P320 N00b - There are questions

MLC

I dig the idea of being able to swap grip frames, but I'm a little confused about some stuff I've read on the interwebs. For instance:

What are the dimensional differences between the standard frame and X series? I realize the spot on the sides to grab the mag are gone, but are there other differences? Wider, narrower, front to back distance, etc?

Is the X-Carry series just shorter than the X-series? By how much? It seems analogous to the G-19 vs G-17 in terms of grip length, but does anyone know the numbers or know where I can find them? I checked Sig's site and didn't find them. If you did, I'll gladly eat crow.

I saw that the mags with "Sig Sauer" on the baseplate won't work in an X series. Why?

Thank you for any information or general pointing in the right direction.

marcusa

I dig the idea of being able to swap grip frames, but I'm a little confused about some stuff I've read on the interwebs. For instance:

What are the dimensional differences between the standard frame and X series? I realize the spot on the sides to grab the mag are gone, but are there other differences? Wider, narrower, front to back distance, etc?

Is the X-Carry series just shorter than the X-series? By how much? It seems analogous to the G-19 vs G-17 in terms of grip length, but does anyone know the numbers or know where I can find them? I checked Sig's site and didn't find them. If you did, I'll gladly eat crow.

I saw that the mags with "Sig Sauer" on the baseplate won't work in an X series. Why?

Thank you for any information or general pointing in the right direction.

RE Frame Dimensions - the XCarry frame has a different geometry than the standard frame and comes in additional sizes (S, M, L). The XCarry frame also has some additional features such as an extended beavertail and undercut tigger guard. Between the two, the XCarry module is a little narrower, only comes in 17-rd size, and has a higher/tighter grip than the standard module. The XCompact grip module has the features of the XCarry module in a 15-rd size, but has a shorter light rail which will not accept a standard (TLR, X300) WML. Nice thing about the P320 is if you don't like a module you can swap it out. They generally run about $50.

XCarry grip module is the same size as the X-Series (17-rd). The XCarry has a shorter barrel/slide (4" vs. full size). It would be analogous to the Glock 19X (Glock 19 slide with Glock 17 frame) or FN 509 (4" barrel with full size 17rd frame).

RE Mags - it has to do with the baseplate not fitting in the grip module. Most "modern" P320s out there have the SIG logo magazine that will work in either.

MLC

If I'm reading this correctly, the X-Carry comes in S, M and L grip width, but only comes in the 17 round mag compatible height. Between the equivalent size between the X-Carry and standard grip module, the X-Carry will be thinner, have the beavertail and undercut trigger guard.

Noted on the mags. I recently picked up a used P320 and it's got one mag of each kind, so if I switched over w/out buying mags I'd be in a bad way.

Thanks for the great info!!

Stanislao

SIG is constantly tweaking the platform, so random difficulties can show up. But generally they keep everything compatible.

The x-series of grips are more rectangular in profile and slightly thinner. The feel in the palm is different, and some people find the original style of grip easier to conceal. The x-series grips can be fitted with tungsten weights should you want, though these are sold separately. The X-compact fits fifteen rounds in a flush mag instead of seventeen as you find on the full and carry, but larger magazines do lock in. The rail section is shorter than on the carry or full, but I have been able to fit a Streamlight TLR-1 without difficulty. Holster makers do not express confidence regarding the interchangeability of X and standard grips, but I've not found anyone who has encountered the issue personally.

The magazine bodies are compatible with every grip long enough to fit them. The floor plates are no longer an issue, at least with my X-compact. This appears to be due to the flared magazine well of the X-compact accommodating the ears of the SIG-marked floor plate I purchased in March. Should you have any issues with the floor plates, you can simply cut the ears off like van Gogh and you'll be fine.

Welcome to the endless moneypit of SIG P320! There isn't a damn thing wrong with your gun, but you'll be amazed by how much you spend making it better.