Practicing help.

Farmboy20

Question for the form. I’m currently practicing with my 16” 5.56 ar on a weekly basis. I am fortunate enough to have a 300 yard range right behind my house. I have been for the past few months been practicing shooting between 100-300 yards just kinda shooting few rounds at a 100 standing unsupported then shoot few at 300 standing unsupported. And a lot of practicing is for hunting/self defense. After all that my question is my time at a 100 is roughly 1.5-2.5 seconds between shots that is as fast as i can accurately pull the trigger without a just missing all over the place, and I just can’t seem to shoot any faster than that and put rounds on targets in an acceptable group and I just wanting to know does anyone have any advice to slim down that time?

There's a lot of variables there, but I always go back to the fundamentals: proper stance, support hand pulling rearward, proper cheek weld, and trigger press.

What optic are you using?

pointblank4445

Established
Your speed offhand is only going to be as good as your recoil management will allow you to be.

I'd say the time between stimulus to the first shot is the one to be practicing at those ranges (check out "Rifle Bounce" Drill from Cooper). If you want speed at those distances, learn how to build/use positions to your advantage.