Ops Core AMP/ACH comms solution

Vlad792

Hello

For about 2 years now I've been looking for a method of having helmet mounted ear protection on my ACH. I've been fortunate enough to have been in conventional side Army units where we were allowed to wear Ops-Core Fast MTs in any config we wanted. But after PCSing to a less understanding unit, I was not allowed to wear personally bought equipment.

Finally after seeing the RAC headset I had hope and then saw the modularity of the AMP and pulled the trigger on a purchase. I got the NFMI compatible version due to working inside of a loud Bradley for hours. For whatever reason I cannot comfortably wear Sordins or Comtac IIIs under an ACH, having tried multiple liners and padding setups and behind the neck Peltors I still havent found a optimal solution. Utilizing the AMP and its helmet mounting system positioned on the rear of my ACH helped solve all my issues and got me as close to an Ops-core Fast MT as I could. The headset audio quality from my experience is excellent compared to Comtacs even with NFMI ear plugs

Total price paid was 1300$ for headset, helmet mount kit, NFMI ear plugs, and 1 Downlead cable.

I haven't seen any reviews for this product or anyone with a solution to converting the ACH into as close of a version of a Fast MT as possible. So I wanted to share my data and config to hopefully solve some issues or at least provide options.

Attachments

• 20190221_223537.jpg
    20190221_223537.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 348
  • 15508101556152790601104136268247.jpg
    15508101556152790601104136268247.jpg
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 392
  • 15508102669087910599613309839457.jpg
    15508102669087910599613309839457.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 321
  • 15508103533072337043740123660688.jpg
    15508103533072337043740123660688.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 302
Those personal NODs? If not what conventional mech unit are you in that gives you duals, and how do you get duals but no Ops Core?

Vlad792

Oh yeah personal NODS for sure. Tried to convince a company commander to give Squad leaders PVS-14s coupled on a bridge but that didnt fly too well. Guess everyone is on the PSQ-20B craze.

Vlad792

Those personal NODs? If not what conventional mech unit are you in that gives you duals, and how do you get duals but no Ops Core?
For the NODS, no one in my unit cares since at night time they cant really see too well with their 14s to see what's on my face but also they dont mind because you are now a significant dismounted asset.

Wake27

Oh yeah personal NODS for sure. Tried to convince a company commander to give Squad leaders PVS-14s coupled on a bridge but that didnt fly too well. Guess everyone is on the PSQ-20B craze.

I doubt they have enough to support that. Nice setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the NODS, no one in my unit cares since at night time they cant really see too well with their 14s to see what's on my face but also they dont mind because you are now a significant dismounted asset.

I am glad to see that someone else does use their own NODs at work. Do you even sign out your 14s or just leave them at the arms room?

Vlad792

I am glad to see that someone else does use their own NODs at work. Do you even sign out your 14s or just leave them at the arms room?

I just leave my 14s in the Arms Room, makes it easier for accountability but on certain training events I bring them just to say I have them. Some individuals may have a significantly emotional event if they see soldiers buying their own quality equipment for work. So the low profile route and sometimes the best for the end game.

Ridgedaddy

I just leave my 14s in the Arms Room, makes it easier for accountability but on certain training events I bring them just to say I have them. Some individuals may have a significantly emotional event if they see soldiers buying their own quality equipment for work. So the low profile route and sometimes the best for the end game.
I know those feels. It’s sad when leadership fails to recognize that what they issue isn’t worth a damn. Nice setup with the comms. I went highcut Soley for that reason. I don’t do ear plugs and a headset under an ACH is just terrible.

Do you run your AMPs in dual downlead configuration? The issue I have with the AMP is that running dual PTTs pushes audio from both radios through both the L and R channels simultaneously--so it's extremely confusing. Is there a fix to this?

truck91

I have been looking on and off at these for a few months now and was wondering if you (or anyone else with hands on time) had seen if these would be compatible with the Unity Mark kits. It would make mounting to helmets like the Airframe and MTEK way easier if so.

patriot_man

I have been looking on and off at these for a few months now and was wondering if you (or anyone else with hands on time) had seen if these would be compatible with the Unity Mark kits. It would make mounting to helmets like the Airframe and MTEK way easier if so.

Negative on the Mark but I've seen people convert the arms to M-LOK for the MTEK

Update to my earlier inquiry: contacted Gentex and they said they currently do not have a solution to the dual download issue. Radio and PTT push monoaudio into the headset, and the AMP (infuriatingly, in my opinion) does not have a way to isolate that to a single ear.

So you're going to get both radios in both ears, unless you're running an Invisio V60 PTT (with at least 3x proprietary, $200 cables for a total of $800) or a similarly priced offering from Ops-Core.

This is unacceptable, and I cannot recommend this headset to anyone running comms until the issue is fixed.

F1098

Ok that is a great setup for an ACH.

I’m running Comtac III under my ACH, is there any way to fit those AMP mounts to the Comtacs?

F1098

Hello

For about 2 years now I've been looking for a method of having helmet mounted ear protection on my ACH. I've been fortunate enough to have been in conventional side Army units where we were allowed to wear Ops-Core Fast MTs in any config we wanted. But after PCSing to a less understanding unit, I was not allowed to wear personally bought equipment.

Finally after seeing the RAC headset I had hope and then saw the modularity of the AMP and pulled the trigger on a purchase. I got the NFMI compatible version due to working inside of a loud Bradley for hours. For whatever reason I cannot comfortably wear Sordins or Comtac IIIs under an ACH, having tried multiple liners and padding setups and behind the neck Peltors I still havent found a optimal solution. Utilizing the AMP and its helmet mounting system positioned on the rear of my ACH helped solve all my issues and got me as close to an Ops-core Fast MT as I could. The headset audio quality from my experience is excellent compared to Comtacs even with NFMI ear plugs

Total price paid was 1300$ for headset, helmet mount kit, NFMI ear plugs, and 1 Downlead cable.

I haven't seen any reviews for this product or anyone with a solution to converting the ACH into as close of a version of a Fast MT as possible. So I wanted to share my data and config to hopefully solve some issues or at least provide options.

can you give us an update on how well this is working? Are you getting a full seal on your ears? It looks like the earcups might be a little low.