Pistol WML recommendations

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
Hey y'all, I'm looking for a light recommendation for my gen 3 Glock 22. Looking for the best light I can get for ~$200 or less. Compatible holster recommendations are also appreciated, for competition/training, not duty or concealment (yet). I've found the advice I've picked up around here to be really good so far, so I figured I'd run this by you guys and see what I can come up with.

iFeelBad

When they are in stock, Big Tex Outdoors has Surefire x300u customer returns for $200. It is just open box stock. Otherwise you might need to stretch your budget a little to get one.

Other than that, I would look at the Streamlight Tlr-1 HL.

I have both, and I prefer the switches on the Surefire over the Streamlight, but the Streamlight is cheaper. But both are good lights imo. I don't have any experience with any wml smaller than that these. So, someone else will have to chime in if these are too big for what you want.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
When they are in stock, Big Tex Outdoors has Surefire x300u customer returns for $200. It is just open box stock. Otherwise you might need to stretch your budget a little to get one.

Other than that, I would look at the Streamlight Tlr-1 HL.

I have both, and I prefer the switches on the Surefire over the Streamlight, but the Streamlight is cheaper. But both are good lights imo. I don't have any experience with any wml smaller than that these. So, someone else will have to chime in if these are too big for what you want.
Thanks for the recommendations!
I will look into them. Why do you prefer the switches on the surefire? Is it an ergonomic thing, a function thing, or both?
Also, how do they compare size wise, roughly similar, or is one significant larger than the other?

iFeelBad

I like the switchology better. You press on the Surefire for momentary then and flip the switch either up or down for constant on. The Streamlight you flip the switch down for momentary and up for constant on the left side. The controls are reversed on the right side.

I just like both sides being the same. I have never had a problem using the Streamlight switches shooting at night.

tmart556

Big Tex is also running a discount on their website and posted a coupon code on their instagram. It is a short time thing from what they said on the post but that may help with the budget a little.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
For training and inexpensive grab an inforce APL. I don’t think they're authorized in competition.
Any reason to pick the APL over the tlr-1 hl, considering they are about the same price? Also, competition is a consideration for the holster, not necessarily the light. I want to train and compete with the same rig if possible, helps keep costs down.

Chriscanbreach

Established
Really other than switchology no.
I’d argue the streamlight is a better overall light but is wider so form and function both come into play.
I actually carried an inforce on duty for 3 years with zero issue and loved its switches it can’t compare on lumens though. Lots of choices out there. What about Olight?

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
Really other than switchology no.
I’d argue the streamlight is a better overall light but is wider so form and function both come into play.
I actually carried an inforce on duty for 3 years with zero issue and loved its switches it can’t compare on lumens though. Lots of choices out there. What about Olight?
Don't know anything about Olight, or any other weaponlights for that matter. The only weaponlight I have ever used was a mini-maglite I taped to a Nerf gun when I was 10. Good times. :)

Wil

I have the Olight Valkarie PL2, Pro, and Mini. I have been using the PL2 for about a year on duty. I have had no issues, it's taken the beating of all of the house clearings I've done and the abuse I have heaped on them at the range.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
I have the Olight Valkarie PL2, Pro, and Mini. I have been using the PL2 for about a year on duty. I have had no issues, it's taken the beating of all of the house clearings I've done and the abuse I have heaped on them at the range.
How are the switches? And what is the battery life like? The reading I did last night send to indicate that the batteries don't last as long as its competitors.

Last edited:

Wake27

X300U is the gold standard and every now and then can be found for around $210, at least used. Surefire products are some of the few that I don’t mind buying used because I’ve always had good experiences with their CS. They’re also tough as hell. Streamlight’s TLRs aren’t as expensive, but the price difference isn’t huge (dollar wise, not necessarily percentage wise), so I prefer to just save a little longer and go with the Surefire. Personally, I wouldn’t pay attention to Olight. They seem to have a positive following and some good reviews on YouTube, but they just haven’t been around long enough for me. Plus they just look like cheap Chinese shit IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a hair over your limit but AR15safespace.com has Sure X300U A & B for $211 shipped may need to register and add to cart to see that price though

I’m in the market for a wml and saw them on there yesterday

Wil

How are the switches? And what is the battery life like? The reading I did last night send to indicate that the batteries don't last as long as its competitors.
I have had no issues with the switches, they are easy to reach and manipulate. I have changed the batteries once on the work pistol. I hand hold the mini in the morning when I take my dogs out, so I have to recharge it every other week or so...

Clay1

I know that this thread is a little older, but can someone tell me which X300U you prefer and why? The A or the B?

Wake27

I know that this thread is a little older, but can someone tell me which X300U you prefer and why? The A or the B?

A. Never had an issue with it coming loose (as long as the right plate is used) and more holsters are available for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLL2013

The big issue in my experience is the variance with A models. I have two X300-A’s that fit tight to every pistol I have. I have brand new X300U-A that wobbles on every Glock I own.

I prefer the B model for steel frame pistols. I think the B is a better mounting system overall, however it is not a good fit for polymer rails (IE almost every striker fired gun) because of the high likelihood of the user over-torquing it.

JLL2013

The big issue in my experience is the variance with A models. I have two X300-A’s that fit tight to every pistol I have. I have brand new X300U-A that wobbles on every Glock I own.

I prefer the B model for steel frame pistols. I think the B is a better mounting system overall, however it is not a good fit for polymer rails (IE almost every striker fired gun) because of the high likelihood of the user over-torquing it and applying pressure to the frame that can impede function of the firearm.