Programming

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
What program if any are you using for your Physical training?

i.e. Crossfit, Gym Jones, Military Athelete, RAW, etc.

P-Hustle

Crossfit has always been far too random for me, while I recognize some gyms have solid programming the main site stuff is just all over the place.

MilAth and Gym Jones were immensely successful, but my rest and diet had to be damn near perfect in order to effectively recover from the work load. Rob Shaul's programming is ok, but you really need genetics on your side to be able to handle it for an extended period of time, not every soldier or cop was going to be an Olympian in another life.

Rotating conditioning programs (Jamieson's 8 weeks out, some random 5K-10K programs, basic fitness swimming programs) while cycling a solid strength program like Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 or Rip's Starting Strength has, for me, been the most successful long term solution.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
For me, variety has been key. I stopped Olympic lifting for a while due to injuries. I started again but without the goal of lifting a school bus, I'm lifting heavy but not going crazy like I was as a younger man. I do that twice a week, a xfit kinda workout thing twice a week and run twice a week. 7 th day off.

Xfit kinda thing includes heavy bag and ground bag reps. I would guess that a real fitness guy would say my shit is jacked up, but it works for me.

P-Hustle

Additionally, I recommend the UBRR as a standard of fitness far more than any standard PFT. If you are looking for assistance work to flesh things out, you can always use its reliance on dips/pullups/bench/etc as a start.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Currently trying to follow SOFWODs:
https://sofwods.com/sofwod/
Downside with this one is that its based on a 2 a day, 1-2 hours each workout program. If you have the time, great. I've taken to tweaking the workouts to a combined variant of the daily workouts and get a 2 hour one in on my days off, 1 hour on my work days. Try to use my rest/recovery day on a work day.

Another option is:
http://www.soflete.com/

Grizzly

Doing crossfit here. The coaches seem to follow a good theme of body part or lift progression. And they are OK with wearing plate carriers and what have you during the work out. No real guns but aside from that they are support of wearing any "work" related gear you want.

I find the best coach in whatever my current objective is and implement. Named workouts and programs are for housewives and college kids

Lef

Your programming depends on what your physical demands are. If you are trying to become Mr. Olympia you will need to train differently than if you want to be an NFL wide receiver.

That being said, I use a 3 phase program with a hypertrophy phase, strength phase, and power phase at about 6-8 weeks each.

Hypertrophy phase isn't bodybuilding phase, I focus on the big 4 (squat, bench, dead lift and overhead press) and crank up the volume with a lower percentage of 1RM.

Strength phase is just that. Low to medium volume at a higher percentage of 1RM. I use Jim Wendler's 5-3-1 here. I like that he builds a 15% safety factor off of your 1RM. This is important because if you spend too much time working at anything more than about 90% of your 1RM, you are putting a ton of stress on your central nervous system. I used a different program about a year ago and I made great progress but my CNS was so jacked that I haven't gotten anywhere near those PRs since.

Power phase uses a lot of Olympic stuff mostly tracking bar speed at weight. Also lots of jumps and throws.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I base my conditioning off of what phase I am in. I don't go out and smash many long runs anymore for reasons that are too complicated to go into here but I condition with circuits, on the rower, interval work on the track, hill sprints, or prowler pushes.

I see that someone else offered you some programming. Cool. If you want you can shoot me a PM and I can probably help you come up with something also.

I've had great results with Mil Athletes training plans as well as operator sessions. The training is challenging but with enough variety that you don't get burnt out. Like anything it requires a bit of common sense. If your dragging you need to scale or rest as appropriate, this is more true when work or life prevent you from maximizing sleep and nutrition.

Lef,

Did you do the modcast on P&S? If so, then thanks for the great information. Do you have any reading material/blogs/etc you recommend? My instructor training is limited to mil. and academy type stuff. Everything is very canned and not holistic at all. The information about proper downtime really struck a chord with me as personal experience mired that closely.

Lef

@Confused Squirrel Hey brother, I am not a mod so... no. I would, of course, be more than happy to be a mod and do the modcast but, alas, I am cherry AF on this site. No big deal. Most of what I know I have picked up myself or learned from the strength and conditioning coaches where I work. I can point you at some decent reading materials, however.

The first is:
5/3/1 The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength by Jim Wendler.
(https://www.amazon.com/Simplest-Eff...ook/dp/B00AJ8CIQM?ie=UTF8&ref_=asap_bc#navbar)

Also his follow on book Beyond 5/3/1

Starting strength by Mark Rippetoe is good too.

The problems with those is that they rely on linear progression which is GREAT for beginners but isn't really how the body adapts once you reach a higher, more elite level of strength. BUT I have been working the 5/3/1 system for years now and it is still working for me so either I am not progressing as fast as I think or I was a weak ass son of a bitch when I started.

Testosterone Nation ( www.tnation.com) has some good articles too. Wendler writes for them. So does Christian Thibaudeau. Both have some really good information. Thibaudeau tends to be a BIT more towards the body building side and be careful of some of his high percentage of 1RM workouts as they will fry your central nervous system, but the information is good.

I will admit that one of the biggest issues I have with my program is that it is super easy for me to find gym time. Once you start getting stronger, it gets addictive as hell, but making the time to condition... that is the problem. As I said above, I try to mimic the training cycle of a defensive back, particularly a safety. Those dudes are big but not massive, strong as fuck, fast, explosive, and agile. They have a level of practical endurance (being able to perform over and over at a high level with minimal rest) that is amazing. Sure, I need to adapt it to my world. I'm about as likely to become a big time defensive back as I am to give birth to the next king of Nigeria, but the training premise remains the same.