PRACTICAL TO TACTICAL WITH MAX MICHEL and VATA Feb 23-25 Slidell, LA

Description from VATA web page. " VATA is teaming up with world-champion speed shooter Max Michel to present three action packed days of pistol and carbine. Students will be given instruction on the fundamentals of speed shooting, advanced firing positions, transitions, movements, shooting on the move and much more. You will learn how it all relates to real world situations and you will be tested under extreme conditions. The course focuses on the fundamentals of pistol/rifle marksmanship and how to apply these techniques in an advanced/dynamic manner. You can expect to receive training at a fast paced, high volume level while progressing to engaging targets rapidly, and accurately, from 3–50 meters as well as within 180 degrees. If you are LE/MIL or someone looking to increase your overall knowledge of both pistol and carbine in a stressful situation, this is the course for you."

This was me second time through this course. It proved again the need to focus on fundamentals. Focusing of small changes to deceptively simple stuff- hand speed, grip, draw, stance recoil management, etc. all piled up until even the best shooters were fumbling a bit trying to do the small stuff right in order to shave time while acheiving acceptable accuracy for the situation.

Max pays the mortgage by winning completions and hundredth's of a second count so he is obsessively focused on efficiency and shaving dead time; the time when he is on the clock but not shooting- everything from transitioning between targets, reloads, foot placement during movement- you name it. He put himself on the timer and showed the differences between various methods and techniques.

The tactical portion took what Max taught and applied it to LE/MIL/Armed Civilian encounters. The basic theme was- "if you have to shoot to protect yourself and others, don't you want to get effective shots as fast as you can?" And, "what are all the small things you can do to shave time, get god hits, and stack the odds in your favor?"

Round count was 800-900 pistol and about 500 rifle. Class was capped at 12 students, Max made sure that he worked with each student on the things he noted needing improvement (he has a crazy memory and recalled what some of my shot time splits were from day to day- I can't even do that) breaks between training segments was minimal and the course ran form 0800 to 1730. Max provided us with a take home copy of his training course outline that has series of drills, training schedule, dry fire schedule, and detailed descriptions of what to focus on.

The class has a mix of local and federal LE, and armed civilians. The skill sets ranged from expert to the high end of good (if that makes sense).

I was very satisfied, the above description from VATA is accurate, I would recommend this course to anyone that seeks to get the small things right. http://www.vatatrainingcenter.com/all-services.html