Plate Carriers

DDPatriot

I'm looking at plate carriers for classes in the future. Specifically looking at Mayflower Research Low-Profile Assault Armor carrier and Velocity Systems Scarab light carrier. Pros/cons of each? Thoughts?

Longeye

Established
Velocity and Mayflower both make top notch stuff. You will not go wrong with either company. I have been a user of their equipment since they first came on the open market in 2008.

I have run 15 different armor carriers since 2005. This includes PC, full coverage and hybrid rigs. Each has their place, but can cross over to a degree.
Definition time:
-plate carrier being narrowly defined as a carrier that only carries plates and backer armor.
-full coverage carrier accepts plates and full wrap soft armor that extends around the sides of the torso under the armpits.
-hybrid is loosely a plate carrier that can or does integrate detachable and separate cummerbund armor.

The Mayflower is a good full coverage carrier. It is what I a currently running as my patrol armor with VS13A armor and Velocities superb PBZ plates. It is comfortable, offers very good mobility, and integrates well with comms, mag and IFF. It may be overkill for just taking classes unless the classes require multiple gear lines and substantial coverage.
I also have had excellent results with the Crye JPC, and First Spear Strandhogg (SAPI cut). I have used both for callout rigs and am still using the JPC in that capacity.

The JPC is probably the best all purpose carrier going. It works well for classes, is expandable for various duty uses, provides the least disruption of shoulder mount when using long arms, and can by run slick for lower profile tasks.

A910

I'm looking at plate carriers for classes in the future. Specifically looking at Mayflower Research Low-Profile Assault Armor carrier and Velocity Systems Scarab light carrier. Pros/cons of each? Thoughts?

Reason why you singled these two out?

More info on what types of classes?

What the application of the carrier will be? (Civ SHTF? LE patrol? LE Entry? PMC? Mil? Bounty Hunter? Drug dealer? Aspiring overlord of the human race?)

As longeye said, different styles of carriers are designed for different roles. It also impacts your "approach" to fighting/accomplishing tasks. There is no 1 PC to rule them all.

DDPatriot

The were a few reasons I kind of settled on the two carriers. Both manufactureres are known for quality, both are reasonably priced, and recommendations from squared away dudes that actually use the shit out of them.

Working towards shoothouse training with Sentinel Concepts or EAG Tactical. Last year was the first I actually trained with my guns. I finished the year taking 5 pistol and carbine courses. And I have to say I'm kind of hooked. I want to work toward getting off training on the square range.

Application - Civilian as f*ck.

I guess I'm going to take a look at the PC's that Longeye mentioned.

AT Armor

Vendor
The were a few reasons I kind of settled on the two carriers. Both manufactureres are known for quality, both are reasonably priced, and recommendations from squared away dudes that actually use the shit out of them.

Working towards shoothouse training with Sentinel Concepts or EAG Tactical. Last year was the first I actually trained with my guns. I finished the year taking 5 pistol and carbine courses. And I have to say I'm kind of hooked. I want to work toward getting off training on the square range.

Application - Civilian as f*ck.

I guess I'm going to take a look at the PC's that Longeye mentioned.

Either option is GTG, however I would recommend that you go back a step and determine the protection package first then decide what you want to carry it.
Based on your requirements the most likely threat is another student's rifle or pistol. That puts the requirement squarely against 5.56 varieties and maybe 7.62x39 mild steel core as well as common pistol rounds. Fairly easy requirement to meet. If you see a need to protect against something outside of this envelope it will lead you to a different solution, just make that decision early on in the process.
As @Longeye stated, there are coverage options that may be more in tune with your requirements. While a full armor carrier may not be in order for you (Velocity LPAC / LPAAC) there may be some peace of mind gained by having the ability to add soft panels to your plate carrier’s cummerbund (not necessarily side plates). A full armor carrier is a lot of coverage and capability you may not need to invest in for your requirement.
We usually recommend a plate carrier (usually a slick version) for our clients who share your requirements. Choose the armor first based on the most likely threat(s), choose the amount of coverage you need (plate carrier vs armor carrier) and then select a quality carrier that is capable of carrying the armor package you select. This methodology will keep you from chasing a solution set or ending up with a component that is not compatible with the rest of your setup.
Vr

Check OPtactical now 179.99 mayflower was bought out my velocity systems. Solid rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk