P320 slide milling question

New member here, I’ve searched the forum but haven’t really found anything that answers my question.

I’ve finally saved the money to have my slide milled and mount a red dot on my carry pistol. Originally the plan was to go with the RMR on a P320c. While looking at options for optics I started looking at the DPP. It’s intriguing because I’m currently on active duty and will eventually be issued an M17, possibly will be fielded to my unit within the next 6 months. I know that is milled for the DPP with use of their integrated rear sight. I was wondering if anyone knew of anyplace that is currently milling slides to mimic the rear of the M17? Not looking to buy a M17 and I’m still fine going the RMR route but I thought it was an interesting possibility to be able to use my personal optic on my issued firearm.

I’ve seen seen vendors that will mill out the space for just the optic but I was looking for someplace that mills it out the rear sight dovetail as well. Mostly because I would use the rear sight notch that attaches to the optic. Everything that I have seen shows the rear sight being part of the plate that is removed to mount an optic on the M17. And yes I could purchase a different rear sight for my personal weapon and use the integrated rear sight for my issue weapon but the purpose of this is to try and mimic personal and duty as much as possible. 50C34192-CE4F-471E-B8ED-F606BCB853C6.jpeg

Attachments

• 78456F9B-843A-4F5A-84E2-E08BF9327F73.jpeg
    78456F9B-843A-4F5A-84E2-E08BF9327F73.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I understand. You'll need to reach out to one of the companies I linked to by email rather than using their order form, and it might cost you a little extra. But just because something isn't listed on the front page doesn't mean you can't get exactly what you want in this industry...

CK837

Amateur
I agree with @rudukai13. I think your best bet is to just call someone up and find out. I would call ATEi. I'm expecting my first RMR pistol slide anytime from ATEi. They actually list the P320 as an option on their site, but I called them up before ordering to make sure what I wanted to do was something they offer. All my research says ATEi is the place to go. Just be aware, the fullsize P320's are a little bit different than most other work because they have relief cuts inside the slide. ATEi sends those slides out to get welded closed and thus takes longer. Quality work is worth the wait though.

Yondering

I’ve seen seen vendors that will mill out the space for just the optic but I was looking for someplace that mills it out the rear sight dovetail as well. Mostly because I would use the rear sight notch that attaches to the optic. Everything that I have seen shows the rear sight being part of the plate that is removed to mount an optic on the M17. And yes I could purchase a different rear sight for my personal weapon and use the integrated rear sight for my issue weapon but the purpose of this is to try and mimic personal and duty as much as possible.

I get where you're heading with trying to mimic your duty weapon, but from my own personal experience, a slide mounted rear sight is the better option. The DPP rear sight is a nice setup, but on several different installations I've seen trouble with the rear sight coming loose; it's just not as solid as a dovetail in a slide.

Also, I really don't think it should matter functionally if your rear sight is mounted to the slide or the optic, or even what it looks like. It's there as training wheels and a backup system, and once you become proficient you won't notice anything more than the sight outline while shooting.