Optics for 5.56 sbr/pistols

Farmboy20

What are some good optics to put on SBRs or ar pistols with barrels between 10.5-13”? Lpvos, red dots w/ magnifiers, optics that will allow u to reach out to 250 yards And don’t weigh a ton. I’m wanting to build an ar pistol and want to see what people who are lot smarter then me, are using on these shorter guns.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
250 with a red dot is very doable. 1-4x LPVOs will make it easier. 1-6x LPVOs add a little more.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Eotech XPS/EXPS
Aimpoint Micro T/H series
Aimpoint Pro

Steiner P4xi
Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6
Vortex Raxor HD Gen 2 E 1-6

All good options for what you’d like to do.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Knowing it’s use would be helpful. As in shooting ground hogs might be different than self defense which might be different than B/C steel etc. Also how well do you see? A person with 20/20 can do a whole lot more with an RDS that someone who’s vision is deteriorating at distance. Might help narrow this down.

Farmboy20

I’m 20 year old with pretty good eyes and this ar pistol is my coyote gun/ general purpose gun. That my thought behind 90% of my guns. I want to be able to grab that ar pistol/ rifle and shoot a coyote at 250 yards or that guy down the hall with a gun in his hand coming to do me,my family harm and also i can take this gun and shoot with my buddies on the weekend. Basically grab that 5.56 gun and do anything inside of 250. I hope that makes sense.

Gypsy EDC

I run lpvos (1-8 or 2.4-10) on my dedicated coyote guns, but I still run an eotech exps 3-2 with a g33 on my primary HD weapon (mk18) it does alot especially in the 0-100 yrd range and can still get it done even farther out than that.

user12358

Second focal plane LPVO on a 12.5 unless it is a dedicated night-fighting gun in which case it gets an EoTech on a riser.

Kahles K16i or Vortex Razor 1-6 for LPVOs because of the superior 1x capability compared to the contemporary FFP alternatives. With a 5.56 gun you won't have a problem with the SFP reticle because if you are shooting 200 and beyond it will already be at 6x and inside that you aren't having to think much for most shots with a 200 yard zero.

EoTech for the night-fighting gun because, in my opinion, it is by far the best option for shooting passively through head mounted NODs and is still capable out to 250 yards and even further with a magnifier during the day.

Farmboy20

This rifle is going to be used at night with NODs and i was planing on using ir laser for my night sight to run around in the dark to shoot coyotes that keep making calves disappear and from all the info I’m seeing from you guys it’s going be a lpvo or EOTech with magnifier for the day sight.

Chipw

This rifle is going to be used at night with NODs and i was planing on using ir laser for my night sight to run around in the dark to shoot coyotes that keep making calves disappear and from all the info I’m seeing from you guys it’s going be a lpvo or EOTech with magnifier for the day sight.
If money isnt an issue i would go with an aimpoint T1, magnifier, skeetIR thermal clip on, full power peq15. The skeetir and magnifier are both clip ons so you would only have one mounted at a time. The skeetir would give you enhanced target detection and a little more precision aiming then your peq.
Aimpoint just because of battery life.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wake27

If money isnt an issue i would go with an aimpoint T1, magnifier, skeetIR thermal clip on, full power peq15. The skeetir and magnifier are both clip ons so you would only have one mounted at a time. The skeetir would give you enhanced target detection and a little more precision aiming then your peq.

Have you actually used that setup? A magnified T1 is completely unusable and complete garbage IME, especially for a $6-700 optic. And if it’s not his number one go to long gun, battery life really isn’t all that important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike_IA

T1s are only good as budget line. They give up too much in terms or clarity and glass quality to T2s or CompM5s.

As said previously if NODs use is most of the use then EOTech and supplement with a magnifier.

For general purpose day use with occasional night use- 1-6x SFP LVPO. Save some money and get a Razor, Kahles, or Swaro the extra glass quality will payoff in dusk use and a big of playing passive NODs use.

Dpvaz56

I have a P4xi on my 10.3” SBR and I absolutely love it. It may move to a 12.5” upper once I get one and will be replaced with a T1 if that happens (I haven’t decided yet)

Chipw

Have you actually used that setup? A magnified T1 is completely unusable and complete garbage IME, especially for a $6-700 optic. And if it’s not his number one go to long gun, battery life really isn’t all that important.

Yes. I usually dont use the magnifier but its handy when i need magnification during the day. He said he's mostly using this with nods at night. The IR laser is his primary aiming device but the skeetir will give him a more precise aiming point. This setup works good for my primary AR, day or night. Here it is below minus the skeetir

90323a7247cf8843b008f3ffb8c240e4.jpg

Chipw

Yes. I usually dont use the magnifier but its handy when i need magnification during the day. He said he's mostly using this with nods at night. The IR laser is his primary aiming device but the skeetir will give him a more precise aiming point. This setup works good for my primary AR, day or night. Here it is below minus the skeetir

90323a7247cf8843b008f3ffb8c240e4.jpg
But if its not his go to rifle but more a dedicated yote blaster, i recommend a dedicated magnified optic like an trijicon IR Hunter.
451133ea928a8b28f751f823f65718ea.jpg

Grayman

Established
I get all of the recommendations but some really ran down the rabbit hole...

For a general purpose rifle with leanings towards precision outside of 100yds I think an LPVO fits the bill. If money is no object the Khales or Razor are great options. If you aren't sure or just want to dip your toes into the LPVO market go with the P4Xi.

To cover the Night vision usage do yourself a favor and go with a 1.93" or 2.04" height mount and buy a quality MFAL. This setup will do everything you could ask it to and more.