Plate sizing: How to do it?

Runcibleman

So I'm 6'4" tall, weight 205 pounds, have a 35" waist and have a 44" chest. I have seen 10"x12" plates, and though they'll cover exactly the vitals in the Steve Fisher zone, they are a little small on me. So the question is: How do I correctly size plates for my body? Additional considerations:

1. I'm getting the Velocity/Mayflower LPAC carrier with Velocity's VS-63A1 soft armor.
2. I am looking at primarily Swimmer's Cut sized plates, like these that are available in 11"x14" shooter's cut, multiple curvature: https://defenderdepot.com/product/duritium3gt-body-plate/

That said, is the XL SAPI form factor (11x14") potentially too large? How does one know without buying plates that might not be right after all?

Runcibleman

Interesting! I think some large sheets of cardboard and I will get busy this weekend and I'll mock up from plates and see how they cover in light of that excellent article. Thank you Tucker!

Ridgedaddy

Circa 2013 at CIF on Camp Lejeune it was nipple to nipple and an inch below the collar bone. for ESAPI measurment.

Sorry to necropost, but I had some follow up questions. I'm 6" 2" but I have a long and wide torso. I have seen several places on the internet the advice to measure from the suprasternal notch to the top of the belly button. The linked PDF above mentions protecting the diaphragm as the only guide for where the lower edge of the plate should be. The PDF also concedes that not all of the diaphragm can be protected. The problem is that the diaphragm curves with the rib cage so in the center of the torso it can be well above the belly button but closer to the sides it can even be below the belly button. So is the belly button advice still a good rough measure to go by? The issue that I have is that my measurement from my suprasternal notch to the top of my belly button is a little over 15" and from outside edge to outside edge of my nipples is almost exactly 12". Again, the PDF says that "in some individuals the nipples may be slightly more lateral than the apex of the heart." My nipples do have a fairly distinct facing outward orientation to them (sorry if that's TMI); is that an indication of the above mentioned situation? Will I need a Hesco XL (11" x 14")? Is that still too small? Or can I get away with a large or even medium?

Fatboy

Established
For the average human, a medium plate will work. (Medium being a 10x12 roughly.)

If you think you need more coverage because you are a larger mammal, then size up accordingly by measuring the area you want to protect and buy the matching size.

Don't overthink it too much. And don't buy a carrier until you have the plates.

Ok, thank you. I probably am overthinking it. But I'm brand new to armor. I'm also trying to buy high quality with my limited funds.
So, should I measure to the top of my belly button or somewhere else?

patriot_man

At 6' 2" w/ wide torso I am inclined to think you are a large. The average male is usually a medium.

Could you measure sternal notch to your belly button? Nipple to nipple is also a good measurement (if you are not fluffy).

Hey Darth Im new to the armor game as well and just got my first set of plates. I’m a similar size as you 6’2”, 46” chest, 11.5” outer edge of nips, and 17” notch to bellybutton.
I went with Large SAPI and I’m happy with coverage. An XL would be too big for me. Hope that’s helpful