NRA Defensive Pistol

CHAOS16

Course- NRA Defensive Pistol

Primary Instructor- Charles Clark

Location- Dubuque Izaak Walton Club
Peosta, Iowa

Weather- One of the first nice days in Iowa this year. Light rain in the morning but the rain subsided by the time we occupied the range.

Student Body- Two students, including myself

Course Description:
Course goal: To develop the knowledge, sills, and attitude to carry and use a concealed pistol ethically, responsibly, and with confidence.
The course is objective based and generally takes 7 to 8 hours to complete.
Cost: $100
Equipment requirements:
1. Pistol – 38 or 9mm or larger caliber in good working condition.
2. At least 200 rounds of quality ammunition.
3. If you are using a semi-automatic you will need three (3) magazines. If you are using a revolver you will need at least 3 speed loaders for the revolver.
4. Quality strong side hip holster made of kydex or leather that retains its shape without the pistol and allows for one-handed reholstering. Blackhawk Serpa style holsters are not permitted in this class.
5. Stiff, well-constructed belt that fully supports the holstered firearm.
6. Eye and Ear protection.
7. Baseball Cap.
8. Garment that fully conceals the holstered firearm

------------End Course Description--------------------------

My background / skill level:
I am an intermediate level rifle and pistol shooter. I shoot USPSA, IDPA, and some multi-gun competition. My background is in military combat engineering and overseas contracting (training).

Equipment for Class-

S&W M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm
APEX internals, Ameriglo I-Dot sights
Kydex AIWB holster with soft loops

Round Count- ~150 rounds 9mm 124 gr reloads

Personal Training objectives:
I actually wanted to attend this course because my wife was working and I have never taken an NRA course. I wanted to see what kind of techniques they are instructing and check out the instructor for possible future instruction to my wife on conceal carry. I am also considering getting NRA training certification and I wanted to recon the capabilities of the instructor. The cost was inexpensive enough and my time was free so I rolled the dice and attended.
The thing that won me over the most was that the instructor allowed me to take the course with an AIWB holster. I was surprised, as I was not expecting him to authorize that.

What Happened?:

Basic timeline as follows:
We met just before 0800 and made our introductions. I was surprised that there were only two students and thought that maybe there just wasn’t much interest but the instructor actually informed us that he only slated for two students in this course as an SOP. The other student was a female that had only recently started carrying. She had brought a 9mm LCP with a shitty uncle mike’s IWB holster. The instructor loaned her an M&P Shield with an OWB holster to use instead.

Discussed tenants of firearm safety and carry for defensive purposes.
Conducted crawl phase step by step of draw and dry firing. Charles demonstrated and then had us execute on command the following steps:
  1. Access
  2. Grip
  3. Pull
  4. Rotate
  5. Join
  6. Extend
  7. Fire
  8. Scan / Assess
  9. Safety (Not applicable to us as both students had striker fired firearms with no safeties).
  10. Chest
  11. Reholster
Discussed most likely threat encounters that would require employment of the firearm, OODA loop and then began live fire at three yards on the NRA torso target (I don’t have label on me). We then practiced draw and firing a three round string at three yards in under three seconds (this was the standard put out by the instructor). Accuracy standard was the target or ring inside as applicable. I am an intermediate shooter and at three yards I was making a large hole in the very center of the target at this point. He told me for defensive purposes based on my accuracy I needed to start pushing speed as I had the accuracy component above the standard at that point.
Thus far I was in mostly full agreement on the doctrine he was stating until we went into getting off the “X” by executing a sidestep before drawing. He stated there is historical data and test data (using simunitions) that this technique interrupts the aggressors OODA loop. I disagree with this, but he wasn’t forceful or overly definitive in stating this so I felt no need to argue or repudiate his claim. He introduced us to the Tueller Drill as part of the demonstration in the sidestep, and time standard part of discussion.
To conduct the Tueller drill we started with one person facing the target at three yards and the other back a little and next to them with one hand on their shoulder and a rock in their other hand. We didn’t do the drill from the holster, just low ready. As soon as the person started running and their hand left the shoulder the shooter fired two shots into the target. On the first shot the runner dropped the rock and stopped on the second shot. It was good to see how much ground can be covered by a motivated attacker and the realistic expectation of how fast you need to access your firearm and fire shots into CNS targets (preferably head to stop a charging aggressor). I did take away that I need to practice a specific drill from concealment more- the FAST test. Note for myself- buy 8x14 paper and print targets at work or just us my bullseyes and 3x5 cards.
We broke for lunch, and Charles issued me my NRA Guide – Basics of Personal Protection Outside of the Home.
Charles issued us some snap caps and we randomly introduced them into the other students’ magazines. He instructed us on immediate action via tap, rack, re-assess. He instructed us to conduct our reloads with the muzzle pointing generally forward and down, because of muzzle safety. I still do a cant and rotation within my workspace just as I do during competition or on a military range. Not exaggerated but probably a 15-25 degree cant to the left and 20-30 degree rotation of the mag well up to speed up my reloads. So we disagree on that point, as I would venture to say that if you’re conducting a speed / emergency reload that there is a VERY small likelihood of having an innocent in that direction and negligently discharging into them during said reload.
We completed the remainder of the course firing different strings on command from the holster at the same target from three, five, seven, and ten yards. We did keep doing the sidestep prior to every string of firing.
We did a qualification with the standard being able to demonstrate what we learned with the accuracy standard being the target I presume, and no real time standard.

Discussion of key issues:
I discussed most of the key issues in the timeline of events, but for a baseline of firearm knowledge I didn’t see any glaring issues or drills that would create training scars.

Improves:

We were completed by 1450. I was motivated enough I think we could have gone over more drills, or added a timer element for each shooter to gauge some basic capabilities from 1500-1600 with little additional preparation by the instructor.

Overall Critique:

The course was better overall than I anticipated. I really enjoy the fact that I could run the course from AIWB and it makes me hopeful that this technique of carry will become more accepted in shooting sports (cough cough IDPA) and other defensive / carry training.
The course was obviously below my level of marksmanship and carry experience, but that did not prevent me from getting some good nuggets of knowledge, things to think about, and self-improvement items.
The instructor put such a huge emphasis on safety, and was so unbelievably level headed and patient, that I have to give him props and I would highly recommend this course to new and/or novice conceal carry permit holders.