Nightforce NX8

evanrocks

Mine is arriving Tuesday, will be shooting next weekend with it. Steve Fisher and some others had early samples.

pointblank4445

Established
Oooh...the new 3GR reticle. I wrestled with going G4B or waiting for 3GR. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the dual-red dot feature and how it plays at closer ranges.

The Kahles eyebox is awesome, and it's no secret that the NX8 is a little less forgiving due to its dimensions.

evanrocks

I've shot once with it and only began to get a feel for it. For dry practice I'm liking it. I'll get to an indoor range this week and use it more from 5-25 yards. I'll also try to get some time on the NX8 and post up about it. I'll be limited to smaller target transitions, something like Frank Proctor's Eye of the Tiger drill.

jschulz

I just got mine in last week but I haven't had a chance to hit the range yet, hopefully this weekend. Dryfire practice has been nice. Cranked up to 8x it is not nearly as forgiving in the eyebox but if I crank it up that far, I won't be running and gunning with it.

Ben H

I just got mine in last week but I haven't had a chance to hit the range yet, hopefully this weekend. Dryfire practice has been nice. Cranked up to 8x it is not nearly as forgiving in the eyebox but if I crank it up that far, I won't be running and gunning with it.
that's how pretty much any scope / optical instrument with a zoom will function. Its the 1x that needs to be forgiving for quick acquisition or abnormal rifle positions. I'm going to run with the assumption (until proven otherwise) that it will hold up with normal wear and tear. How does the dot fare outdoors / in bright sunlight? Anyone have a lens clarity comparison to other scopes at distance? ... or any other function for that matter ....

evanrocks

that's how pretty much any scope / optical instrument with a zoom will function. Its the 1x that needs to be forgiving for quick acquisition or abnormal rifle positions. I'm going to run with the assumption (until proven otherwise) that it will hold up with normal wear and tear. How does the dot fare outdoors / in bright sunlight? Anyone have a lens clarity comparison to other scopes at distance? ... or any other function for that matter ....

The NX8 dot is freaking bright. I'm not a glass guru or a glass snob, but it's very clear at distance. The Atacr should be even more so. I'd like to get some pictures (from my phone only, sorry) of the NX8 on 8 power.

jschulz

I only have a phone for taking pics so not sure how quality they would be. And oh yeah, I fully understand why there is a difference between 1x and 8x, just saying it is very noticeable, why I said I wouldn't be taking quick snap shots on 8x anyway. As to your brightness question, there are 10 different settings and on the brightest it is more than bright enough outside in bright 75* April sun. All of my other NF glass has been damn near indestructible so I'm hopeful that the NX8 will hold up.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
I still havent been able to get the optic on a non-static range to really give it a good shake out. I should be at Bragg in a few weeks and can give it a more thorough run through up there. The more I use it I can tell more of a difference between it and the Razor HD. It took a while because I dont perceive the differences as that large between the two, but the eyebox is more sensitive and the NX8 doesn't quite have the same field of view that made the tube on the Razor disappear during use. Neither of these have proven to be enough of an issue to merit the 10 extra ounces and less magnification of the Razor, yet. I will update this thread as I continue to evaluate the optic.

Rick

Unobtanium

I still havent been able to get the optic on a non-static range to really give it a good shake out. I should be at Bragg in a few weeks and can give it a more thorough run through up there. The more I use it I can tell more of a difference between it and the Razor HD. It took a while because I dont perceive the differences as that large between the two, but the eyebox is more sensitive and the NX8 doesn't quite have the same field of view that made the tube on the Razor disappear during use. Neither of these have proven to be enough of an issue to merit the 10 extra ounces and less magnification of the Razor, yet. I will update this thread as I continue to evaluate the optic.

Rick
It's a 4.5oz difference...same opinion still?

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
I haven't gotten my hands on the E model yet. If I do I'll update as necessary.

Rick

patriot_man

I think a lot of people were expecting Razor HD II type performance from the NX8.

The closest I've come to the Razor or Kahles level of performance, glass, and the low profile body is the Swarovski 1-8x Z8i. However that being said the 1-8x 30mm scopes are all finicky and sensitive in terms of eye box and the Swarovski is no exception.

evanrocks

I like the Kahles (similar to a Razor) over the NX8 for most 5.56 stuff and up close. The NX8 works well and is nice, but it will live on a14.5" .308 most of the time or an SBR that doesn't have its own dedicated LPVO.

