Optics for 5.56 sbr/pistols

Mike_IA

I get all of the recommendations but some really ran down the rabbit hole...

For a general purpose rifle with leanings towards precision outside of 100yds I think an LPVO fits the bill. If money is no object the Khales or Razor are great options. If you aren't sure or just want to dip your toes into the LPVO market go with the P4Xi.

To cover the Night vision usage do yourself a favor and go with a 1.93" or 2.04" height mount and buy a quality MFAL. This setup will do everything you could ask it to and more.

I agree with all but the P4Xi, steiner’s quality has slipped recently. The Vortex Viper PST Gen2 is same cost, has more magnification, has rebounded from early teething problems well, and frankly their customer service is faster and easier to deal with.

Farmboy20

Hey guys I’v been doing lots of research and and have played with some optics my friends let me borrow and I’ve narrowed it down to a lpvo or aimpoint, my eyes for whatever reason just refuse to like a EOTech far as seening the donut of death but they let a aimpoint dot be crisp and clear. I’ve played with a Trijicon 1-4 accupower and I really like it. I also looked though a vortex razor gen ll. E and at gun store and loved it. Anyone have experience with the vortex razor?

Wake27

Hey guys I’v been doing lots of research and and have played with some optics my friends let me borrow and I’ve narrowed it down to a lpvo or aimpoint, my eyes for whatever reason just refuse to like a EOTech far as seening the donut of death but they let a aimpoint dot be crisp and clear. I’ve played with a Trijicon 1-4 accupower and I really like it. I also looked though a vortex razor gen ll. E and at gun store and loved it. Anyone have experience with the vortex razor?

Not in dark or low light but I’ve had mine for almost a year now and love it. It’s a fantastic optic and I think it pairs well with a G 1.93 mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake_Disty

Amateur
I am running the Steiner P4Xi on my BCM 11.5" Upper. So far I am liking the optic, the illumination can be adjusted to daytime bright. So far I've reached out to about 250 - 260 yards with it. I feel much better about this than my MRO that I ran on it for about a year.

jwr_patriot

Amateur
Here’s a question in the same vein as all the above conversation:
It seems that most people prefer a dedicated lvpo to a red dot/magnifier combo. Anyone have experience with both and can explain?
It seems to me that with my acss reticle red dot, I’d rather go with a magnifier for it than switch over to a lvpo like the px4i for about the same magnification.
Thoughts?

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
The window size alone makes it worth while. The magnifier’s ocular lens is very small. I tried both before deciding to go with an LPVO.

Chipw

Here’s a question in the same vein as all the above conversation:
It seems that most people prefer a dedicated lvpo to a red dot/magnifier combo. Anyone have experience with both and can explain?
It seems to me that with my acss reticle red dot, I’d rather go with a magnifier for it than switch over to a lvpo like the px4i for about the same magnification.
Thoughts?
I prefer a dot and magnifier. Most of my shooting is up close and with a lot of movement drills. About 50% of it is in the dark with NODS. I usually will run the gun with the magnifier completely off the gun but its nice to have for the longer shots and then flip to the side up close. At night i run a skeetir thermal in front of the red dot and leave the magnifier in my kit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

anubismp

I've run both and prefer the LVPO to the dot+mag. The dot and mag would work for me but I couldnt find one that would rotate and rest on the upper. I therefore had a largely unneeded magnifier hanging at around a 45 angle off my rifle. Not a huge issue but I prefer it be one piece. Also for the price of a quality mag and dot you can have a pretty nice LVPO and mount.

hile

Amateur
My LPVOs are 1-6s, either a Razor HD II-E or a Kahles K16i. I use the 1-6 on my 11.5 AR pistol just as easily as on my Kiwi clone LMT or my 14.5 Geissele upper.