On Body IFAKs - SFD Responder

R. Schoening

Amateur
This is piece from a 5 part series I wrote up covering "On Body" IFAKs, it is summarized from my blog which includes pics and vids...if you are into that, jump over to the the blog located at www.lhgk.us.

Here is a recap of sorts covering the series...
  • IFAK: Individual First Aid Kit.
  • IFAK: Can also mean "Improved" and / or "Improvised".
  • On Body: On Your Body...With You, RIGHT NOW.
  • Off Body: Not On Your Body...NOT With You, RIGHT NOW.
  • Part I: Medical Gloves...never leave home without 'em!
  • Part II: Med Gloves and ABD pads...light, easy to carry.
  • Part III: The use of an AR Mag Pouch as an IFAK holder.
  • Part IV: The BFG Micro Trauma Kit NOW.

The WHOLE POINT in writing this series was to share some insight into how to carry an IFAK with you, on your person, all the time. Some of these entries have been super simple, with others a little more complex. This is the last entry into the series and it covers my favorite non-war belt or armor mounted IFAK I've used; the Safer Faster Defense "Responder".

The SFD "Responder" is an ankle med kit that allows the user to pack a small handful of selected med items into it's compact, easy carrying, comfy platform. Due to it's size, and adjust-ability, this thing can be worn with just about anything you can throw at it "long pants" wise to include military uniforms (depending on how they are bloused) and suit pants (depending on the cut and contents). I've worn the Responder in just about every environment I can throw at it; as an instructor, in
classes (to include ECQC), in competitions (with lots of running), and while on warrants supporting those "boys in blue"...it's slick! Read on if you would like to know more!

Personal Needs / Desires:
  • Easy onto and off of the body...if it isn't with you when you need it, it's worthless!
  • Easy to deploy from...I don't want to fight to get things out of it!
  • Flexibility as far as what I can stuff into it...IFAK wise.

Details:
  • Of course it's "tactical"...it's made with elastic, nylon, and velcro.
  • Velcro is set up so that it doesn't chew on your leg.
  • Nylon is sewn into the bottom of the elastic sleeves so that the elastic won't abrade.
  • Comes in several colors to include multicam, black, green and tan.
  • Worn on the ankle / lower leg and secures / adjusts via velcro.
  • The length allows it to be worn over boots or on a bare leg...I usually wear it over the sock.
  • Has three elastic "sleeves" that not only allow you to stuff a variety of objects into them, but also allows the kit to stretch around your lower leg.
  • Did I mention the sleeves provide flexibility as far as contents go...think spandex.
  • Shockingly, it's amphibious (ambidextrous) and can be worn on either leg..I'm a right handed dude, but I wear it on my wrong handed leg.
  • Size - I'm not much on measuring things so I'll tell you this, it fits over my leg and I can wrap it around the top of my knee...meaning it is adjustable. It also gets small enough that it'll securely wrap around the leg of my 11 year old.

Here is what I have stuffed in mine:
  • 1 - North American Rescue's Emergency Trauma Dressing (ETD) 4 inch Flat Bandage.
  • 1 - North American Rescue's HyFin Vent Compact Chest Seal, 2 pack.
  • 1 - North American Rescue's CAT.
  • 1 - 5X9 Combine ABD Pad by Dukal.
  • 2 - Medical Gloves...AKA...a pair.

Overall Thoughts:
  • I've been wearing this one since January, sometimes wearing it and another one...because #Merica! Nothing negative to report.
  • Super comfy...if I don't put it on tooo tight, I forget it's there!
  • Can / Have worn it with a variety of those things that are the opposite of "Short Pants".
  • Lightweight, compact, low profile...will disappear under a suit coat.
  • Dig that it holds the "must haves" of first aid kit...BSI, Massive Bleeding, Minor Bleeding, Seals.
  • Can be thrown into a backpack, range bag or thrown to someone with ease!
  • I've only had one thing come sliding out of the sleeves once, that was the sleeve that contained the chest seals and ABD Pad...those things are slick and I didn't push them back in after running an EVO at ECQC. If you check the contents after a physical "event" you should be good to go!

Not really a Negative...more of a consideration:
  • If you put it on too tight, you will want to loosen it...EASY fix!
  • There can be a delay in shipment as these aren't mass produced from my understanding.
  • Again, check the contents after a physical event...something you should do any ways to confirm all of your sensitive items are still accounted for. Think that's overrated...it isn't.

On Body IFAK #5: SFD Responder
  • Kit: Safer Faster Defense (SFD) Responder.
  • Built by Frog.Pro for Safer Faster Defense.
  • Attachment: Around your ankle via velcro.
  • Why: BSI (Gloves), Bleeding (NAR's CAT and Flat ETD), Seals (NAR's Hyfin Chest Seals).
  • On Body Carry: Easy on and off via velcro...Lightweight, Compact, Low Profile.
  • Positives: Easy on / off, light, low profile, amphibious, adjustable to your needs!
  • Negatives: See above, no real Negatives.
  • Considerations: Build one that works with your education and skill set.
  • Purchase: Safer Faster Defense's website.

Won't sugar coat it, this is the slickest on the body "kit" I've used...simple, easy, adjustable, low profile, light and it wears just about any way you can slice it...HEADS UP...you'll look goofy as F#CK if you where it in shorts! Do it!

Stay Safe, Strap It On, Do Work, Help Others...RESPOND!

V/r - Rob