Preferred Buffer weight for Mid length 16" rifle

#1
Sort of a noob question, but forgive me for I am new to the AR

So I got a BCM midlength upper and cheaped out and got a completed aero precision lower instead of getting a complete gun.

I've put the gun together, ran about 150 rounds through it no malfunctions, bolt locks back and ejection is pretty strong.

The buffer I have in my lower currently is a carbine buffer. From what I understand that is lighter and is going to run the gun harder and shorten lifespan but evidently will not effect my reliability in the short term.

However I got a BCM upper and midlength gas system specifically to get a durable and long lasting rifle, so what would be the preferred buffer weight with a BCM mid length to ensure the system runs as well as it can? H1, H2?

Also if it helps I pretty much will be running almost exclusively brass 55 grain m193 type ammo, mostly XM193, wolf gold, and any surplus m193 I can get my hands on for less then 300 a case
 

Simms65

Moderator
Moderator
#2
What does your ejection pattern look like? It it's ejecting in the 3:30-5:00 range you can put a heavier buffer in it, but it may not do you any good as the gas system and buffer weight will already be matched up pretty well. Heavier buffers can compensate for over gassed uppers, but will not necessarily create a system which will have a longer life span.
 
#3
What does your ejection pattern look like? It it's ejecting in the 3:30-5:00 range you can put a heavier buffer in it, but it may not do you any good as the gas system and buffer weight will already be matched up pretty well. Heavier buffers can compensate for over gassed uppers, but will not necessarily create a system which will have a longer life span.
Well its ejecting from about 2:30-3:30 and is on the order of like 7-10 yards. From what I understand isn't that pretty much what you want?
 

patriot_man

Regular Member
#4
I used to run H2 in my middy's (16") and those worked out great. Lately I have shifted to the A5 systems and running an A5H3 in most.

I like to keep a variety of buffers to test new weapons to see which ones lock back the gun and I tend to go the heaviest in order to reduce bolt bounce and decrease wear.

Big question is what type of ammo do you shoot the most? Is it full power stuff or slightly undercharged?
 
#5
I used to run H2 in my middy's (16") and those worked out great. Lately I have shifted to the A5 systems and running an A5H3 in most.

I like to keep a variety of buffers to test new weapons to see which ones lock back the gun and I tend to go the heaviest in order to reduce bolt bounce and decrease wear.

Big question is what type of ammo do you shoot the most? Is it full power stuff or slightly undercharged?
As I mentioned before pretty much full power 55 grain m193 type ammo. Like XM193, Wolf Gold(which is Taiwanese military 55 grain ammo actually), PPU M193 or any kind of military surplus m193 55 grains stuff that I can find for under $300 a case like the German or South African stuff, and maybe a few magazines of stuff like hornaday urban tap to test and for defensive use

I mean Wolf Gold might be slightly less hot then IMI m193 or something but im not shooting mouse fart lacquered steel case or commercial 223
 
#6
Big fan of the Geissele Super 42 system. It will be drop in on your carbine. There's a good, long video on the engineering behind it on YouTube. You'll either walk away educated or fall asleep though.
 
#7
Sort of a noob question, but forgive me for I am new to the AR

So I got a BCM midlength upper and cheaped out and got a completed aero precision lower instead of getting a complete gun.

I've put the gun together, ran about 150 rounds through it no malfunctions, bolt locks back and ejection is pretty strong.

The buffer I have in my lower currently is a carbine buffer. From what I understand that is lighter and is going to run the gun harder and shorten lifespan but evidently will not effect my reliability in the short term.

However I got a BCM upper and midlength gas system specifically to get a durable and long lasting rifle, so what would be the preferred buffer weight with a BCM mid length to ensure the system runs as well as it can? H1, H2?

Also if it helps I pretty much will be running almost exclusively brass 55 grain m193 type ammo, mostly XM193, wolf gold, and any surplus m193 I can get my hands on for less then 300 a case
+/- 2000 rounds through my BCM mid length w/ carbine buffer. Ammunition has been roughly 75% wolf/tula steel, the other 25% has been pretty hot m193 clones.
However, I believe bumping up to an H buffer would be more ideal.
 

Pearce

Newbie
WARLORD
#8
BCM midlength guns (14.5 or 16in) come from the factory with an H buffer installed, I'd just go with that as an easy upgrade and call it done.
 
#10
+/- 2000 rounds through my BCM mid length w/ carbine buffer. Ammunition has been roughly 75% wolf/tula steel, the other 25% has been pretty hot m193 clones.
However, I believe bumping up to an H buffer would be more ideal.
BCM midlength guns (14.5 or 16in) come from the factory with an H buffer installed, I'd just go with that as an easy upgrade and call it done.
Just order a BCM Hbuffer thanks for the info


Big fan of the Geissele Super 42 system. It will be drop in on your carbine. There's a good, long video on the engineering behind it on YouTube. You'll either walk away educated or fall asleep though.
The Geissele stuff looks interesting but ehh IDK if its worth 3 times the cost or getting something different