Physical Disablity/Injury & Shooting.

Put simply this will be a thread to discuss and collect information, training and tactics for shooting in the Military, Law Enforcement, Civilian, and Competition realms while affected by a Disability or Injury.

The hope of this thread is to have all of this information brought at the high standards of P&S as much of what little I have seen on the greater internet is of dubious quality.

As a person affected by Cerebral Palsy I wish to not merely increase and enhance my own abilities but to provide for others affected the same and I know there will be those among us that share the same thoughts.

Discuss.

Erick Gelhaus

Staff member
Louis Awerbuck, who passed away a couple years back, had done a lot of one-on-one with disabled shooters that were referred to him. I do not know how much he wrote down that was open source beyond one or two articles in SWAT. He has a couple, three books out but I can't recall if they addressed the subject; there are two books of his SWAT magazine columns and some info might be there.

You could check Paladin Press for his books. It might be worth contacting SWAT magazine for the article(s) on the subject.

I am a disabled vet that has to use a cane to walk and has issues with my left hand. I have taken classes with Gordan Beck, Adamax Tactical, Midwest Training Group and Steve Fisher and had good luck with them all. If you sign up for a class be up front about what you can and cannot do and you will get more out of the class. For example I can more lateraly well but foward and back movement is reason I have the nickname Wobbly William. It is isn't good or bad it just is. Just work with what you can and practice the hard stuff.

I would agree about looking up Mr. Awerbuck's work he has written a great deal about it. I believe SWAT magazine is re-publishing all his old articles every month.

Gentleman Thank You.

I will reach out and dig in. Life had sidetracked me from this thread and I hope to be able to flesh it out here soon.