New short-action: Recomendations?

earthquake

Amateur
It's time for a new build! I currently shoot a Defiance Rebel short action on my Creed. I've wanted a Bighorn TL2 for a long time and am pretty set on one, but there are some new actions out there which pique my interest. For anyone that's used them, what are your thoughts on these others I'm considering?

1. Bighorn TL2
2. GAP Tempest
3. ARC Mausingfield
4. Surgeon 591A
5. Defiance Deviant (I have the older style Rebel)

Things I like about the Bighorn are the floating style bolt head, the beefy-ness of it, and it speaks to my Colorado roots. I admire AJ's work and reputation. The new GAP interests me due to the 60-degree throw, and of course GAP's reputation. I fondled one at SHOT earlier this year. The Maus is pricey, and I'm not sold on the design yet. Surgeon is tried 'n true and 10% off currently. But, maybe I'll just rock another Defiance?

Thanks for the assistance!

After a quick google pic search I'm curious about the Bighorn action. Locking lugs and extractor are interesting. Out of the 5 you listed, I have experience with 3, my choices in order would be:
1. GAP Tempest
2. Defiance Deviant
3. Surgeon 591A

I could also add the Templar V2 to the mix. But the 3 lug, once piece bolt and 60 degree throw puts the Tempest on top.

I would also add Stiller TAC30 and Silencer Tech PR7 actions to the list as well, most likely tied for my number 1 with a coin flip to choose... based on my experience.

I can't resonablly discuss the Mausingfield or Bighorn.

Shadow2

Amateur
The GAP Tempest is the one Ive been wanting to try. No smith's I know of have gotten ahold of them yet.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
I have a fair amount of time on the Mausingfield.

Despite the 2 lug design, which means a longer bolt throw, I would hazard to say its one of the best actions on the market. All of the actions mentioned, are essentially 700 derivates. Even the Tempest being 3 lug is essentially a 700 in many ways. You still deal with the potential malfunction on the 700- Double feeds and failure to extract. This isn't the case with the Mausingfield

The other big advantage of the Mausingfield is the adaptability of the Savage barrel nut (small shank). Esp for guys running barrel burner cartridges, it makes turn around a snap vs sending away your action to a smith. Literally, its made precision rifle building in ones garage a reality vs a likely expensive fiasco.

earthquake

Amateur
I hear a lot of praise for the Mausingfield. Though someone mentioned something about since its not a recessed(?) extractor design, if there's a miss-feed, it could strike the primer. Thoughts on that?

I got a quote from GAP that the Tempest is only about a 4-week wait after you order. I messed with one at SHOT this year and liked it enough.

Still leaning towards the Bighorn and have it from a good source that the new ownership there is releasing a new version of it at SHOT '16. Wait and see I suppose...

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
Its no were near the primer, or are you talking about the 1903 ejector?

For the most part its primarily a Mauser design, with some minor changes and updates (1903 Ejector, Toroidal Bolt Lugs, 700 footprint, etc...). But the effectivly its a Mauser 98. The controlled feed aspect of the 98k should prevent the scenario you mentioned from happening.

Last edited:

earthquake

Amateur
Yeah, it was probably the ejector which was under suspicion. Someone mentioned it striking a jammed case and detonating the primer before it could be put into battery. No idea if this is true, just one of those things that make ya think. I've yet to hear of it happening to anyone. Thanks for the reply.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
I actually would like more information the incident, as in links or contact info. I can foward it to Ted if he isn't aware of it already.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
I'm actually trying to envision a way that this is even possible with the controlled feed nature of the action, or if the ejector is even long enough to reach the primer itself. Since the 1903 ejector is in the rear portionMy hunch is that it is all supposition... or a deliberate hack job on the product itself by your usual internet troll.

Unfortunately, I don't have my (new) one in front of me so I have no way of seeing if this is even doable, but based on these pictures; I don't see any way that could even happen if you look at the shell, unless he had a hang fire, then as he extracted the yet to fire shell it went off. Unless you have an absolute failure of a magazine's feed-lips as well as round that somehow bypasses the bolt recess for the controlled feed....
springfield-ejector-bolt-action-rifle1.jpg