Pat Mac's Combat Strength Training Book

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
I won't be able to attend his class any time soon, but his e-book was released. Quick read, but here is my review:

http://bluelinesheepdog.blogspot.com/2015/06/book-review-combat-strength-training.html

Book Review: Combat Strength Training

E-Book Review

Combat Strength Training by Pat McNamara

This was released on 5/30/15, in a electronic format. It’s a short quick read. The information is mostly ideology/theory, based on McNamara’s personal experience from his 22 year US Army career.

In the book CST, McNamara breaks down his approach to strength training of the “combat chassis” and recognizes that most MIL/LE guys who carry 60 pounds of “lightweight” gear have had injuries in their career. McNamara looks at what parts of fitness are important to him. McNamara gives some examples of a real world application of a movement he trains – Back Squat = carrying a loved one or heavy pack.

The book does not include a suggested routine so to say, but explains what ways McNamara trains on a weekly basis and what movements he does on those goal focused days. A specific breakdown of what he does is not there. That is up to the reader to decide on their needs.

The book doesn’t include a nutrition guide, as McNamara points out he is not a nutritionist, but he has found that eating a certain way has helped and he learned to pay attention to his body. That diet mysteriously looks like the common “Paleo” or “Caveman” style diet of fresh meat, veggies and fruit.

Overall a short easy read, but best read by someone who has a background in trying Crossfit or Gym Jones style of training. Is it a must read? Not for everyone, but you will get something out of it, especially if you are a MIL/LEO or concerned/prepared citizen who wants to be strong for the fight.

For the book refer to combatstrengthtraining.com

Lobsterclaw207

Yup and I thought it was good value for the $13 or whatever I paid for it. I'd like to see a part 2, longer and more in depth. I'd also like to see some sample routines, since it's sometimes easier for me to just follow the script and do a prescribed workout than come up with my own.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
The videos supplement written word for me. His wall ball sit-ups are an Ass Kicker of all sorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonOfLiberty

Amateur
I was really hoping for some sample routines as well, until that happens (if) I'll just keep doing my thing and incorporate what he teaches since it makes sense to my dino-peanut brain.

leozinho

Yup and I thought it was good value for the $13 or whatever I paid for it. I'd like to see a part 2, longer and more in depth. I'd also like to see some sample routines, since it's sometimes easier for me to just follow the script and do a prescribed workout than come up with my own.

I highly recommend Tactical Barbell by K. Black.

It's a simple waved periodization plan to get you stronger. He has multiple templates that vary between lifting 2, 3, or 4 times a week. Plenty of time built in for skill/cardio.

You'll know exactly how much to lift, and when.

Lobsterclaw207

I highly recommend Tactical Barbell by K. Black.

It's a simple waved periodization plan to get you stronger. He has multiple templates that vary between lifting 2, 3, or 4 times a week. Plenty of time built in for skill/cardio.

You'll know exactly how much to lift, and when.

Thanks, dogg! I'll check it out.

leozinho

Thanks, dogg! I'll check it out.

I'm like you. I need clear instructions and a clear plan, designed by someone that knows what he's doing.

To give a litte more info -

Tactical Barbell is a percentage-based, high frequency lifting program that revolves around wave-based periodization. It's one of those you were test yourself to find your one-rep max, and then lift a percentage of that lift. That percentage varies from week to week (the periodazation.)

You never go to failure on a lift, which leaves you fresh to do your anaerobic/cardio work or skill work (if you practice BJJ or MT, for example.) As I mentioned, you can pick from templates that have you lifting 2,3 or 4 times a week.

(For what it's worth, K. Black is a pseudonym for a LEO on a 'federal hostage rescue team'. Pretty sure he's Canadian.)