Preparing for the POWER test for LE (Seeking advice)

Jake_Disty

Amateur
The long story short is that I am slightly overweight and not as active as I should be. The other day I finally realized that I need to take my physical health more seriously. The reason for my sudden change is because I need to improve my physical health before going off to the Police Academy in Illinois. I do not have any deadline for when I leave for the academy at this point, I am still a part of a ongoing internship program with my department that I plan to apply with. I have already started by working on the elliptical twice a day and doing what I can with it. I am looking into a real gym membership and I believe having a personal trainer would be beneficial to me getting my start.

I want to ask for any advice on how to prepare for the academy in terms of my physical health. Any advice is welcome.

Grizzly

How much budget/time per week do you have for this? In an ideal world I'd say do BJJ5 days a week to include an open mat or two (1hr+ just rolling) as cardio. Add in a strength focused routine 3-4 days a week.

Log your calories and adjust them as needed to drop weight. A nutrition consultant/trainer could help with the weights and nutrition. A BJJ place that has a MMA side or focus could likely point you to a coach in that area. Since coming in strong and at a certain weight is important for fights and bjj tournaments.

Many BJJ gyms will have a decent enough weight area you can use to avoid having two memberships. And having a solid base in BJJ will be of great value in LEO stuff.

Jake_Disty

Amateur
How much budget/time per week do you have for this? In an ideal world I'd say do BJJ5 days a week to include an open mat or two (1hr+ just rolling) as cardio. Add in a strength focused routine 3-4 days a week.

Log your calories and adjust them as needed to drop weight. A nutrition consultant/trainer could help with the weights and nutrition. A BJJ place that has a MMA side or focus could likely point you to a coach in that area. Since coming in strong and at a certain weight is important for fights and bjj tournaments.

Many BJJ gyms will have a decent enough weight area you can use to avoid having two memberships. And having a solid base in BJJ will be of great value in LEO stuff.

I am looking into BJJ. The fitness trainer I plan to work with has solid background in MMA.

krunker

If your goal is to increase fitness, then cardio exercises are most helpful. It helps you increase your endurance and improve your health quickly. However, you should also consider krrts suitable for weight exercises to tone the body and build muscle. The ideal schedule is 3 cardio sessions a week. 3 curls, you can combine weight training and running is also a good idea for endurance training.

krunker