New Trijicon SRO pistol optic; RMR footprint, top-loading battery, full-circle lens

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
30D23C45-6884-429B-B18B-857C9883615A.jpeg

8 brightness settings, 2 of which are NVG-compatible. Auto-adjustable brightness settings available. 1 MOA, 2.5 MOA, and 5 MOA dot sizes.

Personally, the top-loading battery compartment is a huge plus that has been a long time coming. I see this being a lot more popular with competition shooters for the improved FOV that the larger lens will allow for. The video makes it seem quite large for concealed carry use, though the comparison graphic would make it seem the true dimensions aren’t much bigger than the original RMR. Will have to see if those slightly larger dimensions fit inside current holsters meant for RDS-equipped pistols (Safariland, for example). Will be interesting to see how the circular housing compares in toughness to the RMR’s owl ear design. Only time will tell, I suppose - or Aaron Cowan.

I will say, if this is supposed to be Trijicon’s answer to the ACRO, it doesn’t match many of the benefits of the Aimpoint optic - an enclosed emitter namely

Valk

I think we'll see a ton of these in USPSA Carry Optics for the same reason we're currently seeing a ton of DeltaPoint Pros. It's got a huge window that makes finding the dot easy, and the smaller dot settings plus Trijicon's better reliability track record should push people in that direction (I recall hearing at least one person say "4 is 1" with regards to the DPPs).

For duty/CCW use, I think the ACRO will still prove superior for most users. The Aimpoint has a shorter battery life and a larger dot, but makes up for it with a closed emitter and a mount design that avoids many of the current pitfalls with RMR mounting, especially on modular plate systems like the Glock MOS, where vertical thread depth is at a premium. Additionally, the enlarged forward housing makes me think this will not be compatible with the 6354DO (possibly the new RDS holsters as well) or slides with a sight dovetail milled in front of the optic.

I'm sure we'll see a lot more thorough comparisons very soon, but for now I'm going to continue planning to throw my lot in with the ACRO.

JLL2013

Call me a pessimist. Outside of competition, I see no advantage to the SRO. Top loading or not does not matter to me.

Agreed. The SRO will be the easy choice for those shooting carry optics division. The RMR is going to remain the choice of those carrying the gun "on the streets."

David Mayeur

Gotta think about that holster game too. Safariland makes or breaks my duty carry options

The ACRO on an MOS gun fits in current Safariland RDS holsters. The dust cover on the Level 3 RDS holsters would not close originally, but it since been redesigned.

The allure to the DPP is still that it can be had at around $350 new.

dopro587

For people who are not already familiar with an RMR and want to get into RDS on pistols, this will be a good seller for Trijicon.

If the top load battery design stands up to duty conditions, I hope they incorporate that feature into a "Type 3" RMR.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I think that the between the RMR, the SRO, and the ACRO, the biggest loser is the DeltaPoint pro. I can see pros and cons and niches for all of them to exist in except the DPP. Does it still have a place?

As David said, the DPP is still a slightly less expensive option. For those with a higher budget, the Leupold has no advantage over any of the other three dots now

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Additional pictures and description have hit the web;

F78E628A-9B01-4720-898D-E62ADE5251D2.jpeg

958E68B8-CD57-4A77-BA3D-60E5AA554073.jpeg

2C500C46-5795-4BE4-8BFE-9E480187224C.jpeg

The Trijicon SRO (Specialized Reflex Optic) is specifically designed for pistol use. Improve shooting accuracy and speed with the wide circular field of view and clean, crisp dot making it easy for users to find and track while shooting. Every SRO has 8 brightness settings with “Lock-In” and “Lock-Out” modes and a 3-year battery life. The SRO similar to the Trijicon RMR easily mounts to popular red-dot-ready pistols, is compatible with most RMR mounts, and does not require a sealing plate. There is no need to dismount the optic for battery changes with a quick-change top loading battery. The SRO is designed to survive the rigors of slide ride pistols and is engineered for hard use. This 1.0 MOA Adjustable LED red dot is best suited for use on a rifle or target pistol application or in applications where increased accuracy at distance is needed

JLL2013

Even with the ACRO being out?

I was just talking Trijicon offerings.

The ACRO has a lot going for it; I have a slide out to be cut for one now and haven't even ordered the optic yet.
For me, the variety of reticle sizes for the RMR is a big benefit. I'm a huge fan of the RM09 (1MOA dot) so I'd like to see an ACRO with a 1 or 2 MOA dot. The 3.x size dot is a compromise between those who like a larger dot and those who like a smaller one; I think having the ability to please both markets there is good to have.

jevanb1

I had a few minutes at lunch today and took a few pics from the internet and youtube screenshot to put them together for a size compare. I do not have DPP on there or the Holosun that has been getting some love as of late. Feel free to take this and add to it if you find it helpful.
optic_size_compare.png

0uTkAsT

Amateur
I like it. I do wish they came up with something enclosed to directly compete with the ACRO. My one real gripe about the RMR is how it accumulates lint and sweat inside the window and over the emitter when carried IWB daily. And my one complaint about the ACRO is the small size of the viewing window in relation to the overall size of the optic due to the thickness of the housing.

Someday we'll have our cake and be able to eat it too, but I think we still have a way to go.

Earl An

Amateur
While I don't want to be one of those people who comments on a product I haven't used yet, I did think of this when looking at the SRO. A while back I noticed how the lower portion of the RMR's window is blocked by the back of the optic body. I never thought about why until I recalled that the RMR was never originally intended for use on handguns. It was to be used on rifle, supplementing optics like the ACOG for example. So when held 3-4 inches from your eye, the bottom of the window is visible. Not so when held at arms length. Looking at the SRO, I noticed that the window is raised up. So not only is the actual window taller, it's less obstructed as well. Neat. I made a (totally not to scale) graphic to illustrate my point. Not saying one is superior to the other, just an observation.

View attachment 4187