Non-Covert rifle cases

MrMurphy

Who's got a line on rifle cases actually worth a shit?

Been searching for a "work" rifle case.

Needs to fit a 16" carbine with a 30 round PMag inserted, so 40-42" long.

Price is a consideration, if it's the $150+ range I'll just get a SneakyBag for dual use.

Does not have to be covert, black, nylon and rectangular is just fine. I just can't seem to find one that takes a SINGLE rifle with the above specs. SBRs, sniper rifles, sure....but not just One Basic AR "with" mag inserted.

Duty use in a police vehicle for reference. I could probably get away with FDE, but black/dark blue or OD green at the wildest by preference.

I already have a LaRue Covert case, I specifically need one for an assembled rifle.

Matt117

Amateur
http://www.sert.us/store/36"_Tactical_Rifle_Carbine_Case
I recently picked up a SERT carbine case to use instead of my pelican for travel to and from the range. I haven't had a chance to put it through any hard use yet, but from what i can tell in my limited experience is that it is well made and will hold a carbine with a mag inserted. Reviews that i read prior to the purchase were positive and the price was right when compared to similar products by firstspear.

I recently purchased two First Spear cases (black and coyote) that look almost identical to the SERT case that Matt has pointed out. While I like the First Spear case so far, and the quality is excellent, it doesn't appear to have any advantage for practical use over that SERT case. In fact, the SERT case may have some advantage with the full PALS grid both in the main compartment and in the front pocket.

Somewhere along the line I picked up a few of the Granite Gear tactical Voile straps:
http://www.gearcoop.com/granite-tactical-gear-voile-straps-with-molle-retainer-system.html
I am going to try these out as a means to attach the rifle to the 6/12 PALS grid in my case. They are large enough to secure around my buffer tube and BCM KMR rail.

One nice thing about these cases is that they fill out a Pelican case nicely, which makes it a bit easier to make use of a single pelican for multiple rifles.

WayneF

I have a SERT TCCC that I have been using for a few years now. Very well built case. I am a fan of the hook and loop in the front compartment which allows me to mount various velcro backed 10 Speeds or holsters depending on what I need to lug around. It is also large enough that I can cram a second rifle or shotgun in the bag as well.

MrMurphy

I'd looked at the SERT, was trying to go for a "single" rifle case, i.e absolutely no excess bulk. But if one doesn't exist, that's an option.