PDP + WML Duty Holsters

WindyCity

Amateur
What are you running for a duty holster (safariland preferred) for a PDP with WML and red dot? The holster finder tool only seems to allow a TLR-7 and other compact lights.

Part # 7365RDS-48427-411

NorAZ17

I currently use a safariland 6935RDS; the p320 model will also accommodate a PDP with x300/TLR-1 and Holosun 509t.

Hope this helps.

kb377

I'm using a Dara holster (also used one for my previous duty carry P10C)...

172344975.mqFR0ujq.jpg

I'm using a Dara holster (also used one for my previous duty carry P10C)...

172344975.mqFR0ujq.jpg

I've yet to see one of those in the wild. Please provide more detail.

kb377

I've yet to see one of those in the wild. Please provide more detail.

Any specific questions or details I can address?

I've used Safariland duty holsters since I started my first agency in '93. My current agency is POW instead of providing issued handguns, but they provide uniforms/gear via clothing allowance and purchase orders through our local Gall's location (they also provide a $600 gun allowance per year).

When I switched to my P10C a couple years ago SF wasn't making an RDS/light compatible holster at the time, so I researched some alternatives and decided on the Dara. I never warmed up to the CZ/RDS combo and switched to the PDP last year. I can't remember if SF didn't have a holster available or if the issue was lead time, but I decided again to just go ahead and buy my own holster. I may eventually either order a US Duty on my own or an SF via clothing allowance through Gall's, as I prefer ALS retention over the spring-loaded hood of the Dara...but I've been happy with the performance of the Dara.

Any specific questions or details I can address?

I've used Safariland duty holsters since I started my first agency in '93. My current agency is POW instead of providing issued handguns, but they provide uniforms/gear via clothing allowance and purchase orders through our local Gall's location (they also provide a $600 gun allowance per year).

When I switched to my P10C a couple years ago SF wasn't making an RDS/light compatible holster at the time, so I researched some alternatives and decided on the Dara. I never warmed up to the CZ/RDS combo and switched to the PDP last year. I can't remember if SF didn't have a holster available or if the issue was lead time, but I decided again to just go ahead and buy my own holster. I may eventually either order a US Duty on my own or an SF via clothing allowance through Gall's, as I prefer ALS retention over the spring-loaded hood of the Dara...but I've been happy with the performance of the Dara.

My first question would be durability compared to Safariland. My second would be about the function of the retention mechanism as in how it works and how it compares to Safariland's options.

I also ventured down the P10C trail and bought non-SL holsters although I haven't actually carried mine on duty. As the holsters I bought are unproven, I consider them more "retention" than "duty".

I just picked up a 365 Carry (X Macro without the comp) and saw that Dara has a holster for it, and I am simply curious.

kb377

My first question would be durability compared to Safariland. My second would be about the function of the retention mechanism as in how it works and how it compares to Safariland's options.

Quality-wise, it seems on par with current SF stuff. As far as durabilty, I haven't tested it to failure obviously but between the two I've had I've got @ a year and a half on them with no issues.

The hood is spring-loaded compared to the manual hood of the SLS. Once the hood is released, retention is provided via friction fit adjusted by the tension screws. Aesthetically, I prefer the wrap-around body of the SF's as opposed to the "wing" on the Dara where the tension screws are located.

The belt loop on the Dara is much more comfortable for me than the SF...the UBL digs into my waist/hip. The Dara loop does have the tendency to slide on the belt occasionally...which I solved by using a short screw secured through the rear of my belt and into the Dara loop to keep it in position. It wasn't as much an issue once the belt was on...it was more when trying to put the belt on the holster would slide (when I'm getting dressed at home, I remove the gun/mags/etc. when donning my belt...when having to ditch the belt at the PD or a public restroom it's not usually an option. Weighted with the gun is when the holster would sometimes slide to the rear of the belt and cause a PITA). Zero issues once I used the screw.

dara1.jpg
dara2.jpg

Erick Gelhaus

Staff member
would love to see a review of them, if you get a chance
Here's an article i wrote on them last year. Handled the new designs at SHOT but no extensive time with them.

WindyCity

Amateur
Here's an article i wrote on them last year. Handled the new designs at SHOT but no extensive time with them.
I just ordered a level 3 duty holster from US duty gear. A coworker recommended them and they were the cheapest option for a PDP + RDS + TLR-1. The factory Safariland holsters are only made for compact lights (TLR-7) and the customized options (RDR) were much more expensive. I’ll update when I have some hands on experience with it.

Redcat

I carry a 5 inch compact pdp in a DARA level II. Using a 509T and a TLR 1 HL on the Walther. However, I mounted my DARA quick release plate to a Safariland leg shroud with a drop flex adapter. It required drilling a couple of holes in the leg shroud. I find the polymer drop flex adapter and leg shroud is the most comfortable option for sitting in a car, as I am not large of stature and rigs that don't bend to stay in line with my thigh will stick straight down into the seat and press against me uncomfortably.

The DARA is, well... fine. It is a very fast draw. Much faster than a Safariland Level III. You need to keep a close eye on the tension screws on the side of the holster, because if they happen to work loose and fall out, your holster is now effectively split open along the side and someone could wrench it open by grabbing the grip of your gun and twisting outwards. Or the gun can be moved around enough to do things like hit the mag release unintentionally.

It is definitely not as safe against gun grabs as an ALS/SLS level III Safariland. It might be about as safe as an ALS only. It is safer than an SLS only, since the hood release button is sort of tucked down and inside on the back of the holster. So merely pushing down on the hood will not disengage it like an SLS would.

I got my hands on an Aliengear Rapid Duty holster and decided the Aliengear is more secure and durable than the DARA, although not as sleek, and has about the same draw speed. Unfortunately, they are not yet available for the pdp. I talked to a rep and he had nothing concrete to tell me, but thought they would be releasing their duty holster for the pdp at some point.