Preferred Sling?

Matt0311

I was just reminded of how shitty those single point loop bungie slings are. I was at work a little late writing a report and heard a call for two men, one firing a rifle at a house. I run out into the garage and hop in with a buddy who hands me his rifle while he drove. Naturally it's a couple kids with a BB gun who we end up half assed chasing. But it reminded me how bad those slings suck. I just ordered him a VTAC from Brownells.

Abuchanan

Amateur
I've used a couple different slings, the VTACs, both padded and unpadded, the Magpul line, and the BFGs.... i have to say, the BFG slings are the best built slings ive ever used, they are incredibly solid, and super stupid easy to adjust...

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
One thing that has come up to me based on using one on my issued rifles lately, is simplicity. The VTAC sling has all sorts of webbing and tails running all over the place. If I'm running the sling tight enough to create tension for support (running a .30Hate gun for example), when I go to reload a 308 PMAG, that webbing gets caught up in the reload. Also, the new VTAC setups have a great update - the pull tab is a rubber coated tab instead of the old double webbing or whatever it was. Much easier to manipulate.

Haven't had that issue with a VCAS, Sierra Tac, Magpul MS1, or the new SOB U loop sling. Might not be an issue with a 5.56 gun as you probably don't need the sling for tension that much, but something to consider.

5150Magnet

Amateur
I've used the BFG VCAS for awhile now and found them to be my favorite. Although having talked with other guys from department they seem to like VTACs, SOBs, and Magpuls too. I think it really boils down to personal preference. All of those slings are well-made, have practical features and work as they were intended. My personal preference is I like the VCAS due to the wider 1.25" webbing, easy to grab adjustment tab and well it's made in the US. I initially had tried a MS sling, but found the webbing was like a seat belt (too slick for me). Their line of slings have cool built-in features (QD adapters, 2point to 1point, etc), but like I said I prefer the VCAS. I wouldn't say it's the only sling to get obviously since I pointed out there are many great options, but for me I like being consistent for having the same sling going to a rifle or shotgun.

Tuukka

Not mentioned yet as we are a foreign manufacturer and still very unknown in the U.S. Although people on this forum may know me from working at Ase Utra sound suppressors, which is my primary occupation still.

Here is another alternative that has not been mentioned, the Recon sling from 3HGR:

[URL]https://www.3hgr.fi/en/verkkokauppa/tuotteet/3hgr-recon[/URL]

- Quality materials with IR protection
- Does not absorb water in the same way as slings that utilize cotton in the sling material. So very good feature from the arctic to the jungles.
- Relatively inexpensive for the quality

Great sling overall, even compared to the BFG VCAS slings, which I have personally used for many years.

Best Regards!

Tuukka ( co-owner at 3HGR )

tuote-recon-1.jpg

tuote-recon-2.jpg

shoobe01

Established
I am old enough I've done issue carry straps, three point slings, and even briefly the one point craze. My favorite one-point failure was literally dumping the gun because the hook let go while running across a room (in FOF, not real world) with a breaching tool in hand. Almost tripped over the gun as it fell.

Except for the precision rifle, or semi-collectible range guns with their period correct slings, always unpadded VCAS modded to have 1.25" SRs on both ends. I sew my own adapters for the guns and stick them to fixed loops (no swivels!). Like this:

9154597592_5e70d5ec60_b.jpg

Mesa shotgun loop bolted to the Alpha rail

9154597912_fb6762c47c_b.jpg

Adapter on loop, clipped to front of the sling via the SR

2019-03-12 14.01.21.jpg
Rear adapter threaded through CTR stock.

2018-03-30-16.30.58-s.jpg
Good view of the whole set up on the SBR, which does not wear the weird MARS these days, no.

2501449851_f0344075b1_b.jpg

Same setup on a 500 I no longer own (updated to a 590A1 plus who uses shotguns these days? :)

2018-11-28 09.32.46-tweak.jpg
These slings in this setup gives me enough adjustment range just to tighten it up across my chest pretty well or loosen enough to shoot when looped over even while wearing a ruck.

I gather you can buy them pretty much this way now, with clips on both ends, but not when I set up my stuff.

chasnojm

I'm a VCAS guy, I like the fact that it does not have a running tail when retention is tightened. I prefer the padded variety.

I don't have anything new to add except passing a few items that have made me successful.

1) I use Magpul brand QD swivels due to the anti-rust coating. They are the best for some reason in my mind in regards to the coating resisting corrosion which can lead to a failure. These are also found in most MCX gun/tactical accessory areas. Easy to stock up, replace suspect/unknowns as they rust.

2) Thanks to Uncle Chuck, I have paint penned lines for quick reference when adding tension. This is something from KD ranges, but is helpful when getting into a position and adding sling tension. Red for standing, Blue for kneeling, Green for prone....whatever you decide.

3) As for Rifle accessories. Depending on if a rail has built in QDs, I'll add one closer to the receiver for "CQB/close in" and one at the far end for "LR/Patrolling". With the QD button swivels, its very easy to transition on the fly from either position. The rear of the sling is affixed with a QD to the opposite side of the stock to keep the sling out of my shoulder pocket.

