Pistol Cans or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Suppressing All The (Pistol) Things

Josh

Amateur
Talk to me about the hotness in 9mm pistol cans.

Normal uses will be at the range and on the nightstand blaster.

Can I get a larger caliber pistol can and use it on smaller calibers ( get a .45 can and use it on a 9mm)?
If so – what are the pros and cons of doing such a thing.

kyler801

You can but it doesnt supress as well because now theres more room for gases to escape. I wouldnt suggest it. Got a modular supressor so you can switch your can between your guns. Also remember thatll require a different tax stamp which is more money as well.

JRLym

Buying a .45 can is the most popular option as it makes it so you pay less tax stamps in some cases. If you look at the Osprey 45 vs the Osprey 9 the advantage of the 9mm can is that it is almost an inch shorter, and 1-2 db's quieter. Thats not enough for you ear to really hear a difference but it is still quieter. the advantage of running the 45 on a 9mm is a reduced blowback which is what some people care about more. if you want to swap calibers on a 45 can you just remove the piston and change it to the correct thread pitch for the host, so it never hurts to have the versatility. if length is more an issue a dedicated 9mm can is nice, and there are also a lot of K versions that are even shorter but sacrifice sound reduction.Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 10.59.24 PM.png

Hern13

If you look into the Silencer Co Octane .45 you can get a 9mm end cap and it'll quiet 9mm down just as much as a purpose built can, with the added feature of having more caliber options. Thats the route I went.

CrazyDoc

Amateur
I have an Octane 9 HD 2. It's a sweet can that works like a champ. I've been shooting subsonic 124s or 147s. It's been great.

Eta : also works with subsonic 300blk and from what I hear if you accidentally put a super in it, it would be just fine but not recommended.