PPQ plastic sights?

mak20

What's the consensus on the PPQ's plastic sights? Are they fragile junk like Glock plastic sights that should be replaced immediately?

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
I've had one customer come in and the screw had worked itself loose on the rear sight. I think they give a poor sight picture anyway, very short notch. I'd default to changing them like Glock sights.

Runcibleman

I have a 5" PPQ M1 with the metal fiberoptic front and the plastic two white dot rears. I actually shoot the gun fairly decently, but I am wondering what if any replacement sight set you might recommend? I know that Dawson does their fiberoptics, which are apparently better (my fiber optic barely collects any light other than outdoors in sunlight).

Erich

I've replaced them on both my P99s and my wife's PPQ. Dawson black rear and fiber front on the former and Dawson night sights front and rear on the latter. I'd recommend doing the same, not only because they're plastic but because the screw and spring system for the rear sight is not ideal. Many of the aftermarket metal sights use that same system. Dawsons and 10-8s are the only ones I know of with a rear that friction-fits like on other pistols, if that's what you're looking for.

Runcibleman

Hm, both the 10-8 sights and the Dawson options seem attractive. I think I'd like the very simple black rear and tritium front 10-8's, and I bet that the Dawsons are no slouch either. Plus Dawson has a Perfect Impact Policy, so they'll work with you to make sure you get the right height front sight to get able to shoot point of aim, point of impact at your preferred distance.

That begs two questions:

1. What is a recommended pistol zeroing distance for most combat-style shooting? I assume 25 yards is a bit silly, but is 10 yards too close? Would 15 be a respectable compromise? Please keep in mind that I shoot a lot at 5 and 7 yards as well.

2. Assuming I shoot the same ammo all the time (which is nearly true), how do I go about figuring out the right height of sights for a 5" Walther PPQ in 9mm?

Runcibleman

Hm, the pistol zero distance thing is driving me nuts. So, I get it, minimal bore-sight height offset on pistols makes for a less of an issue than with an AR with sights a good inch and a half or two inches higher than the bore. But, that said, would a 25 yard zero be ideal for all shooting within 25 yards? or if my shooting is all or mostly all within 25 yards, is there a better compromise zero? Somehow I think I'm overthinking this and imagining that 9mm rounds have some crazy ballistic arcs to 25 yards when I know that they don't.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
Hm, the pistol zero distance thing is driving me nuts. So, I get it, minimal bore-sight height offset on pistols makes for a less of an issue than with an AR with sights a good inch and a half or two inches higher than the bore. But, that said, would a 25 yard zero be ideal for all shooting within 25 yards? or if my shooting is all or mostly all within 25 yards, is there a better compromise zero? Somehow I think I'm overthinking this and imagining that 9mm rounds have some crazy ballistic arcs to 25 yards when I know that they don't.

Someone posted up differences between zero distances with 9mm - Ill see if I can track down the images. 99% of people aren't going to notice any shift whatsoever from a 25m zero at closer distances.

I think Jedi has a good breakdown of his zero procedure. I know most guys aren't shooting 98s on 25m B8s which makes zeroing difficult at that range. I believe he advocates for a 10m zero where its easier to achieve a group to adjust from followed by confirming at 25m. Its the same principle as the 50/200(ish) zero - get your windage dialed in 100% at 50 and then make elevation adjustments only at 200.

Rick

Runcibleman

Someone posted up differences between zero distances with 9mm - Ill see if I can track down the images. 99% of people aren't going to notice any shift whatsoever from a 25m zero at closer distances.

I think Jedi has a good breakdown of his zero procedure. I know most guys aren't shooting 98s on 25m B8s which makes zeroing difficult at that range. I believe he advocates for a 10m zero where its easier to achieve a group to adjust from followed by confirming at 25m. Its the same principle as the 50/200(ish) zero - get your windage dialed in 100% at 50 and then make elevation adjustments only at 200.

Rick
Excellent idea! Yeah, I can't shoot 98s on B8's, that's for sure.