P99C AS compared to VP9SK

HighTower

I understand that they are similar concepts, but I'd like to get one or the other in the near future.

Academic thoughts or considerations please.

iFeelBad

I don't know if I would put them in the category as being similar concepts aside from size and having paddle style magazine releases.

The Walther is a double/single action striker fired pistol and is intended to be carried decocked in double action as far as I am aware. I am also not too sure of how fond I am of the decocker being on top of the slide either, have only handled p99 clones in stores, but to me it seems like it would be easier to accidentally activate than one on the frame.

The VP9 has a traditional striker fired pull and it meant to be carried "cocked" all of the time. I greatly prefer having a trigger that is consistent so that do not have to devote more training time to mastering the transition from DA to SA. I cannot speak for the trigger feel on the p99, but the VP9 is pretty good.

I guess what it really comes down to is do you want da/sa or not? I suppose you could carry a p99 is SA, but if you were going to do that, why even buy a gun that is da/sa in the first place?

Of the two, I would greatly prefer the VP9sk. If the Walther ergos work better for you, the PPQ is offered in a sub compact model as well.

Western

Amateur
IFeelBad laid out the differences between the DA/SA P99 and striker VP9 pretty well, so I'll just speak to my own VP9 experiences.

I just got a VP9 and it has probably the nicest trigger I've felt on a stock striker-fired gun. The trigger shoe sits flush with the trigger when it is pulled, so it doesn't dig into your finger like on a stock Glock. It also has pretty much 0 mush, again unlike M&P/Glock triggers I've handled.

HighTower

Right now I think im going to get a VP9SK as my concealed, and then get a VP9 later as a BOB gun. The SK takes both magazines so makes logistics easy in the future.

Western

Amateur
What body type are you? I'm a pretty skinny guy and I can actually conceal the normal VP9 very well carrying appendix. I can even conceal my Beretta 92 reasonably well, it's just very heavy to carry around all day and the barrel is a bit too long to be comfortable while sitting down. Anyways, if you can carry appendix, get a good holster/belt combo and it will make a Glock 19/VP9 size gun surprisingly concealable.

I don't doubt that the VP9SK is going to be generally easier to carry around all day, but it's definitely possible to just save some money and go with the regular VP9 for AIWB carry.

Western

Amateur
My guess is you'll be able to AIWB carry a normal VP9 without too much trouble. Don't get me wrong, the VP9SK will still definitely be more concealable, but the normal VP9 prints very little on me. I'm willing to accept the lower concealability of the VP9 in exchange for the fact that the VP9 is better than the SK in pretty much every other way.

HighTower

I'm willing to accept the lower concealability of the VP9 in exchange for the fact that the VP9 is better than the SK in pretty much every other way.

Well I am confident I am not trained to the standard in which the superiority of VP9 over the SK will matter in that situation. The greater concealability is the key in this consideration for me...

If I had to be a "monkey in a suit" I would likely go VP9 or bigger being that id have a sports coat/Blazer to "conceal" for me.

Western

Amateur
If you want max concealability then just go for the VP9SK, it's definitely better at it.

For me the standard VP9 has "good enough" concealment. If we're talking VP9SK with the 10 rounder vs VP9 with the 15 rounder, I shoot the normal VP9 noticeably better and I'm certainly no world-class shooter. Full size grip vs. pinky half off the frame makes a difference for me. I also prefer the reload on the standard VP9, but chances are you won't have to reload in most self defense situations.

Whatever way you decide to go, the VP9 is a great system and I think you'll be pretty happy with either.