Any updates on the nx8? I’m considering it for a 14.5 inch carbine mainly because of weight. I’m a lie concerned about 1x performance from what I’ve read on the inter webs.

I have had the NX8 mil reticle for the past 3 months. Previously, my LVPO was the Vortex Razor Gen II HD 1-6X and I acquired the NX8 precisely because of weight. The NX8 resides on a LWRC DI 16 inch upper, with a POF lower.

My thoughts:
PROS-WEIGHT & SIZE: Yes, it is noticeably lighter and shorter in length than the Vortex. However, to capitalize on the weight reduction, you have to invest in a light mount or else it will still feel heavy. My first mount for the NX8 was a Larue 1.93 in (https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-spr-m4-1-93-mount-qd-lt135/). Although a good mount, the QD lever interfered with my charging handle.. The NX8 has a smaller eye relief than the Razor HD and so you have to mount it further back. If you get the Larue, don't choose the QD option and go for the VFZ option (no lever). I ended up using the Larue to mount my Razor HD and it was fine because of the longer eye relief. The scope mount that my NX8 lives on is a Geissele super precision scope mount 1.93 inch. The mount is light, rock solid, and does not interfere with the charging handle. I thought of lighter mounts (i.e. Aero) but read of some durability issues. I also chose 1.93 inch because my previous 1.5 inch scope mount (Bobro engineering) had me bend my neck too much. The 1.93 inch feels much more natural with less neck strain.

PROS-OPTIC QUALITY: The first focal plane is awesome and the red dot is truly daylight bright at the medium setting. I am not a optic expert but I think the 1X feels true to 1X. If there is a difference then it is very very slight and not practically discernible. I also prefer the NX8 reticle over the Vortex HD reticle. It just seems less busy without the vertical line from 12 to center.

PROS-EASE of ADJUSTMENT: the 1-8X moves smoothly and easily with the included lever. As you all know, the Razor HD ring is stiff as heck even with an aftermarket lever.

CONS-EYE RELIEF. The shorter eye relief is only a problem in regards to the scope mount as above. Otherwise, it is not an issue during usage. I did not have any problems acquiring the reticle dot in two carbine classes.

CONS-RED DOT SIZE WITH HIGHER MAGNIFICATION: since this is a FFP scope, the red dot enlarges accordingly with higher magnification. It does obscure the target if you are aiming for something very small. If you are aiming for just center mass, however, then it is not an issue.

CONS-OPTIC RING & EYEPIECE: Like the Vortex, you can focus the eyepiece to your needs and lock it with the optic ring. On my scope, the lockage kept coming loose during firing and I have had to readjust it. I have never had to re-tighten the eyepiece on my Vortex HD. I emailed Nightforce and they said to wear gloves and really crank it down. I applied some Pipe thread sealant tape and tightened it again. So far so good.

USAGE: I have used the NX8 in two carbine classes so far and it has been wonderful in both. The first class was a low light carbine class and it was crystal clear and bright with my Scout M600 1500 lumen weapon light. Yardage was 100 yards and in. The second course was Aaron Barruga's Guerrilla Approach Functional Marksmanship Movement (FMM) Carbine class (50 yards and in). This was a movement intensive class with the carbine with rapid sprints, prone to standing, and target transitions. We ran a lot. There were some drills where the losing team would have to run five 100 yard sprints with their rifles. This all added up. On day one I used the NX8 but switched to my MRO on day 2. I switched not because of the NX8 performance but for two other reasons: 1) we did so much running with the rifle that I honestly got tired. 2) I wanted to see how a red dot MRO would do with all the running and we had a night portion. Since I used the NX8 on the last low light class, I wanted to see how my MRO performed at night with a weapon light. I have to admit that running around with the MRO was so much easier than with the NX8 (as light as the NX8 is, I cannot imagine running around with the Vortex HD). My performance was the same with the NX8 and the MRO in terms of accuracy and speed of sight acquisition. The solution I know is to be more fit and stronger. I am relatively fit (7.5 minute mile, 14 pull ups and 40 push ups in good form, and 4 minute plank, etc) but there is room for improvement.

I consider myself an amateur in regards to LVPO and carbine shooting in general. However, I hope that you gain some insights into my experience.