Presscheck Training & Consulting No Fail Pistol Class 10.12-13.2019 Pueblo Colorado

Joe _K

Established
Equipment:

* Gen 5 Glock 34 w/ SRO2, and X-300U/B
* Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ – Fired ~ 700 rounds of the 1,300 I brought.
* 11 OEM magazines; 8x with OEM +2 Baseplates, 1x 24 round, 2x 17 round standard capacity, and 1x 10 round CA mag.
* Safariland 6382 RDS Holster on a Mid Ride UBL/QLS.
* Safariland 71 Mag pouches directly bolted to a Volundgearworks Aesir 2” wide Cobra Buckle Belt with attached Snake Eater Tactical “Drouge Chute” Dump Pouch and a Blowout kit in a 30 round AR-15 Magazine pouch consisting of a SOFT-W, Gauze and Trauma Shears.
* MSA Sordins, Surefire EP3’s and ESS Crossbows.

Prior Experience:

I’m a former enlisted Marine Combat Veteran, I work as an armed security contractor for the Federal Government CONUS, definitely not in a high speed role. I’m just a regular guy that wants and strives to be better at martial skills, especially at shooting handguns.

Prior Training:

Aside from Military schools, training for my current job and some NRA courses as a student and instructor, I attended the 2018 Shooter Symposium where I was able to train with Aaron Cowan, Scott Jedlinski, Bill Blowers, and Steve Fisher. First time being on the range with Chuck was During Bill Blowers class where Chuck volunteered to be Bill’s Assistant Instructor.

This past summer I took a Handgun class with John Corriea of Active Self Protection.

Range:

Pueblo West Sportsman Association Private range in Pueblo Colorado, first time at this range, we took over one of the 100 yards long by 50 yards wide sight in rifle ranges. There was space for 20+ shooters and the range was equipped with horizontal steel target backers that ran almost the full the length of the bay, outhouses, a covered concrete rifle line at the 100 yard marker with benches, ample parking, and a trash can.

Host:

Mr. Jeff Carpenter (USMC03) a SWAT Officer with an LE Agency, and a fellow Marine, solid stand up guy that really made the class run as smoothly as it did. Big thumbs up, he’s been hosting classes for 20 some odd years now here in Colorado.

Class Demographics:

10 students total: The range host, a pilot, a corrections officer, a construction contractor, a police officer, myself, an industry guy, with the remainder being training junkies/competitive/avid shooters.

Course Overview:

First off, this is NOT a Slowfire, stationary Camp Perry Bullseye style shooting course!
The curriculum is designed to force the shooter to be self aware by employing appropriate levels of throttle control to allow him or her to engage and deliver physiological fight stopping hits to a human threat regardless of conditions.

Day 1:

Students formed at the range entrance starting at 0730 and once everyone was present convoyed to the range bay. Gear was unloaded and staged at the 100 yard line.

After a Range specific etiquette and range rules brief from Jeff, Chuck took over and gave us the safety and medical plan. Immediately following Chuck began his opening lecture that set the tone for the next two days.

The class all then moved to the 30 yard line and staged any range gear/ammo that would be needed for the course, then Chuck paced out the yard lines, 7, 10, 15, 20, & 25 yards.
Students were then tasked with setting up target backers, and marking out the yard lines. Each student was given a 2 gallon ziplock bag with ~ 50 B-8CT’s, a Sharpie, 3 rolls of tape, and a can of Spray glue.

As a class we all received a period of instruction on targets, target repair, and why the small details of seemingly insignificance actually matter both on and off the range. The first day consisted largely of learning trigger prep, and getting “free swim” time to practice the instruction and suggestions that Chuck was handing out.

Day 2:

Was everything and more than day 1 consisted off, but at a bit faster pace, partly because of the course material, partly because the students had an idea of how the day would go and knew what to expect. It was no less challenging.

Everything we’d done on Day 1 was repeated, albeit with one hand figuratively tied behind your back, strong hand and weak hand shooting are by far the two things with handgun shooting that I, and from the look of everyone else’s targets, most shooters struggle with. Chuck provided great insight on techniques he’s used to allow him to be as accurate as possible while firing with only one hand.

After a brief 20 minute lunch break we got into some drills that forced me to find where the wheels came off and when and how to stop, reset, and get back on target when something didn’t work, regardless if that something was a miss or a seeing/feeling something not right and refusing to fire until that issue was resolved.

The final drill was awesome and something I’ll be incorporating into classes I help out with, as well as in my own individual and buddy practice.

Takeaways:

These were all things that helped me and other students out immensely, or that was learned the hard way.

* Shoot quality consistent ammunition and
zero your handgun to it prior to start of the
class.
* Be able to shoot at least a ~ 75-80 minimum
on a B-8 at 25 yards freestyle/slow fire.
* Bring a handgun that is as close to your
training handgun as possible.
* Wear 4 pistol mag pouches minimum. On
your person.
* Have a way to carry extra loose ammo on
your person, ziplock or DAKA pouch in a
pocket or dump pouch works well.
* Have as many preloaded magazines prior to TD1 as possible, otherwise Uplulas are legit.
* Have an adjustable sighting system on your
handgun, MRDS, or Dawsons.
* Wear comfortable weather appropriate
clothing and footwear.
* Have food that doesn’t need to be heated or
kept cool, stay hydrated.
* Bring your own sharpie!
* Don’t be THAT guy!
* Pay attention when Chuck is talking!

Final Thoughts:

This is a very different kind of shooting class than anything I’ve seen or heard of. It was mentally exhausting and incredibly rewarding all at the same time. and provided me with invaluable information and insight on a broad range of topics, instructor development, the culture of excellence, not accepting mediocrity as it applies to handgun shooting, and overall becoming a more self aware shooter and person.

I highly recommend this course, but it is not for everyone. Take a class that covers the basics of handgun shooting, show up prepared, test yourself and equipment prior to showing up, bring everything on the packing list, keep an open mind, and listen, you’ll learn a lot in a very short 20 hours. 232F3B99-6E53-49D6-A6FE-A4ECF90E7B73.jpeg856F39EB-5C07-4154-A9FA-AC0BB4718F80.jpegBA33C277-9BAE-4013-9BC2-188091527F18.jpeg4511FAD3-1795-4F03-AC58-A4F36BC0928A.jpeg95755F29-85DE-46B0-8F9C-656CB7FCAC18.jpeg0317C54E-0212-4FBC-853E-25A192747BA6.jpegA7898104-09D8-494E-B2A3-74063FEFA47F.jpegB68EBC1E-6445-420A-B385-9DA5141FF7AE.jpeg6B6F9141-B658-4476-94D8-D7E3E0E79E51.jpeg174118D8-A98F-4DBE-8F57-E9742B808E6A.jpeg