra weight is worth wearing around all the time for percentage of time rifles are actually used in assaults on officers. Although that also depends on your AO.

My .02 for what it is worth.

JRW

Staff member
I'm following you on a lot of that. I'll continue to evaluate how I'll use plates.

What is the difference between these and more expensive plates like Velocity Systems BZ plates?

Kamp

Im not familiar with the other plates but most likely the others are a hybrid or in other words they have some dyneema of polyethylene layers. They may also have kevlar spallgiard outer covering. This will also make then somewhat more robust.

If I remember correctly the Xcal plate has some sort of very thin rubber type coating

When i was evaluating plates I asked tbe salesman if they would give us 1 to drop (simulate dropping putting into patrol car) then shoot. He pointed out that It clearly said on the plate not to drop.

I cant remember if I ever saw their test reports or not.

The biggest deal is how robust is it? I have stuff happen such as stuff falling out of cars etc so If it was me I would opt for a higher quality hybrid plate. But not the NIJ06 drop tested plate. Adds too much material to pass testing and becomes too thick.

I evaluated the Tencata plates and really like them. For the money they offered a lot of protection and seemed fairly robust.

As far as hard armor goes there are relatively few actual manufacturers. A lot of companies rebrand those manufacturers plates. They might have a manufacturer make them a plates specific to their specs. A good example isbthe point blank speed plates. Those are Tencata pates rebranded. Ive found the same plates from Victory Tactical Gear for considerably chealer because get straight from manufacturer and sell vs PB that buys them, marks up, then sell through dealer that marks up. I am sure Velocity is the same as Victory butbhavemt looked into it.

Reactions: JRW
I just picked up a set and while they're thin, they are heavier than other options. I don't know that they'd work as an all day, every day option unless you have an external carrier with a pouch to fit. That extra 10+ pounds will add up after a while.