Wil

I started with just basic two point slings. A friend of mine started a small gear company while he was in the Army, and made an excellent version of the VTAC sling. I ran those for a while. I acquired two of the MS3 slings while taking a Magpul rifle class. The loop was kind of awkward and not easy to manipulate. I liked it's attachment points, but not it's adjustment. Recently I bought one of the MS1 slings. I absolutely love this thing! Easy to manipulate, easy to put on and easily adjustable to different lengths. I have replaced all of my slings with the MS1.

Blitzer613

Amateur
I started with just basic two point slings. A friend of mine started a small gear company while he was in the Army, and made an excellent version of the VTAC sling. I ran those for a while. I acquired two of the MS3 slings while taking a Magpul rifle class. The loop was kind of awkward and not easy to manipulate. I liked it's attachment points, but not it's adjustment. Recently I bought one of the MS1 slings. I absolutely love this thing! Easy to manipulate, easy to put on and easily adjustable to different lengths. I have replaced all of my slings with the MS1.

I’m running one of the MS4’s. What QD point/mount locations are you using? I’ve been experimenting with how I run mine for 2 point when I transition from single point but haven’t decided what works best for me. Curious to know what you’ve had success with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blitzer613

Amateur
3) As for Rifle accessories. Depending on if a rail has built in QDs, I'll add one closer to the receiver for "CQB/close in" and one at the far end for "LR/Patrolling". With the QD button swivels, its very easy to transition on the fly from either position. The rear of the sling is affixed with a QD to the opposite side of the stock to keep the sling out of my shoulder pocket.

Can you expand upon this? I’m still getting a feel for QD point locations. Is this (closer to receiver for close in) a matter of the sling being shorter/tighter to the torso for retention or is it more of a handling and manipulation issue?

Wil

I’m running one of the MS4’s. What QD point/mount locations are you using? I’ve been experimenting with how I run mine for 2 point when I transition from single point but haven’t decided what works best for me. Curious to know what you’ve had success with.

I took a Magpul class years back, post Haley/Costa, when Jon Canipe was doing the rifle class instruction. He suggested running the stock end from the far side of the stock, away from you face. I have done that ever since. Keeps it from getting in my way. He also suggested running the front side as close to the upper receiver as possible. I have played around with that formula, putting it up by the barrel (gets in my way during mag changes), in the middle of the rail (not sure why but this position just annoyed the hell out of me) and close to the receiver. I seem to always come back to close to the upper receiver. It just seems to sit better across my shoulders/chest area, and is out of the way for me while changing mags. My personal rifles/AR pistols and my patrol rifle are all set up that way.

Blitzer613

Amateur
I have primarily used QD point endplates, had that on my first rifle which was an LWRC. It has a two WD point endplate (on either side of the receiver) and that has just stuck with me. I run single point more than I run two point, probably because that’s how I learned and I’ve just gotten used to the aspects of dropping it to my side. I need to revisit the stock point away from the shooter though. I guess one big reason I haven’t gone with two point is that I’ve never really found a second QD location that functioned well for me. Anywhere along the handrail and it inevitably gets in the way of your grip (especially when we’re talking a 12” rail on my LWRC or a 9” rail on my SBR). By the time I got around to ordering Magpul’s picatinny mounted QD point I think I had already made peace with sticking to single point because I didn’t really have an issue with it (though perhaps that is just a lack of first hand benefit of the benefits of 2pt. What kind of mounting point do you use and where (picatinny @ 12, mlock at 9, stock QD point on rail, etc)

chasnojm

Closer to the muzzle aids in getting sling tension/support. Closer to the receiver allows for a bit more maneuverability in regards to a transition or such. I have one in each position.

I've run the BFG VCAS for many years...great durable overall use 2 pt sling...hard to beat.

On my new build I am trying the Ferro Concepts Slingster. A but thinner material, which is more forgiving during shoulder transitions, without having to drop your out of the sling.

I have close to 2k with the new build and sling...so far, its working out well.

Anyone else have experience with the Slingster?

KCBRUIN

Amateur
BFG Vickers padded push button. Been using it since they came out on a patrol carbine, and have never needed or wanted anything else from a sling.

Blitzer613

Amateur
BFG Vickers padded push button. Been using it since they came out on a patrol carbine, and have never needed or wanted anything else from a sling.

I’ve considered going with that sling. How good is the padded segment? Worth switching to over a Magpul MS3/4?

I'm currently running three BFG VCAS slings, two unpadded and one padded, and one Centrifuge Training sling. I currently have the Centrifuge sling on my work gun and I so far prefer it for its deployment. However, I find the VCAS has much better tensioning. I'm undecided still on if I will stay with the Centrifuge sling still.

As far as placement, I go with (as a right hand shooter) the right side of the stock and the left side of the rail next to the receiver. I need to try adding a QD point further up though.

KCBRUIN

Amateur
I’ve considered going with that sling. How good is the padded segment? Worth switching to over a Magpul MS3/4?

I’ve never had the Magpul so I can’t compare it. I’ve never thought it wasn’t padded enough or that it was padded too much.