Optimal muzzle device for suppressor use

Dylabeatus

This is not a question of compatibility.

What muzzle device types (ie brake, FH, comp, etc) have been shown to provide the best results in suppressors for audible volume and reliability (both for the weapon and the can)? Is there an assumed trade off? Is this question situationally dependent?

agelewei

Following. The append to the OP question, what difference would a muzzle device that consumes less of the volume of the initial chamber on a can have as compared to a larger muzzle device?

Grayman

Established
I can't really speak to the volume question but I'd imagine that's going to dependent on the design of the can and attachment system.

What I can say is that certain muzzle devices can reduce wear on the blast baffle. For example I had a can on a 10.3" 5.56 gun with a flash hider and the blast baffle was showing wear consistent with the exit pattern of the hider. I switched to a brake and there has been no additional visible wear to the blast baffle. You can see the wear on the end of the brake but not the can. As far as noise difference I didn't notice one...

shoobe01

Established
My YHM came with a chart in the manual. It handles more powerful cartridges with the brake than without (has a direct thead endcap also). I never understood why, but Grayman's example sounds plausible.

SuthDet

Muzzle brakes help with wear because they disperse the flame and particles before they reach the baffle. If you look, you'll likely see wear on the inside of the break.

For most suppressors, the mount type does not make a difference to suppression. Where you see a difference is when you are using one of the modular mount type suppressors. These modular mounts greatly change the length and volume of the first chamber. For example, the dead air nomad is over 1" longer with keymo compared to direct thread.

That said, these are pretty broad statements. If a suppressor was designed, very intently, around a certain mount, there could be a greater difference between mounts. But in general, if the muzzle is in the same position the suppression will be the same, and brakes will absorb some wear over flash hinders and bare muzzles.

I'm not sure what your reliability question is targeted at, so not sure how to address it.

Vinsynd

Amateur
Dylabeatus,
I think your question is asking “which muzzle device will increase the functional life of the blast chamber baffle”.

From my experience and conversations with others with experience a muzzle brake will reduce some visible blast chamber erosion compared to using a flash hider or direct threading. Having said that, muzzle device type makes no functional difference. A user will go through many barrels before shooting out a suppressor core when staying within the shooting schedule it was designed to withstand.

For Example:
If one takes a titanium suppressor and does a 100mag dump in 3min, using a muzzle brake over a flash hider will not save the suppressor. Similarly if hunting deer with a titanium can, the use of a muzzle brake is not going to matter as the suppressor will already outlive anyone alive today already.

The second question (and Agelewei’s question) about audible volume may be impossible to adequately answer. Sound performance is dependent on many factors, blast chamber volume, baffle spacing, number of baffles, baffle shape, internal volume, and even cartridge. Larger blast chambers in some cases are associated with more first round pop, closer spaced baffles tend to work better with lower pressure cartridges, but higher pressure cartridges tend to like fewer more spaced baffles. Many manufacturers offer two models of the “same suppressor” one in direct thread and one with a muzzle device mount. The only issue is they are not actually the same suppressor. The mount version may have less baffles or a purposely longer blast chamber to accommodate the mount. It’s never an apple to apple comparison for sound performance between mount options as the actual blast chamber volumes (minus mount space) and number baffles are not controlled. Again this ends up being to a degree cartridge specific as to which will sound best.

When picking a suppressor mount it may be helpful to consider the choice based on function:

Is the suppressor going to present on the rifle at all times? Direct Thread

When using the rifle without a suppressor do I want more flash reduction? Flash Hider

When using the rifle without a suppressor do I want less recoil or muzzle movement? Muzzle Brake

As for Shoobe01’s note on the YHM, this is also the case for a few other suppressors. The DeadAir Wolfman will take higher pressure cartridges when specifically mounted with a KeyMod brake vs direct thread as well. I don’t have a Wolfman on hand yet to test why this is- does it have to do with mount strength, blast chamber weld strength, or baffle core strength? I would caution on using this as means to say a muzzle brake is protective of the baffle core. It could just as easily mean in these particular cans using the brake mount reduces the chances of launching the suppressor off the rifle vs direct thread (or blowing a weld).

Hope this helps. Suppressors are a very deep and addicting rabbit hole.

usually for shorter barrels having a muzzle brake be better to reduce wear on the suppresor being on the shorter rifle but for carbine length guns doesnt matter..i like flash hiders so thats what i use