Open top pistol mag pouch for patrol cop duty belt.

Steve H.

I apologize if this has been discussed previously, but I could not find any posts dealing with this topic.

I have been carrying 22-round Glock 22 magazines at work as a patrol officer for a while, but I have been carrying them in a safariland pouch designed for standard sized magazines. This setup works ok, but I am interested in something similar to the midlength esstac kywi pistol mag pouches that are a little taller and more secure. The only issue with the kywis is that whatever pouch I end up using must be either matte leather or kydex/polymer in appearance, so the canvas material of the kywis would be a no-go.

An open top and projectile-forward orientation are essential. Does anyone here have experience with any pouches that fit these requirements?

Steve H.

Esstac only makes in Basket Weave atm.

My contribution: something I found a long time ago, but know nothing about; just that it exists.

https://www.meangeneleather.com/shop/mgl-burro-pistol-magazine-pouch/

Good luck and fill the rest of us in on your decision; I have a leather belt to build myself.

From a google search it looks like esstac has made kywis in matte leather (not basketweave) in the past, but I don't see the option anywhere on their site.
file.png

The mean gene pouches look like they would be shorter than what I'm looking for, but I appreciate the effort.

Arete

Didn’t know about the lack of a mid length, but message them and ask if they’ll do it for you.
They are local to me. Stu, Ryan, and the guys are good people and will usually try to help if you ask.
They also have some good stuff in development that I can’t talk about but I have been T&Eing for the past few weeks . . .

weaver1032

I'm curious on the "why" here. Have you lost a mag from the standard pouches or had retention issues? I've been carrying Magpul 21 rounders for close to or over 3 years in an open top Safariland slimline pouch and have never had an issue. Maybe try adjusting the retention screws to avoid a sloppy hold on the mags.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
I question the carry of stick mags on a duty belt in the first place honestly. How do you sit down in a vehicle with those in any useful place on the belt?

Steve H.

I'm curious on the "why" here. Have you lost a mag from the standard pouches or had retention issues? I've been carrying Magpul 21 rounders for close to or over 3 years in an open top Safariland slimline pouch and have never had an issue. Maybe try adjusting the retention screws to avoid a sloppy hold on the mags.

I have soft velcro on the inside of the pouches to add friction, so I haven't had issues with my mags falling out yet. The retention screw on my mag pouch does absolutely nothing to help retain the mags, as I tighten it it just deforms the leather on the back side of the pouch. I primarily want taller pouches for a little extra security that they won't fall out if I'm rolling with a suspect and to sorta disguise the fact that I'm carrying extended mags.

Steve H.

I question the carry of stick mags on a duty belt in the first place honestly. How do you sit down in a vehicle with those in any useful place on the belt?

This isn't a great picture, but I'm not in uniform at the moment so I just did a screen grab from a dry fire video. You can see the mags behind my taser on my left side.
Screenshot_20201125-163958_Video Player.jpg
I haven't had any issue sitting in my patrol car with this setup.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
This isn't a great picture, but I'm not in uniform at the moment so I just did a screen grab from a dry fire video. You can see the mags behind my taser on my left side.
View attachment 7103
I haven't had any issue sitting in my patrol car with this setup.
What mag pouch are you using now to get them to sit that low?

Steve H.

Update:

I emailed Esstac to ask about the leather pouches and Stu got back to me right away. He said that they haven't gotten all of their pouches uploaded on their website yet, but in the mean time I could just buy a black pouch and request that it be smooth leather in the order notes.

I just got the pouch in the mail today and I have to say that I am very happy with the quality. I'll have to test it out at work to get a feel for how it rides on the belt and how the fake leather holds up to abuse, but so far I am impressed with Esstac and their customer service.