Onsight Firearms Training, Defensive Pistol

Scott D

I took a nice defensive pistol class in lovely Culpepper Virginia taught by Ben Dewalt of Onsight Firearms Training. I arrived early and ben was already setting up targets in preparation of the class showing he was very organized. The class started promptly at 8:30 with a safety briefing and a very comprehensive medical briefing. The class had about 11 students so there was plenty of personal attention.

There was a mix of students and abilities but the best shooter by far was a lovely lady "B" who clearly could out shoot everyone. The was a mix of firearms and half the class used optics. The main thrust of this class was accuracy matters. We started on B 8 targets at 25 yards, no pressure there, to see the real problems. We did this at a variety of distances and you were accountable for every shot. Shooting with both hands was stressed and the same level of accuracy was requested with your non dominate hand.

After lunch, it became a little more defense oriented but accuracy was still required. A shot outside the small 4 inch circle on a head shot is still a miss even if you hit the head. It was stressed that you shouldn't miss because every miss is a potential dead bystander. At the end of class there was a shoot off going out to 25 yards. Most of the class was in it to the end. Over all we shot over 500 rounds for a long and very hot day.

Ben was very informative and helpful. I can safely say that all shooters improved over the course of the day. He had a very helpful AI, "Doc" who was equally knowledgeable.
Ben also has a very good you tube video about your first class and it was extremely worthwhile.

In preparing for the class you need to read the equipment list. Equipment lists are not suggestions but requirements. Also, may sure your firearm and optic are working before the class so you don't lose valuable training time. Don't forget comfort items such as chairs and sunscreen. When the weather is 95 degrees water is essential. Do not expect anyone to supply these essentials. If you are careful enough to carry a firearm, you can bring water.

Overall, this was an excellent class and well worth the time and expense. If you have a chance to train with Ben , you should take that opportunity.