Pistol Matches in Central Virginia?

abro13

Hey yall, moving from Central Texas to Central Va and Im looking to continue shooting USPSA and steel challenge. Does anyone know of matches or ranges in the area?

Where in VA? I'm more south east. There are matches at VIR (Virginia International raceway at the NC border), and matches at the Roanoke rifle and Revolver club. Wrong direction for you though. Check out practiscore.com to search matches also.

DPaul

I've lived around RVA a couple of times and comps (let alone outdoor ranges) are few and far between. I'm not sure what's down by VB and Chesapeake or far out west, but it's slim pickings within an hour of the city. I've never lived there long enough to join one of the club ranges (which is pretty much your only option), but the only thing that intrigued me was the open matches at Quantico. Although I never made it to one, I saw a lot about them on VA Gun Trader (I think) and the VA shooting reddit page. I heard Cavalier in Montpelier is the best range/IDPA, but it's a year wait list for membership and I never actually went.

Side note: If you're thinking about going to the public game lands on a weekend to shoot a few rounds or zero, I would highly suggest you don't. Early weekday mornings is your best bet or you're putting your life in some sketchy peoples hands. I had a hankering to shoot one weekend and it was so sketchy I feel obligated to mention it.

Wil

Depending on where you are, Safeside in both Roanoke and Lynchburg hold frequent matches at their indoor ranges.

abro13

Sorry for the late reply, finally got settled in. I looked at PractiScore and didn’t find much other than VIR near me as I’m in Charlotte Co. Kinda disheartening moving from central Tx where a range is literally 10 minutes from my house.

abro13

Also, I don’t mind driving at all. I’ve met some great people from P&S and it would be a pleasure to meet and shoot with y’all.

Wake27

Also, I don’t mind driving at all. I’ve met some great people from P&S and it would be a pleasure to meet and shoot with y’all.

I come and go too often to really know for sure, but from all of the years I’ve spent here, VA really doesn’t have many ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wil

VA has a lack of public ranges because most of us can just step out to any number of privately owned areas to conduct our training. Personally I despise public ranges. I've dealt with way too many ego trip RSO's, former "green beret Nam vets" that weren't born until 1972, and militia wannabe's at most of our local public ranges.

Oh cool, if you are in Charlotte County VIR is a no brainer!

Even getting into NC might be feasible as they have a healthier competition circuit from what I've heard.

How far is Roanoke rifle/revolver club from you? They are a pretty casual and enjoyable group.

rvajma

There are regularly scheduled matches that are somewhat close, but not 10 minutes away for sure.

Cavalier Rod & Gun Club, Montpelier
Third Saturdays - USPSA 5 stages
Fourth Saturdays - IDPA 5 Stages
Sometimes Steel Challenge

Fredericksburg Rod & Gun Club
First Saturdays - USPSA 7-8 Stages
The USPSA VA State Championship will be there October 4-6

abro13

Oh cool, if you are in Charlotte County VIR is a no brainer!

Even getting into NC might be feasible as they have a healthier competition circuit from what I've heard.

How far is Roanoke rifle/revolver club from you? They are a pretty casual and enjoyable group.
Roanoke is about two hours away. And I plan on going to VIR when I have a Sunday off. Sadly everyone shots matched in Sundays instead of Saturdays

Kwachen

Roanoke is about two hours away. And I plan on going to VIR when I have a Sunday off. Sadly everyone shots matched in Sundays instead of Saturdays
It's a little bit of a drive, but it looks like Quantico is bringing back Saturday competition, per Practiscore. I hope this helps- the times I've competed there have been really welcoming and challenging.