P320 discharging while holstered

WUtah

Everytime anyone tries to bring this up for discussion, it's immediately dismissed as user error. This seems to mirror the same response when people first reported 320's discharging when dropped. Here's a small collection of video, couple photos, and a user story of P320's discharging while holstered. There are several other stories and lawsuits out there, but a couple of these videos support the repeated story of randomly discharging in holsters. Interested to hear others thoughts on this.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Alright let me start off with the disclaimer that I don’t know if the gun (assuming we’re referring to pistols that have undergone the really-should-have-been-a-recall trigger mechanism upgrade) is prone to discharging on its own or not. Unfortunately I think off the bat pretty much every case that’s just anecdotal “I swear it just went off” should be discounted from the start - not because the individuals making those claims can’t be trusted, but simply because those claims come down to he said/she said anecdotal evidence.

Then there are the few examples where the event was recorded on video, like this recent one from the Montville officer. It’s difficult to tell from the video, but it looks like one of the other officers bumps the pistol right before it fires, which was likely the “triggering” event. Now obviously any modern handgun should be perfectly capable of being bumped, slapped, scraped, dropped, etc while in a proper, unobstructed holster without risking the pistol firing. In cases like the one from Montville, the emphasis is going to be on the “proper, unobstructed holster” part of that statement. I remember at least a couple P320 lawsuits that got thrown out after it was determined the officer/owner of the pistol was carrying it in a holster made for a P226 (or other non-P320 pistol), which sharp-minded readers will recognize as not intended for a P320. I think this case will come down to what was the condition of the holster the gun was in, how well maintained was the pistol, was something else in the gun broken that caused it to “fail dangerous” leaving it prone to discharging when bumped.

Let me repeat: I don’t know one way or another. It does seem like a lot of the support for these claims coming from people online/in the gun community is most vociferously pushed by individuals who champion another manufacturer’s competing product, and a lot of people seem to forget how many of these kinds of “unsafe at any speed” stories happened about Glocks when they first started to become popular. That said, if there’s a problem with the guns it’s a big problem, and it needs to be figured out either way

pointblank4445

Established

niquorice

Pretty bold using those pics for your argument when it really looks like it could be a TQ mounted on the front of that holster and calling it a retention hood with this level of image quality.
You can go to the montville PD FB page and see they have level 3 holsters with 11-10 Ridgid TQ cases

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

tylerw02

3a8e409b73c3dfb59d1244dcf2c628a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk